Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The stone from Jaber

lemon

The stone from Jaber -  flint with traces of high-tech processing in antiquity.

Characteristic features of the stone:
1. The hole, as from a laser, with frozen streams of molten stone.
2. Flat surface of one side.
3. Imprint of a cylindrical object, obviously of artificial origin.

Found in 2003 on the territory of the ancient abandoned fortress Kalaat Jaber, Syria.

Who can be interested in this artifact - scientists, collectors, someone else?

stone11.jpg

Edited by lemon

I think it's some kind of geological formation - although I couldn't say which one.  Something to do with erosion/weathering of different layers of stones in successive eras ... ?

• Like 3

totally natural of course. the clue is in the lighter coloured material....around the hole.... obviously a softer material embedded in the flint....so the first to erode too

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seeder said:

totally natural of course. the clue is in the lighter coloured material....around the hole.... obviously a softer material embedded in the flint....so the first to erode too

Looks like a water worn piece of iron stained chert that was formerly some soft sea life.

• Like 4

there are zillions of rocks with holes in.....including flint, heres another

e064bbdfe7477e7778378c89902fbb2a.jpg

and another

f7dc93d0-70ca-423a-83e0-875284662a8d.jpg

and thousands more

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=holes+in+flint&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5idXZkbfYAhURLlAKHf_IDfAQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=636#imgrc=_

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Probably an intrusion of some sort that eroded with times. 

That was gonna be my next statement. Limestone probably. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lemon said:

Found in 2003 on the territory of the ancient abandoned fortress Kalaat Jaber, Syria.

what makes it obviously of artificial origin? Flint forms on earth...so totally NATURAL in origin... and who and why would anyone shine a laser at a little rock? For what purpose?

and did they go around burning holes in the zillions of other rocks with holes in them?   Why then?

• Like 3

I go around and make cylindrical holes in rocks all the time. Don't need a laser to make a nice smooth hole.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Socks Junior said:

I go around and make cylindrical holes in rocks all the time. Don't need a laser to make a nice smooth hole.

Just a reed and some sand if your feeling Archaic about it.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Piney said:

Just a reed and some sand if your feeling Archaic about it.

Given time constraints, I typically feel "chainsaw and diamond tipped drill bit" about it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Socks Junior said:

Given time constraints, I typically feel "chainsaw and diamond tipped drill bit" about it.

70cc Stihl K12 if your feeling 21st Century.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

70cc Stihl K12 if your feeling 21st Century.

I wish. Should look into that, a little power wouldn't go amiss. We typically run 50cc Stihls - the MS261 specifically. The fancy carburetor chip is a bit of a miss in the 261c in my opinion, however.

• Like 1

It's a nice bit of flint (Hagstone, as someone called it, is the general name for natural stones with holes in them) but it's not high tech processing.

It would be a different case if the stone had been found in a group of other processed stones and with other evidence that was properly measured and recorded because it would tell us when the stone was drilled (if it was drilled, which is doubtful) and who did it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lemon said:

stone11.jpg

As often noted on previous occasions, working from photographs is inherently limited and thus problematic. That said:

1) Have you confirmed that this geofact is actually a "flint". Other than the potential high-silicate inclusion depicted in the lower right photograph, the material would appear to be a morphed sedimentary, hence the depositional layers and differential erosion.

2) It should be noted that the true flints occur in the outcrops of the Santonian and Campanian formations of western Europe.

3) Should the material actually prove to be of sedimentary origin, the initial perforation could be due to a number of causations including the primary context of sedimentary materials being deposited around a vegetal stalk (eg reed, etc.). Rather the inverse of the boring techniques as noted by Piney.

While this specimen would not appear to be fully consistent with the occurrence, gas bubbles in igneous materials can also result in circular voids. In some cases, such voids are known to have been culturally enhanced.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Socks Junior said:

I wish. Should look into that, a little power wouldn't go amiss. We typically run 50cc Stihls - the MS261 specifically. The fancy carburetor chip is a bit of a miss in the 261c in my opinion, however.

It doesn't like the ethanol. You either have a M-tronic that does or doesn't.  Buy canned pre-mixed fuel when they act wonky it usually solves the problem.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Piney said:

It doesn't like the ethanol. You either have a M-tronic that does or doesn't.  Buy canned pre-mixed fuel when they act wonky it usually solves the problem.

Usually don't have the pre-mixed stuff in our field area. But in the US I do enjoy it. Granted the M-tronic only died on us once, but that was enough to make me wary. The biggest danger to the machine is newbie operators, I believe. That was our problem this year.

• Like 3

seeder, Oniomancer
Can you show such a stone with a hole that looks like a melted one?

And why there are no comments about the flat area on the lower photos?

2 hours ago, lemon said:

seeder, Oniomancer
Can you show such a stone with a hole that looks like a melted one?

And why there are no comments about the flat area on the lower photos?

Why would they show a stone that looks melted when you have not?

There has been a comment relating to the flat spots. Someone has already noted that rocks with naturally occurring holes in them have been reworked by humans to alter both the hole and the other surfaces.

• Like 3

Let me show you stones with REALLY weird stuff in them....and perfectly FLAT spots....as you call it

2d53a7a12beb59d8f3d914e5c93d67d2--cubes-

1200px-Pyrite_Cubes.JPG

YES....they are REAL.....now what can make perfect metallic cubes appear in rock?   Were they made by aliens with lasers?

NO they are NATURAL FORMATIONS....of.... PYRITE. Yes...nature makes perfect metallic cubes in rock....so if NATURE can make cubes...in rock....then nature can make HOLES in rocks...see the link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_crystal_system

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

One more....again naturally formed cubes....way more interesting than holes in stones

This time these are .....salt cubes....nature made them too  :tu:

sal-cubes.jpg

http://www.wnd.com/2014/06/dead-sea-salt-cube-phenomenon-wows-worldwide/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Someone has already noted that rocks with naturally occurring holes in them have been reworked by humans to alter both the hole and the other surfaces.

1, 2, 3 - do you think that such   reworking could have some sense for an ancient person?

Or is it more like a print on a stone softened by a high temperature?

stone21.jpg

On 1/1/2018 at 9:30 AM, seeder said:

You fool. The lighter was placed there for scaling purposes. lol:lol:

(this post is a joke btw)