Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Zoo theory' may explain lack of alien visitors

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to 'Zoo theory' may explain lack of alien visitors

Ant farm, zoo...you say tomato.

• Like 3

Still saying that, with this giant universe we inhabit there is no need for a space faring civilization to visit and bother those irritable little apes on that one rocky planet. All resources they could possibly want can be harvested from an infinite number of other places without potentially dangerous natives, for example.

• Like 4

even here on earth there are a few eco systems that still lack human interaction, on this very planet there are entire species that humans have had no contact with, so it is most likely that we just havent crossed paths with intel life. to even make this possible though we need first to discover life off this planet in any form,
there is a remote possibility that we are wrong, god is real and we are all skrewed, damned to hell for thinking we were so smart.

11 minutes ago, grimsituation6 said:

even here on earth there are a few eco systems that still lack human interaction, on this very planet there are entire species that humans have had no contact with, so it is most likely that we just havent crossed paths with intel life. to even make this possible though we need first to discover life off this planet in any form,
there is a remote possibility that we are wrong, god is real and we are all skrewed, damned to hell for thinking we were so smart.

Why couldn't there be a God and aliens? 

And why would we be damned for trying to be smart?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Or that a certain race of extraterrestrials were the gods that is God in writings such as the Old Testament?

• Like 1

We are assuming firstly that aliens are able to do what for us is currently  impossble (or they live thousands of Earth years, with a different concept of time) to enable interstellar travel within a lifetime, and that of all  the billions and billions of planets they could visit they all coincidently come to this insignificant little rock at the precise moment in time when we exist.  

Mr Ockham has a shaving instrument ...... ;) 

17 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Or that a certain race of extraterrestrials were the gods that is God in writings such as the Old Testament?

If aliens are just irrational , obsessive, and violent characters in a very poorly written daytime soap opera, do we really want to meet them?  ;)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Essan said:

If aliens are just irrational , obsessive, and violent characters in a very poorly written daytime soap opera, do we really want to meet them?  ;)

I guess it depends which ones. I sure wouldn't want to meet the Old Testament god.lol!! Fire and Brimstone in his breath.:lol:

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

That's an argument I have never understood either. If anything I'd say the complete absence of aliens would be a better argument against (an) intelligent creator(s)...or an indication that they are lazy/easily distracted/didn't plan very well when they created the universe.
It has been suggested by various Christian thinkers and philosophers, for example, that the idea of extraterrestrial life would only be logical when considering an infinite and omnipotent God. When it comes down to it even a multiverse and quantum realities would be perfectly reconcilable with the ideas of Christianity and other religions.

Emanuel Swedenborg had this to say:

"Anyone with a sound intellect can know from many considerations that there are numerous worlds with people on them. Rational thought leads to the conclusion that massive bodies such as the planets, some of which are larger than our own earth, are not empty masses created merely to wander aimlessly around the sun, and shine with their feeble light on one planet. No, they must have a much greater purpose than that. . . . What would one planet be to God, who is infinite, and for whom thousands, or even tens of thousands of planets, all full of inhabitants, would be such a trifling matter as to be almost nothing?"

• Like 1

Possible reasons why an ET would visit Earth secretly

1) Do not want to cause shock to animals (Macropods can die from stress by simple human interaction)

2) Do not want to pass on any diseases (Green tree frogs die from human handling)

3) Do not want to get diseases back (Humans can catch terrible disease from animals)

4) Do not want to upset the hierachy or community structure (Dianne Fossey being accepted into the group.., not rushing in) 

5) Want to observe animals in natural habitat (Being seen.., changes animal behaviour and gives bad results)

6) Experiments (We send pregnant mice into space.., just to see research problems with their babies. Human scientists do not see this as a moral dilemma) 

7) Simply uninterested (We don't sort out monkey's daily problems regarding territory, and politics)

• Like 1

Ya, NO! stupid theory.

How about this, maybe they dont visit this place or if they do they visit only in short spurts because anything this close to a star starts to wither and die?

Maybe the answer to immortality is not living this close to a star that pummels us every second of every day with stuff we still cant detect. That is why aliens dont visit and if they do only shortly, they just dont want to get old and die.

6 hours ago, Essan said:

We are assuming firstly that aliens are able to do what for us is currently  impossble (or they live thousands of Earth years, with a different concept of time) to enable interstellar travel within a lifetime, and that of all  the bil uplions and billions of planets they could visit they all coincidently come to this insignificant little rock at the precise moment in time when we exist.  

I know what you're saying, but it bothers me everytime someone describes Earth as an " insignificant piece of rock". 

Just look at the numbers, it is extremely rare for intelligent life to form (we have only confirmed 1 planet so far, Earth) as we see endless planets with no sign of life. 

We are significant, just not the center of the universe and be-all end-all. 

Also while as a whole we may be far less advanced than any of these star trecking beings, but any individual can reach advanced levels themselves and rise above the masses, as some have I believe. 

Edited by Area201
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Area201 said:

I know what you're saying, but it bothers me everytime someone describes Earth as an " insignificant piece of rock". 

It *is* an insignificant piece of rock to the best of our knowledge. 

Just look at the numbers, it is extremely rare for intelligent life to form (we have only confirmed 1 planet so far, Earth)

How do you know this? Just because we cannot detect intelligent life does not mean it does not exist. Just means that perhaps we simply do not have the means to detect it (which is pretty obvious and openly stated that we simply do not - so far we, as in the human race, only have the means and technology to detect planets that *could* carry life as we know it).

as we see endless planets with no sign of life. 

