Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient model of the universe discovered

Still Waters

Mexican archaeologists have identified a stone “tetzacualco” – or shrine – that they think could have been constructed as a “miniature model of the universe”.

The structure is located in a pond on the side of the Iztaccihuatl volcano near Mexico City, on a site termed Nahualac.

In some ancient Mesoamerican myths concerning the creation of the world, the crocodile monster Cipactli floated on the primal waters and from its body the earth and sky were created.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nahualac-mexican-universe-structure-model-mexico-city-volcano-a8142551.html

• Like 5

Bet the fella that built it was burned alive at the stake ...

~

Awesome.  Again with the "Primeval Waters" idea at the formation of the universe....absolutely fascinating how many cultures share that idea?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lightly said:

Awesome.  Again with the "Primeval Waters" idea at the formation of the universe....absolutely fascinating how many cultures share that idea?

Traveling philosophy salesmen. 

• Like 4

Interesting read

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lightly said:

well I know my culture has it, I've herd of at least 4 other cultures having it, and i bet at least 2 more cultures with a shared origin of mine have that so I'd give a minimum estimate of 7... emphasis on minimum

Edit: Plus this one so 8, not sure how i forgot about it

Edited by _KB_
  • Like 1

Apparently, the belief in Water being involved in the formation of the Universe, or at least the Earth, was shared by the Egyptians, Greeks, southeast Asians, (China not so much?) and the belief traveled to the Americas....

another interesting thing,to me, is the imported belief in Sky Burials...those platforms for the dearly departed to fascilitate the transport of eyes, internal organs ,like the heart( which are generally the first things eaten and transported) to the great beyond by vultures and such.

That was practiced all over Anotolia and that whole region....it's just interesting to think about how,when,and by whom,the practice was brought to the Americas, and interesting to think about how powerful and enduring some beliefs really are?

• Like 3