Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people believe the bible?

bigjim36

13 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

So tell me, can you not appreciate art? To fully appreciate art you must allow it to evoke in you the emotional message conveyed by its creator. The same for poetry, music and comedy. Do you never laugh spontaneously? These would be examples of external stimuli provoking you to feel something. The only thing you get to decide is how you react to the emotions you feel.

Edit - Sherapy raises a good example above. Sometimes emotions can be so powerful they even override your conscious decision making process completely. This is needed to survive events that would otherwise kill you if you didn't react first and think later.

No, you are able to construct the emotional response you want, to anything, once you  learn what emotions are, and how and why  we construct them.

if i see art i don't have to see it through the eyes of its creator i can see it through my own experiences I can construct a variety of diffeernt responses to a single piece of music or art.

To assume your environment controls your responses, rather than you constructing them, can be very limiting and even dangerous

You can allow a "spontaneous ' reaction in a non threatening environment,   although, personally, i am not certain there really anything truly spontaneous.  If you are fully aware and self conscious, then  you will know and understand why and how you are responding and it will be a conscious act.

The human mind can process so much data, so quickly, that it can make a conscious and intelligent decision, just as quickly as it can respond to an emotional stimuli  Flight or fight responses are more primitive animal responses, and inferior to an intelligent and logical response which strategises the most constructive outcomes,  and provides actions to achieve them.  Our mind gives us a huge survival edge over all other animals, who can only fight or flee  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A placebo is a fake treatment that can cause your body to react as if it were a real treatment.

A placebo and the placebo effect are two different things Xenofish.  A placebo has no power to heal.  When new medications are being tested for efficacy, they are tested against a placebo to determine their effectiveness in treating the thing they were designed to treat.  Placebo's are sometimes called "sugar pills" because they are not a medication.  They are used as the "control group" because they are not a treatment.  

The mind is a powerful thing, and certainly not completely understood.  Yes, the mind has the power to heal the body....and it has the power to harm the body.  Stress, physical and emotional can have a devastating effect on the body.  Muscle tension, knots, pain, etc. can be associated with stress.  Stress is a killer, it can tax the body's systems and overwhelm them.  

But there is a difference between the placebo effect and a faith healing.  There's not much in the way of scientific study of faith healings that I'm aware, and the ones that have been done don't show much benefit.  But that doesn't mean that faith healing is not a real thing or that some people are healers in some way that we don't understand.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I find it sad, but understandable, that you would actually believe that humans can only be motivated by self interest  Our minds allow us to chose any motivation we desire,  because the y allow us to construct any values and beliefs we want to 

Thus i could construct a belief that my  entire purpose is to serve others, to help them to make their lives better ,to educate them and care for them however possible  And i could believe this not to make me happy, but because it was the correct ethical and moral way to act, and believe, in order to improve humanity and enhance its chances of survival. 

I wont leave any genetic trace behind me, but i can make the world better for all humans who  come after me (or at least some of them)   i get nothing from this but then, I don't believe life is about getting, but about giving. 

Would that then be your self interest because you need to make a value for yourself?

jmccr8 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

This is not inevitable.  First you can chose not to be hurt by the actions of another.

Second you can manipulate your intellectual/emotional responses to, for example, decide that the person who hurt you is hurting and needs your help.

So if someone stabs you then you wouldn't feel any pain? I wasn't just talking about emotional pain but actual physical pain which is just as emotional as anything else.

There is no compulsion to react to an external stimuli in just one way. Indeed, as humans, we learn the conditioned responses to stimuli from  those around us when we are children.  

I never said there was, I said that you cannot control your reaction to certain external stimuli. These are called reflex actions and they can trigger the release of adrenalin (actually Epinephrine) into the body.  This in turn will provoke an autonomous physical effect in your body that is not under your conscious control and can affect your emotional state. I'm actually bored of arguing this point with you as you really don't seem to get it at all.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex

A reflex, or reflex action, is an involuntary and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus.[1][2] A reflex is made possible by neural pathways called reflex arcs which can act on an impulse before that impulse reaches the brain. The reflex is then an automatic response to a stimulus that does not receive or need conscious thought.[3]

Digest the above. Very important for you to understand before you read further.

if i see art i don't have to see it through the eyes of its creator i can see it through my own experiences I can construct a variety of diffeernt responses to a single piece of music or art.

