Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people believe the bible?

bigjim36

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Sometimes, they actually idolize people, such as L. Ron Hubbard. 

Or worse.......

• Like 4

Just now, Piney said:

Or worse.......

Yeah, I guess there is worse than L. Ron Hubbard.

There's Jim Jones and that Heaven's Gate guy.

• Like 6

Just now, ChaosRose said:

In particular, they wouldn't have any backing for whatever prejudices they hold dear. 

nail and head

• Like 5

That crazy guy who runs the Creation Museum (Ken Ham) actually said something about this.

He said something like how can I believe this bit over here if I don't believe this other bit.

He just thought it was an all or nothing situation. 

• Like 1

Except that if you believe it all, you run into believing some outrageously ridiculous things. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And they also find ways to justify it to themselves.

Fossils must have been put here by Satan to lead them astray, and such. 

• Like 5

It's actually amazing to see how they dance around facts.

They're not even touched by them. Not even slightly.

• Like 3

And everybody seems to want to be the Chosen Ones.

The few who are gonna make it up to the clouds so they can look down on the rest, and I dunno...gloat? 

• Like 5

And they think that believing what they want to believe will get them there. 

And let's face it...they want to believe this crazy stuff they believe. 

It makes them feel superior. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

It's actually amazing to see how they dance around facts.

They're not even touched by them. Not even slightly.

That's the thing that gets me, they deny all the overwhelming evidence because it doesn't fit with a saced text. I actually fell out with a long time friend who is transgender. She was born female and transitioned to male. However along the way became a born again Christian and believed the bible was literal. In his eyes god could do no wrong, except place him in the wrong body, but apparently this comes under free will. No matter the contradiction I argued he would try and dismiss it with bible quotes! 

Just now, bigjim36 said:

That's the thing that gets me, they deny all the overwhelming evidence because it doesn't fit with a saced text. I actually fell out with a long time friend who is transgender. She was born female and transitioned to male. However along the way became a born again Christian and believed the bible was literal. In his eyes god could do no wrong, except place him in the wrong body, but apparently this comes under free will. No matter the contradiction I argued he would try and dismiss it with bible quotes! 

How does he know he transitioned to the correct gender that God intended?

Better be celibate, just in case...or he's going to Hell along with the rest of us. 

Kidding. I know...that was mean.

• Haha 1

I have this outrageous idea that if there is a God, it doesn't want us to be stupid or believe ridiculous and easily provable falsehoods.

If there's some entity that wants us to be ignorant and stupid, then I propose that it's a) not God and b ) not good. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigjim36 said:

But "god" doesn't make mistakes. God is supposedly perfect. Whatever that actually means.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

But "god" doesn't make mistakes. God is supposedly perfect. Whatever that actually means.

And yet everything is flawed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So then you have to imagine that either there is no God and everything is just random, or...

whatever set this mess rolling isn't perfect, so it's probably not God.

And maybe it's not even good.

Edited by ChaosRose

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

And yet everything is flawed.

Which means that either god doesn't exist or that if god exist it doesn't care. 

Just now, ChaosRose said:

So then you have to imagine that either there is no God and everything is just random, or...

whatever set this mess rolling isn't perfect, so it's probably not God.

Get out of my head.:lol:

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Which means that either god doesn't exist or that if god exist it doesn't care. 

Or worse. It wanted an ant farm.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked