Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help with some mummy humor?

rashore

I don't often post topics here, and I was a bit torn about where to post this one. It's a joke meme that I get the humor part of the text. So in jokes or here? I figured here for a couple reasons. First is that the folks maybe most likely to laugh are more here than in the jokes section. And second I wanted the joke explained a bit more, thought some other folks might enjoy the education with the humor.

So I chose here. I wanted to find out where the images come from, so googled it up. Comes up at King Tut... but my google search refinements still suck here, and all it turned up was jokes about the image. What is actually going on in this image? I realize it's some sort of scan.. is it really Tut? What/when is this scan going on?

26113778_10103537741968859_556880424025263777_n.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, rashore said:

I don't often post topics here, and I was a bit torn about where to post this one. It's a joke meme that I get the humor part of the text. So in jokes or here? I figured here for a couple reasons. First is that the folks maybe most likely to laugh are more here than in the jokes section. And second I wanted the joke explained a bit more, thought some other folks might enjoy the education with the humor.

So I chose here. I wanted to find out where the images come from, so googled it up. Comes up at King Tut... but my google search refinements still suck here, and all it turned up was jokes about the image. What is actually going on in this image? I realize it's some sort of scan.. is it really Tut? What/when is this scan going on?

rashore, I think this might help:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6791183/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/king-tut-mummy-undergoes-ct-scan/#.WkwBWN-nFPY

cormac

• Like 6

On January 2, 2018 at 3:39 PM, rashore said:

That made me laugh because I'm a Chicagoan, and one of Chicago's most famous sandwiches is the Italian beef. You can get one most anywhere in this town. And I never thought of it, but in this image Tut in his bed of cotton batting really does look like an Italian beef.

Yes, this is Tut being fed into an oven a CT scanner. Kenemet can correct me if I'm wrong but I recall it was 2005 and the first time Tut was scanned. They brought a semi into the Valley of the Kings, carried Tut out of his tomb, and scanned him inside the truck. They encountered quite a few problems trying to keep the scanner cool enough and ended up using cheap desk fans to save the day. They jokingly blamed it on the mummy's curse.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

2366F8D6-B5D3-4C2F-BC5B-EC1612B5591D.jpeg.ab158c37319abae8a6f76b10addea689.jpeg

Proof of aliens in the top right corner. Or a crested Ibis...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jarocal said:

Proof of aliens in the top right corner. Or a crested Ibis...

That's the incorrect use for the crested ibis (LOL).

There actually was a tomb with an inscription featuring a little alien spacecraft, but we of the Cabal carved it out and turned that into a crested ibis. :P

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

2366F8D6-B5D3-4C2F-BC5B-EC1612B5591D.jpeg.ab158c37319abae8a6f76b10addea689.jpeg

Just above the asp on the Pharaoh's headpiece, I can make out "I see your butt."

Harte

• Like 2

Right behind the woman's head is an arm and a water ripple that work with the next glyph to say, "Hand me the pie."

The thing between the two people looks like a mutant rabbit. Proof of alien genetic engineering?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harte said:

Just above the asp on the Pharaoh's headpiece, I can make out "I see your butt."

Harte

Note the correct context in relation to her hand ... it should be rendered as ' Your hand is on my butt '

~

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

Nah.  It's a parrot. And it's pining for the Fjords.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

Note the correct context in relation to her hand ... it should be rendered as ' Your hand is on my butt '

~

We can't see the entire register, so of course context is missing.

It could say "I (want/don't want to) see your butt."

Or "I see you (have a nice) butt.

Or "(Stop) looking at my butt."

Or even "Eye (will kick your) butt."

Harte

• Like 2

On 1/3/2018 at 11:22 PM, kmt_sesh said:

That made me laugh because I'm a Chicagoan, and one of Chicago's most famous sandwiches is the Italian beef. You can get one most anywhere in this town. And I never thought of it, but in this image Tut in his bed of cotton batting really does look like an Italian beef.

Yes, this is Tut being fed into an oven a CT scanner. Kenemet can correct me if I'm wrong but I recall it was 2005 and the first time Tut was scanned. They brought a semi into the Valley of the Kings, carried Tut out of his tomb, and scanned him inside the truck. They encountered quite a few problems trying to keep the scanner cool enough and ended up using cheap desk fans to save the day. They jokingly blamed it on the mummy's curse.