To assume your environment controls your responses, rather than you constructing them, can be very limiting and even dangerous

I feel sorry for you in this case.  To never have a feeling be evoked in you by poetry, art or music,  to only have those feelings you choose to construct must make the world a very boring and insular place to be.  It goes a long way to explaining some stuff though.

Again you fail to understand.  Your environment does not control your response and I never stated that it did (except in reflex).  Environmental stimuli make you FEEL the emotion and in this you have no choice, but you can in most cases CHOOSE how to REACT to those feelings.  

The human mind can process so much data, so quickly, that it can make a conscious and intelligent decision, just as quickly as it can respond to an emotional stimuli  Flight or fight responses are more primitive animal responses, and inferior to an intelligent and logical response which strategises the most constructive outcomes,  and provides actions to achieve them.  Our mind gives us a huge survival edge over all other animals, who can only fight or flee  

You really need to catch up on your science reading:

http://theconversation.com/it-feels-instantaneous-but-how-long-does-it-really-take-to-think-a-thought-42392

Researchers think this triggered response emerges through activation of neural centers in the brain stem. These startle-elicited responses may be quicker because they involve a relatively shorter and less complex neural system – one that does not necessarily require the signal to travel all the way up to the more complex structures of the cerebral cortex. A debate could be had here as to whether or not these triggered responses are “thoughts,” because it can be questioned whether or not a true decision to act was made; but the reaction time differences of these responses illustrate the effect of neural factors such as distance and complexity. Involuntary reflexes, too, involve shorter and simpler circuitry and tend to take less time to execute than voluntary responses.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

So if someone stabs you then you wouldn't feel any pain? I wasn't just talking about emotional pain but actual physical pain which is just as emotional as anything else.

I never said there was, I said that you cannot control your reaction to certain external stimuli. These are called reflex actions and they can trigger the release of adrenalin (actually Epinephrine) into the body.  This in turn will provoke an autonomous physical effect in your body that is not under your conscious control and can affect your emotional state. I'm actually bored of arguing this point with you as you really don't seem to get it at all.  

I feel sorry for you in this case.  To never have a feeling be evoked in you by poetry, art or music,  to only have those feelings you choose to construct must make the world a very boring and insular place to be.  It goes a long way to explaining some stuff though.

Again you fail to understand.  Your environment does not control your response and I never stated that it did (except in reflex).  Environmental stimuli make you FEEL the emotion and in this you have no choice, but you can in most cases CHOOSE how to REACT to those feelings.  

http://theconversation.com/it-feels-instantaneous-but-how-long-does-it-really-take-to-think-a-thought-42392

Well if someone threatened Walker with a knife he would hold a freshly sharpened #2 pencil to his attacker's eye and describe how he would push it through the eye into the brain and explain how this would affect the individual. Of course he would be a gentleman about it as he would be in control of his emotions and it would be  an act of love not anger.:rolleyes::lol: I should add that there would be no self interest involved.:whistle:

jmccr8 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:
19 hours ago, MauriOra said:

No one and Nothing, can Make me feel anything I don't want to..

I Decide that.. Me..

I must disagree. You decide how you respond but you do not control the origin of the feelings themselves.

If someone hurts you then you will feel pain. You can chose to ignore it but you will still experience it. If someone hugs you, helps you or hinders you it causes you to feel emotion. This is because emotion is, in part, a system designed to provoke you to take action based on external stimuli you have received. You can consciously control it to a degree but to eliminate it completely would be detrimental.

Thank you for this. :tu:  I agree with you one hundred percent. I can not understand why some think they can control their emotions, when it is what it is, instinctual. I feel, when you try to feel something you actually don't, or deal understand or confront what you instinctual feel, I think that will cause conflict inside of you and it will cause more problems. I think, I have been more at peace these past years, when I acknowledge what I feel, and just see how I deal with it and handle it. 

18 hours ago, Sherapy said:
19 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Yes..

