Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Millennials really Think of Donald Trump

Space Commander Travis

17 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

So what comes after Generation Z? See, they never think of these things do thay. 

It's like hurricane names. They start over with "A".

• Like 2

On 1/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

You forgot Generation X! Thus is ever the case.

Gen X is the first half of the baby bust period (1964-73), while the second half are called the Y.  I came to notice the second half of the boom period along with Gen X are more conservative or Republican than the 1946-55 and 1982-91 people. It has to do with experiences growing up under certain conditions in government, society and culture. 

20 hours ago, Solipsi Rai said:

Gen X is the first half of the baby bust period (1964-73), while the second half are called the Y.  I came to notice the second half of the boom period along with Gen X are more conservative or Republican than the 1946-55 and 1982-91 people. It has to do with experiences growing up under certain conditions in government, society and culture. 

I was born in 1974, and I always thought that I was smack dab in the middle of Generation X. You hear different descriptions from different individuals. There are various beginnings and ends of each age group. I don't really buy the whole concept. It's not just because people vary from each other. It's also because you have more in common with people, who are a few years older or younger than you, than you do with much older or much younger people in your assigned generation. The generations are too large to make sense. The oldest members, of a given generation, could be the parents of the youngest members.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I was born in 1974, and I always thought that I was smack dab in the middle of Generation X. You hear different descriptions from different individuals. There are various beginnings and ends of each age group. I don't really buy the whole concept. It's not just because people vary from each other. It's also because you have more in common with people, who are a few years older or younger than you, than you do with much older or much younger people in your assigned generation. The generations are too large to make sense. The oldest members, of a given generation, could be the parents of the youngest members.

I'm old enough (by a long shot) to be your father. :huh:

Baby boomer all the way here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

I'm old enough (by a long shot) to be your father. :huh:

Baby boomer all the way here.

I rarely hear that these days. I'm old enough to be the dad of most of the new celebrities that come and go after their fifteen minutes of fame. I don't even know who half of them are. They might as well be ancient Greek actors because their names are Greek to me, and it'll just get worse after I join the AARP in six years. :(:lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I rarely hear that these days. I'm old enough to be the dad of most of the new celebrities that come and go after their fifteen minutes of fame. I don't even know who half of them are. They might as well be ancient Greek actors because their names are Greek to me, and it'll just get worse after I join the AARP in six years. :(:lol:

AARP are a Liberal operation, not our style :lol:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

AARP are a Liberal operation, not our style :lol:

The age was 65 when I was a kid. Watch them lower it to 40 soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I was born in 1974

Agh sure you're just a pup. oops avatar - just a cub.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Agh sure you're just a pup. oops avatar - just a cub.

You're my new fave member. Check your mail for my check. ;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

The age was 65 when I was a kid. Watch them lower it to 40 soon.

I just read that they want to raise the age, at which adolescence ends, to the mid twenties. Mark my word; they'll raise it to 30 in a few years.

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I just read that they want to raise the age, at which adolescence ends, to the mid twenties. Mark my word; they'll raise it to 30 in a few years.

I have come across this too - but it does lend credence to a conversation that I am sure my of us have had, that the 18-20 years of today in many ways are not as prepared as other generations were for adulthood.

Personally I put it down to excess control and protection from parents. When previous generations were children - they walked to school themselves, came home and went out into the neighbourhood and played with friends, I remember on good days getting chucked out basically and told to be home for dinner. Today's society, whether for true reasons or perceptions of reality would balk at such loose parenting.

Adulthood is not something that magically arrives at 18 - its the result of experiencing life - which I think is 'held back' to an extent today for younger generations.

But then again I am guilty of rose coloured spectacles as all us oldies are.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

I was born in '63, the tail end of the Boomers. Always had more in common with the X'ers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RAyMO said:

I have come across this too - but it does lend credence to a conversation that I am sure my of us have had, that the 18-20 years of today in many ways are not as prepared as other generations were for adulthood.

Personally I put it down to excess control and protection from parents. When previous generations were children - they walked to school themselves, came home and went out into the neighbourhood and played with friends, I remember on good days getting chucked out basically and told to be home for dinner. Today's society, whether for true reasons or perceptions of reality would balk at such loose parenting.

Adulthood is not something that magically arrives at 18 - its the result of experiencing life - which I think is 'held back' to an extent today for younger generations.

It's hard to objectively view things through those pink lenses. I think that some things are objectively better or objectively worse now. On the plus side, we have more access to more information, some of which almost was impossible to find in the past. On the minus side, many people treat many adults like children, which bodes ill for our future. I'm not talking about younger adults living with their parents. There often are valid reasons for that, especially when money problems are involved in the situation. I'm talking about the continuing infantilization of a generation. There's a growing trend of treating men and women like boys and girls, and too many Millennials seem to be okay with that whereas prior generations would have balked at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I was born in '63, the tail end of the Boomers. Always had more in common with the X'ers.

Take heart. Douglas Coupland, who wrote *the* book on Generation X, starts the generation in your birth year. The lame Baby Boomer label has to do with an increase in the birthrate rather than shared ages and touchstones. It's silly to group you with people who are old enough to be your parents. I stay with the five-year rule. You share many things with people who are older or younger by five years. Of course, you share less with the extremes at either end, but it makes more sense than arbitrary labels that describe people born during a time span of ten to twenty years. By the way, how was Woodstock? ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That was the original thinking when the voting age in England was 30 or something, before the 20th c, that below that age people didn't have a mature and sophisticated enough view of the world to be able to choose correctly (i.e. for the ruling Establishment). This, I feel, would be the ideal solution to rid the political process of the problem of Millennials. :unsure: 

8 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Related to your point:

'Adolescence now lasts from 10 to 24'

Personally, I can see the trend in modern society, but it's also highly dependent on individual circumstances and environment. Some kids have a lot more on their plate, and have to grow up faster than most.

Some adults never grow up... like me :blush:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Some kids have a lot more on their plate, and have to grow up faster than most

yes I agree  - I should have been more specific in drawing boundaries - there are both individual reasons and whole continents where what I said doesn't apply.

15 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

That was the original thinking when the voting age in England was 30 or something, before the 20th c, that below that age people didn't have a mature and sophisticated enough view of the world to be able to choose correctly (i.e. for the ruling Establishment). This, I feel, would be the ideal solution to rid the political process of the problem of Millennials. :unsure: 

That was from the era when real children could date and marry real adults. They were deemed mature enough for marriage but not mature enough for suffrage. Leaders had a lack of logic, as well as morality, back then too. That aside, such a law would keep Oprah Winfrey out of the White House.

14 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Related to your point:

'Adolescence now lasts from 10 to 24'

Personally, I can see the trend in modern society, but it's also highly dependent on individual circumstances and environment. Some kids have a lot more on their plate, and have to grow up faster than most.

Some adults never grow up... like me :blush:

I glanced and glimpsed that story. The study wasn't based on hard science. Before I perused it, I mistakenly thought that it was based on just biology. "Experts" began to embrace the "undeveloped brain" theory a few years ago in what seemed like a campaign to infantilize young adults.