Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prince Philip asks is bearded man a terrorist

Still Waters

RiP Mr Warmth ... the Merchant of Venom

~

[00.03:53]

~

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I personally am not ginger, so really think that the people who could get offended would be ginger men with beards and no one else have the right to jump on the bandwagon looking for sympathy because of their sensitive feelings. 

Leave this to the ginger people, i am sick and tired of hearing other people using every opportunity to drag their religious or political feelings to the forefront when it has nothing to do with them.

As a ginger man with a beard I'm personally offended. This is me, being offended (and standing there with all my friends).

Brian beach 2012.jpg

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

As a ginger man with a beard I'm personally offended. This is me, being offended (and standing there with all my friends).

Brian beach 2012.jpg

LOL:P

I wanted to ask last time, but that beach....is that the prelude to a Tsumani or just a vast beach?

Where did all the water go? :huh:

It looks like the Bonneville salt flats or the Calif dry lake beds.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

LOL:P

I wanted to ask last time, but that beach....is that the prelude to a Tsumani or just a vast beach?

Where did all the water go? :huh:

It looks like the Bonneville salt flats or the Calif dry lake beds.

Just a beach at low tide near Nanaimo, B.C. (S.E. coast of Vancouver Island).

• Like 1

It's been half a century since Philip has uttered a word that wasn't offensive so how is this news?  Headline:  Sun Rises in the Morning, see page three for details.

• "I declare this thing open, whatever it is." (on a visit to Canada in 1969).
  • "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed" (during the 1981 recession).
  • "Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on." (shouted from the deck of Britannia in Belize in 1994 to the Queen who was chatting to her hosts on the quayside).
  • "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" (to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, during a 1995 walkabout).
  • "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?" (in 1996, amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting).
  • "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999).
  • "You are a woman, aren't you?"(In Kenya, in 1984, after accepting a small gift from a local woman).
  • "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed." (to British students in China, during the 1986 state visit).
  • "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands in 1994).
  • "You're too fat to be an astronaut." (to 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Philip he wanted to go into space. Salford, 2001).
  • "You look like a suicide bomber." (to a young female officer wearing a bullet-proof vest on Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, in 2002)
  • "The Philippines must be half empty as you're all here running the NHS." (on meeting a Filipino nurse at a Luton hospital in February 2013)

The list goes on and on.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Brian beach 2012.jpg

You look like a terro.....oh wait, no thats been done. 

You look a bit chilly out there

am i allowed to say that without offending a Texan? 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

He's a Canadian, don't worry about it. :lol:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

You look like a terro.....oh wait, no thats been done. 

You look a bit chilly out there

Ask Zed Zed. :D

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Ask Zed Zed. :D

The only thing I'm offended about is I can't grow a full beard. :lol:

• Like 2

Not sure what the problem is here. I like to play a little game called terrorist or hipster when my sons friends visit.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Yes, I think some people are way too sensitive.

I'm pretty sure "being offended" isn't fatal. When did we become a society that fears words?

Point taken, and for the most part you are right.  I love innapropriate humour, massive fan of Southpark, Family Guy and American Dad, love Satire and stand up like the example you posted.  I make innapropriate jokes at times, quite often have a giggle at the BBC’s sometimes quite obvious diversity policies.

However when I am at work I conduct myself with dignity and restraint and fully expect the recipients of my services to hold me to account.

There is a time and a place for everything.  If I had been the one making a casual terrorism joke because someone had a beard, while on official duties, it would probably mean disciplinary action, first offence.  If I did it repeatedly I would get the sack.

And while the comedian in the video you posted is right, sticks and stones and all that, that’s only true to a point.  We do teach our children to forget the insults and move on, but we also teach them not to insult others in the first place, because the truth is that sometimes insults do hurt, and in most cases insulting a random stranger will lead to nothing good.