If I'm in a Room of Aggressive, People or Depressed people Or Happy People...Do I become One of These too??

It is My Decision, how I Choose to Feel..

This Room full of People, control their Feelings Not Mine.. I Do..

Mo..xx

What you are addressing is the affect portion of feelings meaning you simply give the label to an emotional experience . In this sense, we are in control, yet, meaning we are in control of simply “defining” the emotional experience. 

Our emotional nature is integral to our survival it is a complex system that is controlled by the brain, (this is a very basic explanation) it is these emotions that propel us or urge us to take action.

For ex: you are walking in from the garage at night and someone jumps out of the bushes and you scream (you didn’t stop and say oh I will scream now) and feel a strong urge to run for your life, (and now I will run). You find out it was your kid playing a joke on you, you get angry (emotion) self preservation it causes a lot of bodily systems to come into play and then you tell him/ her to not ever do that again it scared you half to death (affect emotion).

You were not in control of the emotion it was natural, a short burst of intensity that kicked into gear, spontaneously and then dissipated, you then go on to define the emotional experience and call it controlling your emotions. (affect emotion).

Bingo! Nicely put. :yes:  

While reading your post reply, I instantly imagine the situation where someone comes out from behind something and goes 'Boo!'. For that something to have idea how you would suddenly consider how you act, doesn't make sense to me. You didn't see it coming. That's how our instincts and reactions come in. I spook easily, so when someone quietly walks up from behind, (they don't mean to be quiet or sneaky) it's like I see something out of the corner of my eye, and I jump and more than likely softly squeak. It's afterwards, I apologize for my reaction, because at the time I didn't have all of the visual, audible, and other information to have a different response. 

I think our emotional instincts are there, to protect us, like you said. 

18 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

So tell me, can you not appreciate art? To fully appreciate art you must allow it to evoke in you the emotional message conveyed by its creator. The same for poetry, music and comedy. Do you never laugh spontaneously? These would be examples of external stimuli provoking you to feel something. The only thing you get to decide is how you react to the emotions you feel.

Edit - Sherapy raises a good example above. Sometimes emotions can be so powerful they even override your conscious decision making process completely. This is needed to survive events that would otherwise kill you if you didn't react first and think later.

The laughter makes a great example!! I think. :tu:  

17 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Yes, Miss Sherapy, made a great example..Props.!!

I Am my Environment and My Environment is Me..

I Am in Tune, and I Read the Play..

I never Ignore my Feelings, they are Signals to me of what's going on around me..

And I deal accordingly, with the Situation..

I am Psychic, I have Powers..I must be in Control of my Emotions, or the Not So Nice Spirits or Demons blah blah can mess with Me..And I Will Never Allow That...

Ever...!!!

Mo..xx

If you were blindfolded and led into another place, would you definitely know and describe your environment? 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Hmmm, a faith healing, eh! 

Are you going to share? 

There's really not much else to add that I can recall.  It was so long ago.  I don't think I was actively looking for or asking for a healing.  It was a surprise when the guy singled out my condition.  

If you are to ask me about Dean, I will tell you he is blessed with the gift of healing,and I highly recommend him.

I appreciate your healing story.  It may be that Dean has the gift of healing....or maybe he has the gift of placebo effect.  JK.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The answer is inherent in my statement. We have a scientific method and knowledge which we can apply to any real thing in our universe 

So it is actually impossible, without going into magical thinking, for a consciousness to evolve or exist separate  from the environment which has  produced it  

Any sufficiently advanced technology would seem to us like magic right?  I guess my point is that you're expressing terms and ideas based upon your own understanding.  God would be a being far beyond your understanding, or anyone's, and any ability to be understood.  So, you're speaking in terms you understand about something that can't be understood.

I just don't think it's logical and I don't think you've seen this point.  There is no way to determine what God is like, and therefore we have no way of knowing what is possible or impossible.  

Edited by Guyver
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I can not understand why some think they can control their emotions, when it is what it is, instinctual. 

Atamarie Ma'am,

Thankyou for Your Response..

Ok,

First Words...You can not Understand... So therein lies the first Clue..

I however, Do Understand..

I Think and Know, how to Control My Emotions, , It is With a Mind Directive...

