Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First bionic hand with a sense of touch

seeder

Woman receives bionic hand with sense of touch

Scientists in Rome have unveiled the first bionic hand with a sense of touch that can be worn outside a laboratory.

The recipient, Almerina Mascarello, who lost her left hand in an accident nearly a quarter of a century ago, said "it's almost like it's back again".

In 2014 the same international team produced the world's first feeling bionic hand.

But the sensory and computer equipment it was linked to was too large to leave the laboratory.

Now the technology is small enough to fit in a rucksack, making it portable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42430895

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure the technology already exists to embed the processor in the prosthetic. It just needs someone to design the packaging and port the software. This is my most favorite use of micro-technology and I am excited so many companies are embracing prosthetic enhancement. It will likely be a long while yet before they can make a Steve Austin, but it  has to be better than nothing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

I'm pretty sure the technology already exists to embed the processor in the prosthetic. It just needs someone to design the packaging and port the software. This is my most favorite use of micro-technology and I am excited so many companies are embracing prosthetic enhancement. It will likely be a long while yet before they can make a Steve Austin, but it  has to be better than nothing. 

29-Nintendo-Power-Glove-Fact-for.jpg

Needs a little work. lol

• Like 3

Considering that it wasn't that long ago that you had a briefcase size system for your cellphone. Look at them now. The tech is there, its the how that's missing. Good to see this kind of progress.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Considering that it wasn't that long ago that you had a briefcase size system for your cellphone. Look at them now. The tech is there, its the how that's missing. Good to see this kind of progress.

Really the only thing driving the size of devices now is the battery life and screen size. If the new graphene batteries work out as advertised it may be just screen size. Exciting times for tech! 

• Like 2

Asimo, a high tec robot......also has some sort of sensors in his 'robotic hands'

• Like 1