It’s only in the last decade that we have begun to recognise the very real impacts of mental health.  As an extreme example Soldiers can come home unscathed, avoiding all the ‘sticks and stones’ but be so traumatised by their experiences that they may as well have been incapacitated.  So should we then take the comedians example, tell them it doesn’t hurt physically, maybe go back a hundred years call it shell shock and administer a round of electric shock treatment, then have a bit of a giggle about beards and flying body parts?

Now in this case, no harm done, the guy laughed it off.  Would it have been the same if the guy had been at Manchester in May last year?  Do you think Prince Philip made that mental assessment, does he ever stop to think about what he is saying.  He is a mature man, in a position of respect and seniority, he should *****ing we’ll know better.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I'm with him on the boy bands. 

Isn't there someone I can call?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Point taken, and for the most part you are right.  I love innapropriate humour, massive fan of Southpark, Family Guy and American Dad, love Satire and stand up like the example you posted.  I make innapropriate jokes at times, quite often have a giggle at the BBC’s sometimes quite obvious diversity policies.

However when I am at work I conduct myself with dignity and restraint and fully expect the recipients of my services to hold me to account.

There is a time and a place for everything.  If I had been the one making a casual terrorism joke because someone had a beard, while on official duties, it would probably mean disciplinary action, first offence.  If I did it repeatedly I would get the sack.

And while the comedian in the video you posted is right, sticks and stones and all that, that’s only true to a point.  We do teach our children to forget the insults and move on, but we also teach them not to insult others in the first place, because the truth is that sometimes insults do hurt, and in most cases insulting a random stranger will lead to nothing good.

It’s only in the last decade that we have begun to recognise the very real impacts of mental health.  As an extreme example Soldiers can come home unscathed, avoiding all the ‘sticks and stones’ but be so traumatised by their experiences that they may as well have been incapacitated.  So should we then take the comedians example, tell them it doesn’t hurt physically, maybe go back a hundred years call it shell shock and administer a round of electric shock treatment, then have a bit of a giggle about beards and flying body parts?

Now in this case, no harm done, the guy laughed it off.  Would it have been the same if the guy had been at Manchester in May last year?  Do you think Prince Philip made that mental assessment, does he ever stop to think about what he is saying.  He is a mature man, in a position of respect and seniority, he should *****ing we’ll know better.

Point equally taken :)

For my part, even though I can be pretty blunt and sarcastic at times, I was raised to be polite and respectful, and you're quite right, there is a time and a place.

I just don't think society is heading anywhere good with this extreme vetting of personal views. I'd rather see people speak freely, and let them stand or fall on the merit of their words, based on individual opinion rather than some modern media/social media witch hunt.

Prince Philip is undoubtedly a dinasour, born into a different era and a different social standing than most people alive today can comprehend. Generally, people recognize this and take his words with a pinch of salt. His grandkids are out there for those who want a more contemporary take on life, and they're being pretty well-received as far as I can tell.

Some people though, just want to be outraged at anything and everything that doesn't fit their world view. It's not healthy.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2018 at 2:29 PM, Essan said:

So, if you don't find it funny it's not a joke.   Ben Elton - and dozens of other comedians and writers,  made large fortunes out being very offensive and not the least bit funny ;)

in any case, he wasn't talking to you :P 

Point totally missed. Phillie the Greek has spent a long time making offensive comments that other people wouldn't dream of saying, with the knowledge that he is fireproof. But this surely should not mean that he has the right to be unpleasant to people who have to just take it. The comparison to Ben Elton and his humour is irrelevant. Most comedians get quite a lot of wellie back.

Who he was talking to is irrelevant. I can't even be bothered to explain why. If you think it is a relevant comment, good luck to you. It does mean, though, that if people make offensive, bigoted or aggressive comments in your presence but aimed at someone else, it is likewise none of your business.

Prince Philip is a dinosaur, but a very funny one. Sadly, his kind are heading towards extinction. Snowflakes are the future:

Wrapped in cotton wool inside their echo chambers, outraged by anybody who disagrees with them, and offended on everyone else's behalf.