Instinctual, ..

Yes, this is the Solar Plexus Energy, It is Orange ,  that Feeling in the Gut that tells You something's Not Right, or Danger may be ahead etc...INSTINCT...!!! Now, this Instinct, is picked up first In the Auric Field, then it is felt in the Physical, Because, I work with Energy, and Am Very Aware of My Self in My Surroundings, I feel out this Energy, and then I act Accordingly...

Our Emotions are the Effect of What we Think, and Feel.. If we think and Feel, that they are the Ruler of the Physical, than that is what It will Be...for You.. I know the Emotions are Not the Cause of the Effects, The Cause, or Creator of Said Emotions, Is You....And if you so wish, You can become Master or Mistress, over them, And not the Other Way around..

Peace to you and yours SD xx

Mo..xx

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

The laughter makes a great example!! I think. :tu:  

If you were blindfolded and led into another place, would you definitely know and describe your environment? 

Atamarie again Miss Dooright..

I Love Laughter, This is The Best Medicine, and it is Free, we should all Laugh More, its good For The Soul..

Ok,

Blindfolded, and Led into another Place, would I DEFINATELY know and Describe My Environment?

Well, firstly, I must give Consent to being Blindfolded and Led, I am the Boss of Me..,Secondly, I would not know, unless I tried it, so it is only a hypothesis for Now, however, 

I have the Utmost Faith and Belief in Me and My Power within and without, and Knowing that the Auric Field, picks up the Information First, before the Physical, I would Say.....YES..I COULD..!!!

I Believe In Me...Doubt is a Killer of the Power in Each of Us...

So I will Never Doubt Me, I Am my Best Friend, I know Me better than Anyone... I Love Me... And I know I Am What I think and Feel I Am..

I Am Beautiful and Powerful..

We All Are..!!!!

Peace again to you friend..xx

Mo..xx

• Like 2

17 hours ago, eight bits said:

Guyver

The problem with that analysis is that you have some ability to heal yourself, and administering a placebo might help to elicit that, possibly simply by giving the ability the chance to operate. For example, there is a recent thread on the kid-gloves board,

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/315061-for-those-who-dont-believe-in-christ/

wherein the OP cured her undiagnosed stomach complaint by meditating on a church building (and by an amazing coincidence, resting while she did so). In another incident, she found that she didn't need her ADD medication, the X-treatment persuading her to try a day without it, for the first time in a while.

The latter may have been more like Uri Geller's "restarting broken watches" than anything biomedical. The former may have been "lie down a while and maybe it will go away," a proven prescription, 'cause maybe it will go away.

I do agree that the mind is a powerful thing, and meditation can accomplish much.  I also believe that people believing (the placebo effect) can accomplish things.  But, have you ever seen open wounds heal overnight?

I've never seen or heard such a thing outside of movies......except for the time I just mentioned.  But whatever, there's just no explaining the unexplainable.  I do believe there are many possible answers to my experience.  Placebo effect is a possible answer, as is Christian faith healing.  In this particular case, I would put faith healer more probable than placebo effect.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Guyver said:

Any sufficiently advanced technology would seem to us like magic right?  I guess my point is that you're expressing terms and ideas based upon your own understanding.  God would be a being far beyond your understanding, or anyone's, and any ability to be understood.  So, you're speaking in terms you understand about something that can't be understood.

I just don't think it's logical and I don't think you've seen this point.  There is no way to determine what God is like, and therefore we have no way of knowing what is possible or impossible.  

I've seen the point.

It is expressed in both many theologies and a lot of science fiction.

I begin withe knowldge that god is (or a t least is capable of manifesting as) a real, solid, entity; interested in communicating with teaching,  protecting and empowering me.

I have to begin with that given fact 

So how does any entity come into existence, and evolve its own self aware intelligence/consciousness?

To answer this question we can ONLY logically use the science we have.  Everything else is magical thinking, or imagination, used to construct a god as we would like it to be.

Now if an entity exists beyond our understanding (and thus incapable of communicating with us) it cannot be a god for us, as it can do nothing for us. 

