Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blackbeard: Pirate reading habits revealed

Still Waters

Buccaneers aboard the flagship of notorious 18th-century pirate Blackbeard apparently enjoyed a rollicking read, according to an unlikely discovery in a cannon chamber.

A handful of paper scraps recovered from the wreck of Queen Anne's Revenge have been identified as fragments of the 1712 book A Voyage to the South Sea, and Round the World, Perform’d in the Years 1708, 1709, 1710 and 1711, by Captain Edward Cooke.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/blackbeard-pirate-book-cannon-revenge/

• Like 9

THat conniving sea laggard was probably searching for more treasure laden kingdoms ...

~

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

THat conniving sea laggard was probably searching for more treasure laden kingdoms ...

~

He just nicked loot from passing ships.

Unlike most other pirates, he was no tyrant. He commanded his vessels with the consent of their crews and there is no known account of his ever having harmed or murdered those whom he held captive. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

He just nicked loot from passing ships.

Unlike most other pirates, he was no tyrant. He commanded his vessels with the consent of their crews and there is no known account of his ever having harmed or murdered those whom he held captive. 

Perhaps he was looking for a nice spot to build his Dream Mansion and watch the sunsets in his later years ... a place to call ... 'My Kingdom'

~

Just now, Black Monk said:

The Republic of Pirates would have been a good spot: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates

Nahhhh ... Ol'Blackbeard himself would more likey a place to himself, from what I've read about 'im , he isn't that particular sort that socializes well ...

~

I don't know what ol' Blackbeard was reading, but I bet it was in arggghardback...

I know, I know... I'll get my coat :blush:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I know, I know... I'll get my coat :blush:

Git back in 'ere .. you

~

[00.00:53]

~

• Like 6

On 1/5/2018 at 3:17 PM, Black Monk said:

Unlike most other pirates, he was no tyrant. He commanded his vessels with the consent of their crews

Like the rest then. 

16 hours ago, oldrover said:

Like the rest then. 

That's not true. If pirates didn't like their captain because he was cowardly or brutal, they voted him out.

This never happened to Blackbeard who, unlike other pirates, didn't use force to get what he wanted but instead used terror on enemies. He lit fuses under his hat to frighten them. 

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, LV-426 said:

I don't know what ol' Blackbeard was reading, but I bet it was in arggghardback...

Now available on Sky TV but it's Paperview (Pay Per View?)

On 05/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, LV-426 said:

I know, I know... I'll get my coat

I'd best get mine too

getmecoat.gif

• Like 1