The food is one of the only things I miss about Chicago. Out here roast beef sandwich is a bucket of Gaucho and good luck finding a proper bun- it's all hot dog and sub buns around here, I gotta travel to find bomber or brat buns- because no, putting seeds on a hot dog bun does not make it a bomber or brat bun. I need to get out to Chicago after the weather is good again- I need to hit Chinatown and a couple other places to restock my pantry. Wonder if there is a place in town where I can get a bucket of beef and package of the buns separate for me to bring home.. I also wonder if Good Food down off 35th is still open, they have great potato loaf and meat dumplings. I was bummed to find out Reza's closed and my fave ethnic store on the northside is now a Binny's.

Anywho, I digress much into food. Tut does indeed look beefy. Why does he look beefy? He didn't come in the box like that, right? He was a wrapped up mummy originally? So modern folk unwrapped him and put him in a modern box on modern cotton batting for the scan? Does he live in that box, or is it just for scanning? Why is he so dark, age and the stuff used to mummify bodies?

1 hour ago, Harte said:

We can't see the entire register, so of course context is missing.

It could say "I (want/don't want to) see your butt."

Or "I see you (have a nice) butt.

Or "(Stop) looking at my butt."

Or even "Eye (will kick your) butt."

Harte

Hmmmm yes, I do  see your point, perhaps I should allay your concerns when I draw your kind attention to the staunch posture that the female of the pair is represented ... curious ways; these gender neutral languages do seems to be conforming to such different levels of the variable definitions available; when she clearly is depicted as having her left hand down the back of the Pharaoh's royal diaper.

:D

~

45 minutes ago, rashore said:

I gotta travel to find bomber or brat buns

Something tells me I would enjoy joining you on this particular merry hunt ...

:yes:

~

Edited by third_eye
double post bypass
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Hmmmm yes, I do  see your point, perhaps I should allay your concerns when I draw your kind attention to the staunch posture that the female of the pair is represented ... curious ways; these gender neutral languages do seems to be conforming to such different levels of the variable definitions available; when she clearly is depicted as having her left hand down the back of the Pharaoh's royal diaper.

:D

~

Something tells me I would enjoy joining you on this particular merry hunt ...

:yes:

~

Well, I like to think I'm not a bad traveling companion. It is a pretty drive, about 30-45 min away. It's also the closest place that has real Kaiser rolls too- because no, putting seeds on a hamburger bun does not make it a Kaiser roll, lol. Seriously. The smaller grocers closer to home have some limited bread selection sometimes. I do see hot dog/hamburger buns- and right next to them by the same company are the same breads with seeds on top marked and bomber/brat buns and Kaiser rolls. Most of the places in the area that sell items claiming to be kringle and crullers.. just selling danish and doughnut sticks. Yes, I'm picky- I grew up with outstanding bakeries and bakers in the kringle capitol of the U.S. :) KrispyKremes are utterly disgusting non-doughnuts, lol.

And getting back to eating Tut... ya can't slather Chicago beef onto a hot dog bun- I gotta imagine that would be like hauling Tut around on a stretcher made of toilet paper.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rashore said:

The food is one of the only things I miss about Chicago. Out here roast beef sandwich is a bucket of Gaucho and good luck finding a proper bun- it's all hot dog and sub buns around here, I gotta travel to find bomber or brat buns- because no, putting seeds on a hot dog bun does not make it a bomber or brat bun. I need to get out to Chicago after the weather is good again- I need to hit Chinatown and a couple other places to restock my pantry. Wonder if there is a place in town where I can get a bucket of beef and package of the buns separate for me to bring home.. I also wonder if Good Food down off 35th is still open, they have great potato loaf and meat dumplings. I was bummed to find out Reza's closed and my fave ethnic store on the northside is now a Binny's.