I suspect there are many such advanced beings in the universe who have no interest in us, and whom we would find incomprehensible Thus they cannot act as a god for us.  

if you KNOW god, then you can determine what it is like, by your experience with it;  it's words, responses, behaviours,  treatment of you, etc.

if you have no experience of a god  but want to believe in one,  then you are forced to construct a concpet of it from within your mind, using desire, need, imagination etc., or adopt a current concept from others.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Placebo effect is a possible answer, as is Christian faith healing.

Faith healer and reiki practitioner all use the placebo effect. It's the setting that do the work. The mood that is generated along with the expectations, the placebo treatment is just the "sugar pill". 

Back when I was practicing magick, I used to treat my sister in laws migraines with 'energy healing'. All it took was some priming and my hands one the side of her head. That let loose all those natural feel good chemicals. Her headache would be gone in minutes. She thought it was real, for me it was my first placebo experiment. Even did the same thing to my wife period cramps. You'd be amazed at what suggestion and expectation can do to a person.

• Like 2

Just now, Aquila King said:

I'm definitely saving this one. Nice little info-pic-thingy.

I am fascinated by the placebo effect. I feel it reaches a greater dynamic that just a sugar pill. Even things such as a 'lucky' shirt can engage a change in consciousness. Which might affect an individual based on their belief. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Faith healer and reiki practitioner all use the placebo effect. It's the setting that do the work. The mood that is generated along with the expectations, the placebo treatment is just the "sugar pill". 

Back when I was practicing magick, I used to treat my sister in laws migraines with 'energy healing'. All it took was some priming and my hands one the side of her head. That let loose all those natural feel good chemicals. Her headache would be gone in minutes. She thought it was real, for me it was my first placebo experiment. Even did the same thing to my wife period cramps. You'd be amazed at what suggestion and expectation can do to a person.

Hey xen..

Hope alls well in your world..

These healings also happened, because, Your Sister n Law and Your Wife, TRUSTED & BELIEVED in ....YOU..!!!

This Helped in the Desired Outcome..

The Reciprocation of Energy between You and them, Your Energy (placebo you say) of Healing, because your Desire was to Help, and Their Energy of Trust and Belief, In You..

This is How Energy Works..!!

Peace to you and yours Sir..xx

Mo..xx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I am fascinated by the placebo effect. I feel it reaches a greater dynamic that just a sugar pill. Even things such as a 'lucky' shirt can engage a change in consciousness. Which might affect an individual based on their belief. 

I have to admit, you've made me more interested in studying it's effects as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Ah i did wonder However physical pain is a product of the brain, and as you learn to control the  brain and mind you can control physical pain  Partly in response to the terrible wave of prescription opioid addiction and  the number of deaths from it ,modern medicine is looking at other ways of relieving and managing pain  Clinical trials have shown you can reduce pain by over 50% through mental techniques and come off opioid painkillers onto normal paracetamol types  I had a full tooth extracted last week i had a an anaesthetic while the tooth was pulled  But then simply used the mind to prevent any further pain. I Had no further pain killers a t all after the initial injection wore off.

It is BECAUSE pain, like all emotions is a construct of the mind, that we can use the mind to control it . 

Sorry  you are bored but that might be more that you know you are factually incorrect. Of course you can control our response to stimuli We LEARN responses to stimuli from birth and are conditioned to them. Thus we can relearn them. You can control reflex actions, so you do not release adrenalin when this might cause panic or you ca deliberately stimulate the release of Adrenalin if you require its help in a crisis.  

A human being is capable of ALWAYS  having conscious control of its body but this is a learned abilty You can regulate pulse rates release of hormones and other chemicals, blood pressure,   perception of pain  etc by using your mind. 

You totally misread what i wrote. Being in conscious control of your emotions is not a bad or limiting thing, it is an empowering and liberating thing.   If i want to feel grief I can, where it is appropriate but i chose whether i want to feel it and how much

I can fell(construct the emotional state of)  joy, happiness, peace or contentment on demand.

I can stop myself feeling anger or fear, or hatred or envy,  or jealousy.   It tales some time and some study to learn these skills.

It is not about eliminating emotion but putting you in control of them, where you should always be, so you don't hurt yourself or another when you lose control . 