No we don't. We have detected many planets - we just do not have the technology to determine whether they harbor life or not. 

We are significant, just not the center of the universe and be-all end-all. 

We are certainly significant as we see ourselves. Does by no measure mean that we are on a cosmic scale. By far, rather the opposite.

Also while as a whole we may be far less advanced than any of these star trecking beings, but any individual can reach advanced levels themselves and rise above the masses, as some have I believe. 

What?! :blink: Is that some religious mumbo-jumbo nonsense?!

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 3

so in other words he describes God

8 hours ago, Fila said:

Possible reasons why an ET would visit Earth secretly

1) Do not want to cause shock to animals (Macropods can die from stress by simple human interaction)

2) Do not want to pass on any diseases (Green tree frogs die from human handling)

3) Do not want to get diseases back (Humans can catch terrible disease from animals)

4) Do not want to upset the hierachy or community structure (Dianne Fossey being accepted into the group.., not rushing in) 

5) Want to observe animals in natural habitat (Being seen.., changes animal behaviour and gives bad results)

6) Experiments (We send pregnant mice into space.., just to see research problems with their babies. Human scientists do not see this as a moral dilemma) 

7) Simply uninterested (We don't sort out monkey's daily problems regarding territory, and politics)

This is a very naive way of looking at this subject. How would an alien race know about our diseases? You are thinking from a human's point of view...and not even other animals on this planet think like us...so to speculate an alien race would think any from that above list is quite frankly, absolutely ridiculous.

Jeeeze Fila, please tell me you are not being taught this kind of thinking at Uni,.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 9:08 PM, freetoroam said:

This is a very naive way of looking at this subject. How would an alien race know about our diseases?

The same way humans would. We figure it out after people get sick basically.

You are thinking from a human's point of view...and not even other animals on this planet think like us...so to speculate an alien race would think any from that above list is quite frankly, absolutely ridiculous

Yes I am thinking from a human POV. You can add to the list.., but technically cannot remove the possibilities. Because how can you be so sure some other race of beings n the universe would not think this way?

Jeeeze Fila, please tell me you are not being taught this kind of thinking at Uni,.

Coming up with a list of possibilities based on prior knowledge, facts and reasoning.., is not something I learnt in uni. No.

Edited by Fila

4 hours ago, goodgodno said:

Cave paintings found across the globe appear to show extraterrestrial beings and crafts. I believe there is a good chance we were discovered a couple thousand years ago, and whilst initially they weren't so discreet they have since changed their "policy" on interacting with us. Either that or they changed their line of communication to major world governments instread, but that's another can of worms.

I agree and great points!:tu:

• Like 1

Space aliens have replaced god .....

Once we needed to be "god's chosen people" to make us feel special and protected in a mad, crazy, inexplicable, terrifying world.   And now we need to have space aliens watching over us for the same reason.  Except it's not just a world but a whole universe .....

The idea that there is no god/no space aliens is just too horrifying for our delicate sensibilities to ever consider ....

Edit: for the record I believe that life is relatively common in the universe, but that technologically advanced life, capable of interstellar travel, is as common as it has been on Earth over the 3,500,000,000 years during which life here has existed..   Think about it ..... ;) 

Edited by Essan

7 hours ago, goodgodno said:

Cave paintings found across the globe appear to show extraterrestrial beings and crafts. I believe there is a good chance we were discovered a couple thousand years ago, and whilst initially they weren't so discreet they have since changed their "policy" on interacting with us. Either that or they changed their line of communication to major world governments instread, but that's another can of worms.

I've seen many of these ancient arts that are supposed to show ETs and crafts and they do not. The art is consistent with other images showing more mundane events. Seeing ETs and crafts is based on a lack of understanding of the art. The same sort of stories are attached to Medieval paintings and other art from that time period.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Today people believing in alien visitation see the art and think ET. The question is what did the people that created the art think about when they created it. It wasn't ET. The concepts represented in the Medieval art are well known. The concepts in the prehistoric art are less well known. But studies of the art are based on an examination of the art styles across a wide range of settlements rather than singled out images shown on UFO sites. In the American Southwest the symbolism exists in modern cultures such as the Hopi and Navajo and they are able to use their lore to understand at least some of the fantastic imagery in ancient art. It is not ET.

• Like 2

I think any advanced civilization would be AI related. Space is too harsh on true organic living beings for extended amounts of time. But, with that said I don't believe any have advanced to the point where they could actually travel here anyway. 

It's not clear how we could know that no extraterrestrial civilizations have advanced enough to reach Earth. Conditions appear to have been suitable in our galaxy, for life to have arisen a billion or more years before this occurred on Earth. Given a head start like that, and billions of planets on which life might attain intelligence, who can say what they might be capable of by now?

Even at velocities below that of light, civilizations could have spread gradually from star system to star system, and covered the entire galaxy as densely as they pleased, long before now. So concluded Dr, Enrico Fermi, over sixty years ago. Since then, increased scientific knowledge has made the prospects for life and intelligence in the galaxy look more and more promising. 

22 hours ago, Essan said:

We are assuming firstly that aliens are able to do what for us is currently  impossble (or they live thousands of Earth years, with a different concept of time) to enable interstellar travel within a lifetime, and that of all  the billions and billions of planets they could visit they all coincidently come to this insignificant little rock at the precise moment in time when we exist.  

We also assume that each alien race only visits the people/culture on earth they look most like. 

• Like 2