Well, you'll have to dig yourself out of that monster snowbank that has enfolded you, and get over here to Chicago. The Italian beefs are always here for you, not to mention all the other things you love. I tell you, I've never been a big fat of hot dogs, but eventually I caved in and tried myself a Chicago dog. Oh boy! It was love at first bite! I haven't been to Chinatown in ages, but no real need to. Where I live on the north side, there are quite a few excellent different Chinese and Thai places. I wasn't born and raised in Chicago, but one of my favorite things about this city is its wide variety of food.

Anywho, I digress much into food. Tut does indeed look beefy. Why does he look beefy? He didn't come in the box like that, right? He was a wrapped up mummy originally? So modern folk unwrapped him and put him in a modern box on modern cotton batting for the scan? Does he live in that box, or is it just for scanning? Why is he so dark, age and the stuff used to mummify bodies?

Tut's so dark because of the dry rub as well as the juice for...no, wait, that's the Italian beef again.

You can come to the Field Museum and see a pair of unwrapped mummies. They're a lot better preserved than Tut but have the same darkness. They date to about 700 years after Tut, which means Egypt in the Late Period. And during that period of history, they tended to use a lot of pine reason and other unguents as the bodies were being prepared. It's specifically the pine resin that turns the bodies so dark. After it was applied to the body in molten form, it probably oxidized pretty quickly and turned very dark.

Tut had a lot more resins applied to him than many New Kingdom mummies. Not everyone agrees with this, but I'm in the camp that believes his burial was rushed and his mummification not as well done as it could've been.

When Tut's tomb was found in 1922, it took them a long time just to get through the shrines and into his sarcophagus. That was around 1925, as I recall. But the embalmers 3,300 years ago had used so much resin that Tut's mummy was literally stuck to the floor of his coffin. Carter, Derry, and the others in the team handled the body quite roughly to free it from the coffin, and actually ended up sawing the mummy into pieces to free it (at the shoulders and elbows, hips and knees, across the abdomen; his head popped off as they were tryring to work the burial mask free). So Tut was a mess by the time they were done studying it in 1925. It was Carter and his team who built that tray of sand with the cotton batting, and Tut rests inside that to this day. It helps to hold his body together.

Poor Tut. Once the ruler of the most powerful nation on earth and the wealthiest living man...and now an Italian beef sandwich.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Well, you'll have to dig yourself out of that monster snowbank that has enfolded you, and get over here to Chicago. The Italian beefs are always here for you, not to mention all the other things you love. I tell you, I've never been a big fat of hot dogs, but eventually I caved in and tried myself a Chicago dog. Oh boy! It was love at first bite! I haven't been to Chinatown in ages, but no real need to. Where I live on the north side, there are quite a few excellent different Chinese and Thai places. I wasn't born and raised in Chicago, but one of my favorite things about this city is its wide variety of food.

Tut's so dark because of the dry rub as well as the juice for...no, wait, that's the Italian beef again.

You can come to the Field Museum and see a pair of unwrapped mummies. They're a lot better preserved than Tut but have the same darkness. They date to about 700 years after Tut, which means Egypt in the Late Period. And during that period of history, they tended to use a lot of pine reason and other unguents as the bodies were being prepared. It's specifically the pine resin that turns the bodies so dark. After it was applied to the body in molten form, it probably oxidized pretty quickly and turned very dark.

Tut had a lot more resins applied to him than many New Kingdom mummies. Not everyone agrees with this, but I'm in the camp that believes his burial was rushed and his mummification not as well done as it could've been.

When Tut's tomb was found in 1922, it took them a long time just to get through the shrines and into his sarcophagus. That was around 1925, as I recall. But the embalmers 3,300 years ago had used so much resin that Tut's mummy was literally stuck to the floor of his coffin. Carter, Derry, and the others in the team handled the body quite roughly to free it from the coffin, and actually ended up sawing the mummy into pieces to free it (at the shoulders and elbows, hips and knees, across the abdomen; his head popped off as they were tryring to work the burial mask free). So Tut was a mess by the time they were done studying it in 1925. It was Carter and his team who built that tray of sand with the cotton batting, and Tut rests inside that to this day. It helps to hold his body together.

Poor Tut. Once the ruler of the most powerful nation on earth and the wealthiest living man...and now an Italian beef sandwich.