Eenvironment, circumstance events etc don't control my emotions or responses, i control how i respond to those things This is not boring (for example it is a skill which requires discipline and practice) 

This is the evolved purpose of the human mind and self aware consciousness. It doesn't set me apart it makes me fully human. 

Again this is wrong  Haven't got time to read your source ATM but if you do a little research you will see how much data the mind can process in a second and how fast it can react The body is the limiting factor but it acts just a s quickly by positive command a s it does form an unconscious command  Basically the human brain  processes  400 BILLION pieces of information a second of which it is consciously aware of about 2000. When you learn to contact your subconscious and respond to it as you do your conscious mind, then more of this data is available to your conscious mind

If you want some real science, read this article. 

http://www.basicknowledge101.com/subjects/brain.html

The Brain has 400 miles of Capillaries, 86 Billion Microscopic Neuronsin constant Synaptic communication, making 10 quadrillion calculations every second. Each neuron is like a tiny branching tree, whose limbs reach out and touch other neurons making between 5,000 and 10,000 connections with other neurons, that’s more than 500 trillion connectionsperforming a dazzling array of complex mental processes every second, geared to generating and regulating oursensations and perceptions, how we reason, how wethink, our emotions, our mental images, our attention span, learning, and our memory which is essentially aPattern of connections between neurons. Protein 

What is the synaptic firing rate of the human brain?
200 times per second, 17.2 trillion action potentials?
The brain processes 400 Billion bits of information a second. BUT, we are ONLY aware of 2,000 of those?" -Dr. Joseph Dispenza, D.C.   The average "clock speed" of neurons in the brain is a mere 200 firings per second. 10 Mbits of information are transmitted along each optic nerve PER SECOND. But is transmission speed the same thing as processing speed? Brain processes data no faster than 60 bits per second? The brain processes around 0.1 quadrillion information bytes per second? The human body sends 11 million bits per second to the brain for processing, yet the conscious mind seems to be able to process only 50 bits per second? It appears that a tremendous amount of compression is taking place if 11 million bits are being reduced to less than 50. Note that the discrepancy between the amount of information being transmitted and the amount of information being processed is so large that any inaccuracy in the measurements is insignificant.

What Each Human Senses Processes?
eyes - 10,000,000 bits per second 
skin - 1,000,000 bits per second
ears - 100,000 bits per second
smell - 100,000 bits per second
taste - 1,000 bits per second 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Guyver

But, have you ever seen open wounds heal overnight?

Seen it? No. Read about it in clinical literature? Yes.

In this particular case, I would put faith healer more probable than placebo effect.

I don't know anything about your case, so I can't evaluate that statement. I respect that what you were healed of and exactly how is your bsuiness. I'd ask what it is about the faith healer that explains the good outcome, over and above anything you might have contributed to the transaction?

(Not just "placebo effect, but all contributions to the outcome that came from you. For example, if we set aside exceptional speed, then wound healing as such is not "placebo effect," but is or can be a capacity of the individual involved. Even many of the treatments, if administered, would be intended to foster that innate ability - to ensure that the wound isn't disturbed, that infection is prevented, etc., removing obstacles to achieving something that the injured person largely does themselves.)

• Like 2

On 1/21/2018 at 0:45 PM, simplybill said:

Thought experiments, such as the one in the video above, show the results of immediate gratification. We've all known people who pursue the gratification of alcohol, drugs, gambling, uninhibited sexuality, and so on. In my earlier post I used myself as an example. Unfortunately, I've also known people who pursued their temporary euphoria into an early grave.  

The path described in the Bible is completely the opposite. Rather than immediate gratification, the Bible speaks of fruit, as in :  "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." (Gal.5:22-23)

If you've ever planted a fruit tree, you know that the growth of the tree requires thoughtful planning, patience and endurance before the end result is evident. Yes, there's an element of immediate gratification built into Christianity, but the immediate gratification isn't the endgame that it is in drug abuse or alcoholism.  

On 1/21/2018 at 3:38 PM, XenoFish said:

Could you entertain the notion that it was an emotionally powered placebo?

Even his condition may have been psychosomatic? 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked