Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The End of Legal Marijuana?

Agent0range

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Do they currently have an affordable test that tells you if a person smoked or digested pot in the last couple hours?

I think it should be legal.   Tax the heck out of it.   Users would still get to buy it cheaper than now.   Cost to manufacture pack of 20 joints would be close to the same as with ciggs.   But instead of $6 a pck, tax them to the point where it is $20.   Still cheaper than buying 20 joints.  

No being legal does not need to mean employers can tolerate it with employees.   For safety reasons, I can understand them still drug testing.  

23 hours ago, OverSword said:

I'm the same way with pool.  After 2 or 2 1/2 beers I shoot like Minnesota Fats.  After 3 beers I'm as terrible as I am on none.

I'm mediocre at pool. I'm better at darts. I can play well drunk or sober. I was a dart shark in college. I sometimes played for money. I sometimes played against three or four people at the same time. I beat several house champions. I even thought about going pro.

• Like 3

Pot industry frets, then shrugs off Sessions' new policy

"The announcement was largely symbolic," said Patrick Moen, general counsel of Privateer Holdings, a Seattle-based venture capital firm that invests in marijuana businesses. "This kind of stunt will not have a substantial effect on the industry."

Moen noted Sessions' action doesn't change federal law, which includes a congressional provision barring authorities from spending federal money to prosecute medical marijuana operations that abide by state laws.

• Like 5

And that ... good folks ... is how you make a bigg'r bett'r swamp ...

~

• Like 3

Just to note, while Jeff Sessions appears to want to stop the demon weed, Australia is looking at ways to create a market from exporting the drug.

Link.

I believe there is money to be made.

• Like 3

my lady friend seems to enjoy the stuff, I however have never enjoyed the  mind bending effects of pot or any other drug I voted for it to be legal just for the tax moneys it would generate I would much prefer it if it ALL vanished without a trace. I won't even use it for the back pain I have been told it reduces ( by a Dr. and my lady friend)

I just don't think or feel that legalized drugs are a "good" thing for a person, family or society.

Drugs either "dumb down" or "speed up" a person in ways which are just not normal, or stable.

Speaking from many past years of personal use, (alcohol, pot, meth, cocaine, shrooms, LSD) I comment with at least some experience.

14 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I just don't think or feel that legalized drugs are a "good" thing for a person, family or society.

Drugs either "dumb down" or "speed up" a person in ways which are just not normal, or stable.

Speaking from many past years of personal use, (alcohol, pot, meth, cocaine, shrooms, LSD) I comment with at least some experience.

I think legalization could be good for a society while not necessarily being good for some individuals. People are going to use drugs whether theyre legal or not , the true question is whether its worth destroying someone's life over a personal choice they made for their body.

Hell in the wrong jurisdiction that cocaine you did could have put you in jail for 30+ years. 

• Like 5

I haven't smoked pot for over 20 years.   However, if I wanted a joint, I'm fairly confident that I could get one.   It'd take a few phone calls is all.  

The swing in $$ would be huge going from fighting it to taxing it.   

• Like 2

My gripe is not responsible drug "use", rather drug abuse. There is a difference, I guess.

Abuse is "abnormal use"

As opposed to occasional recreational use, abuse is far more intertwined in one's life, and partaking much more frequent.

But hey, to each their own. Been there, done that, as they say. No "halo" here.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:04 PM, Farmer77 said:

I grew up with secession talk in AK all the time and thought it was just insane. 

Fast forward to today and to be completely honest if that happens ill have to do some serious soul searching on the issue. 

That said I think the ruling political pendulum is winding up to take a massive swing to the left over the next couple of years so I don't know if it will ever have to get that far. 

I don't think so.  Yesterday I was watching George Stephanopolous and although very critical about Trumps twitter life seemed near gushing about some of his financial policies.  I thought I was in the twilight zone.  Maybe he was just playing devils advocate but I don't know.  Maybe he likes how much he is going to benefit long term from the new tax plan.

• Like 4

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OMG THIS IS JUST THE PERFECT GUY TO ARGUE AGAINST THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA!!!!!

A white Kansas state lawmaker arguing against the legalization of any use of marijuana suggested that it and other drugs were originally outlawed in part because blacks were "basically users" and "responded worst" to the drugs because of their "character makeup — their genetics and that."

Then he goes on to say the reasons marijuana was prohibited in the past

"What was the reason they did that?" he asked a crowd of about 60 people, none of whom were black. "One of the reasons why — I hate to say it — is the African Americans, they were basically users and they responded the worst off to those drugs. It's because of their character makeup — their genetics and that. And so basically what we're trying to do, is we're trying to do a complete reverse of the people not remembering what's happened in the past."

Link

and if you need more articles than that

Link to google search

• Like 6

he is half right, but if was not about blacks but mexicans, an easy reason to arrest them,   before that there was no such word as marijuana, it was called cannabis. 

• Like 3

And here is one of the actual reasons they want to keep it illegal.

Police in Cartersville, Georgia responded to a call of apparent gunshots on Saturday night, but what they found was a house party with nearly 100 people celebrating a 21st birthday.

When police arrived at the scene, something led them to believe there were drugs on the property. They reportedly entered the house without the permission of the partygoers, and after less than one ounce of marijuana was discovered by officers, 63 attendees were arrested and sent to jail because no claimed the drugs as theirs.

Link

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Responsible use.... party at home full of your friends.

Irresponsible abuse... pilot a plane full of your friends while "under the influence"

In your castle, do as you will (somewhat)

In public, affecting public, NOT.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2018 at 5:15 AM, pallidin said:

The health and functioning of citizens must be the priority, not appeasing drug-use activists.

The curbing of federal overreach should be the priority. Citizen's will find a way to be unhealthy or unable to function no matter the regulatory framework imposed by the federal government. Prohibition of Alcohol clearly made that point.

• Like 2

Look at Willie Nelson and how long he has been smoking pot. Does he look like he is a brain dead dolt, or just a normal guy who smokes pot?

• Like 3

On 1/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, OverSword said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OMG THIS IS JUST THE PERFECT GUY TO ARGUE AGAINST THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA!!!!!

Then he goes on to say the reasons marijuana was prohibited in the past

Link

and if you need more articles than that

Link to google search

That's in keeping with the historical underpinnings of the prohibition of marijuana, the big "jazz drug". Black citizens and Mexican individuals were seen as the primary pot heads. That Kansas politician sounds like a vestige of those unenlightened "Reefer Madness" days. He should be more concerned with what pain pills do to his constituents.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, OverSword said:

And what makes you believe that?  What government funded programs do that for alcohol or other legal drugs?

The healthcare system is now controlled by the government.  Those costs WILL be accrued by that system, therefore the government (US, WE) will have to fund it.

• Like 1