Oh my gosh that poor mummy, I had no idea. Though jinkies, why didn't they just leave him glued into his coffin if he was glued in so heavily? Or chip the glue out from under him- were they less worried about damaging the mummy than they were the coffin? I don't know nothing about mummies, but it does sound like the folks doing it used too much resin.  Does that happen very often with mummies, or are they normally better.. um.. wrapped? Less sticky? Do mummies smell? Not of beefy goodness, lol. But pine resin is really scented stuff, does that last for the years sealed up in a coffin?

Heh, don't like hot dogs. Not a fan of Chicago dogs, though they can be a bit better than regular hot dogs. There was a dog place we used to walk to in the summer sometimes- everyone else would get dogs, I would get a sausage. They had a roast beef too, but it was meh.

I don't think I've been to the Field Museum since I was a kid. Been to the Museum of Science and Industry as an adult, haven't been there in almost a decade. Years ago as an adult I went to a live butterfly outdoor exhibit, but can't recall which museum it was at.

15 hours ago, rashore said:

Oh my gosh that poor mummy, I had no idea. Though jinkies, why didn't they just leave him glued into his coffin if he was glued in so heavily? Or chip the glue out from under him- were they less worried about damaging the mummy than they were the coffin? I don't know nothing about mummies, but it does sound like the folks doing it used too much resin.  Does that happen very often with mummies, or are they normally better.. um.. wrapped? Less sticky? Do mummies smell? Not of beefy goodness, lol. But pine resin is really scented stuff, does that last for the years sealed up in a coffin?

Heh, don't like hot dogs. Not a fan of Chicago dogs, though they can be a bit better than regular hot dogs. There was a dog place we used to walk to in the summer sometimes- everyone else would get dogs, I would get a sausage. They had a roast beef too, but it was meh.

I don't think I've been to the Field Museum since I was a kid. Been to the Museum of Science and Industry as an adult, haven't been there in almost a decade. Years ago as an adult I went to a live butterfly outdoor exhibit, but can't recall which museum it was at.

Carter and his team tried all sorts of things to free Tut's mummy, including chipping away wth a chisel. They also tried leaving the mummy in the sun to let the heat soften the resins and unguents, and even heating chisels to scrape away the gunk. It was the mid-1920s and paleopathology was still in its infancy, so human remains weren't always treated with the same degree of respect we observe today. In short, yes, the coffin was more valuable to them than the mummy. Resins and unguents, and even bitumen, became more and more liberally used starting in the New Kingdom, but no two mummies are the same. One might have oodles of resins and another very little. We have one mummy in our exhibit at the Field whose X-rays appear to show lots of reins below the bandages but none outside the bandages, but some fo our mummies from later on in date have copious amounts of resins on the bandages.

Our museum has three levels of basements, and in a large room in the midlevel is where mummies from different cultures are stored (those not generally on public display). It's the Egyptian mummies on which the resin was used. It's a pine resin. I've smelled these mummies, and because of them the human storage room smells sweetly of pine—not overpowering, but definitely noticeable. In other cases mummies have a kind of musty odor to me, but I've never smelled one that reeked. That usually happens only if a mummy gets damp or humid and grows mold—it's the mold devouring the ancient human tissue that you'd smell. I've never encountered this at our museum, but I've read of other museums that have experienced a "rotting" mummy or two. They're usually done for when that happens. But with modern conservation science, it tends to be an unlikely scenario nowadays.

Were Tut's tomb found today, in 2018, I can almost guarantee you he wouldn't be unwrapped. They would handle him as little as possible but would use CT scans to peer through the bandages. We've done a lot of that in our own museum. I find it fascinating. You will almost always learn a lot more this way than by unwrapping them.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

history-archeology-archaeologists-explor

Is that a crested Ibis glyph in the background?

• Like 2

284415-Oh-No.jpg

• Like 2

I work with a lot of kids at the museum, and I like showing them our mummies. Today was no different. Had some fun kids today. Some of the kids are a little put off by looking at an ancient dead body, so I try to ease the tension. I'll ask, as we look at the mummy, "Don't you want to give him a hug?"

The average child will grow bug-eyed at that comment and exclaim, "No way!"

I'll then say, "But you should always hug your mummy."

The kids don't always get it right away, but the moms almost always bust out laughing.

• Like 3