Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Detectorist finds bishop's medieval ring

Black Monk

An amateur treasure hunter was left shaking with excitement after unearthing a 15th century bishop's ring in a farmer's field.

Metal detectorist Adam Day, 30, was astonished to make the discovery and knew immediately it was something special.

The 20-carat gold ring, engraved with St George, was found in a field near Beverley Minster in East Yorkshire and is thought to have once belonged to a bishop and is worth around £10,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5228751/500-year-old-bishops-set-fetch-10-000-auction.html

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 6

I found a Roman bronze ring in Bradford but I was told it wasn't worth anything and they were common. 

• Like 3

Nice looking ring, I especially like the flowers on it.

• Like 2

Someone help me here. Dude found the ring and he may auction it off?no rule that says he has to hand it over to a museum?

Hats of to him for giving farmer half, but surely if its the farmer's ground?-or do the farmers sign docs to say the guys may keep was is dug up?

3 hours ago, Piney said:

I found a Roman bronze ring in Bradford but I was told it wasn't worth anything and they were common. 

Can you wear it?

1 hour ago, DebDandelion said:

Someone help me here. Dude found the ring and he may auction it off?no rule that says he has to hand it over to a museum?

Hats of to him for giving farmer half, but surely if its the farmer's ground?-or do the farmers sign docs to say the guys may keep was is dug up?

Why on earth should you have to turn it in?  Someone lost something, someone found something.  No government or museum paid for the metal detector or the time and effort put in by the man who found it.  No museum or government paid for the land where it was found.  It's reasonable that he would have to auction it off in order to give the land owner his share for allowing him to look on his land, the truly unfortunate part being that the money gained at auction will be unjustly taxed by the government for no good reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DebDandelion said:

In the UK, there is a law in place governing finds like this, which gives proper compensation for the parties involved and insures museums get a chance to acquire the objects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Act_1996

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Everdred said:

In the UK, there is a law in place governing finds like this, which gives proper compensation for the parties involved and insures museums get a chance to acquire the objects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Act_1996

Thank you kindly

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

Can you wear it?

Why on earth should you have to turn it in?  Someone lost something, someone found something.  No government or museum paid for the metal detector or the time and effort put in by the man who found it.  No museum or government paid for the land where it was found.  It's reasonable that he would have to auction it off in order to give the land owner his share for allowing him to look on his land, the truly unfortunate part being that the money gained at auction will be unjustly taxed by the government for no good reason.

I guess I was raised differently...if you find something with historical value you follow a certain route. Was just surprised it didn't work the same way

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DebDandelion said:

I guess I was raised differently...if you find something with historical value you follow a certain route. Was just surprised it didn't work the same way

I understand what you're saying but I don't really see that this has much historical value because in the big scheme of things it's just an old gold ring.  Assuming that every or most bishops own a ring denoting office there are probably thousands of similar signet rings in existence so no real historical value.  If it could be proven to belong to someone historically important that would be a different story. 

It must have been a little tempting to pocket the ring and wear it around.  I think I would look rather good with it on my finger.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I understand what you're saying but I don't really see that this has much historical value because in the big scheme of things it's just an old gold ring.  Assuming that every or most bishops own a ring denoting office there are probably thousands of similar signet rings in existence so no real historical value.  If it could be proven to belong to someone historically important that would be a different story. 

It must have been a little tempting to pocket the ring and wear it around.  I think I would look rather good with it on my finger.

Didn't know that Bishops wear rings...meaning didn't know it is that common...makes sense what u say...thanks

• Like 1