Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people believe the bible?

bigjim36

7 hours ago, eight bits said:
17 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Does the bible instruct it's readers in how to read it? Is there an instructional page at the beginning that says this, and does it point out those varying topics are part of each bit in the footnotes? 

No, there is no user instruction page. And if there were, there would be debates about what the instructions really meant, with some denominations where people don't move their lips as they read, versus other denominations which would consider that sacriligeous.

When I did Tarot card readings and such, the book that usually goes with it, explains that it has meanings that mean things, and to me, seems to explain how to do them. I mean, it has the default warning not to jump to conclusions about receiving the death card, and explain that it means change. :yes: My point, for something that can have so many interpretations in the presentation of it, at least there is 'instructions'. ;)  

In my secular raised point of view, referring to the bible, I would assume it's one book. Kind of assuming, the Torah, the Koran, and various other religious books, are their 'instructions' and such, contained in one book. But from my observations as a book seller and noticing on here and elswhere, , it seems more than that. And it's not just the 'old' and the 'new' testament, but varying versions of the bible, for various Christian beliefs. :blink:  And so, there are the 'translations', which, something I understand came after. (The bible wasn't originally written in English, right?) If those who believe everything in the bible, and there are varying bibles, which reader feels they're correct over the others?!?! 

I'm actually making a point in my thoughts over asking the question. The thing is, and you did answer my question ;) if it's to be believed, shouldn't there be default instructions in how to read it? 

Another thing though, I feel RM brought up something here, that made me go :o here. 8bits, have you come across this 'retro-causation'? Researching the term, after his posts, I came upon some sites discussing them, but to me, it doesn't seem to explain away material evidence like fossils and such and the age of them. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

You do realise there is deeper meaning in its texts? There is an advanced understanding of psychology, consciousness, how reality is created, philosophy, physics, maths, and systems thinking buried within its pages.

Well then maybe people shouldn't be exposed to the bible until they have a doctorate in all of those subjects just so that everyone is on the same page. There is a lot of creative interpretation that goes on with scriptures by people that sound like they know what they are talking about that is BS and guppies fall for it daily.

jmccr8

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eight bits said:

No, there is no user instruction page. And if there were, there would be debates about what the instructions really meant, with some denominations where people don't move their lips as they read, versus other denominations which would consider that sacriligeous.

:lol::tu:

jmccr8

• Like 3

Stubbly

The thing is, and you did answer my question ;) if it's to be believed, shouldn't there be default instructions in how to read it?

Hmm. It's not just that the Bible pulls together into one volume many different books, but they are many different kinds of books - national epic, quasi-history, acknowledged fiction (Ruth), not always acknowledged fiction (Daniel), letters, hymns, law codes, proverbs, ... it would be a very long instruction page that covered all of those different types and did justice to "how to read" each type.

Besides, most people don't read the whole thing anyway :) .

8bits, have you come across this 'retro-causation'? Researching the term, after his posts, I came upon some sites discussing them, but to me, it doesn't seem to explain away material evidence like fossils and such and the age of them.  

Retro-causation in the quantum mechanical sense does not explain fossils or their age or the age of the rocks and other geological features that surround the fossils. You are correct about that. Rome wasn't built in a day, and the Grand Canyon wasn't carved out in 6,000 years.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eight bits said:

8bits, have you come across this 'retro-causation'? Researching the term, after his posts, I came upon some sites discussing them, but to me, it doesn't seem to explain away material evidence like fossils and such and the age of them.  

Retro-causation in the quantum mechanical sense does not explain fossils or their age or the age of the rocks and other geological features that surround the fossils. You are correct about that. Rome wasn't built in a day, and the Grand Canyon wasn't carved out in 6,000 years.

Bingo! That's what I thought! :yes: 

And also good find, Podo! :tu: 

Young Earthers belong in the same lifeboat with Flat Earthers trying to open the same can without a can opener.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Young Earthers belong in the same lifeboat with Flat Earthers trying to open the same can without a can opener.

From the bottom. :w00t:

cormac

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

From the bottom. :w00t:

cormac

With apologies to Jerome K. Jerome.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Why are some people only prepared to take the most literal interpretation of the Bible and then shoot it down as make believe?

I'm questioning why people take it literally as there is overwhelming evidence that many of the events described never happened. Or are those the bits that are metaphors? Surely if it's not literal then it IS make believe? It's either fact or fiction isn't it? Those are the only two interpretations to be had with anything. 

You do realise there is deeper meaning in its texts?

Says who? People who want to believe in it? 

There is an advanced understanding of psychology, consciousness, how reality is created, philosophy, physics, maths, and systems thinking buried within its pages.

No there isn't. If you believe that then you're clearly trying hard to find examples. In fact, go through each bit and find me a biblical example complete with quote and references. You mist know them since you claim they're there.

With the world being 6000 years old you have a limited understanding of causation limited to linear causality with time flow in one direction. There are several types of causation proven to exist in physics. Including the present creating the past which is called retro-causation. That means you can create a universe 6000 years ago as the moment of creation but running backwards from that point create the history to go with it. Get your head around that.

Now you're just spouting bullsh*t. Clearly been taking tips from mr walker! Again show me these "proven" types of causation in physics. There's a few unproven theories out there but please provide some links to peer reviewed research and papers that are accepted as fact amongst the scientific community. Get your head around the fact that without proof your argument means nothing.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 0:47 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Why are some people only prepared to take the most literal interpretation of the Bible and then shoot it down as make believe?

You do realise there is deeper meaning in its texts? There is an advanced understanding of psychology, consciousness, how reality is created, philosophy, physics, maths, and systems thinking buried within its pages.

With the world being 6000 years old you have a limited understanding of causation limited to linear causality with time flow in one direction. There are several types of causation proven to exist in physics. Including the present creating the past which is called retro-causation. That means you can create a universe 6000 years ago as the moment of creation but running backwards from that point create the history to go with it. Get your head around that.

A better question would be why are some people still idolizing an old book with such fervor that they can't see it has been largely disproved?

It's incredible to watch the extravagant dance people have to do to avoid the cognitive dissonance they would otherwise experience.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2018 at 0:47 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Please provide some examples.  I am especially interested in the bible references that speak to the understanding of how reality is created, and also what you find in physics there. 

I think one may be better served by wrapping ones' head around four dimensional mathematics first, since it's real.  Retro-causation isn't real except as an idea - and judging by your statement above it's not even a good one.  The idea that something could exist before it was created in a physical sense is obviously nonsensical.  And if you were to create a universe at a point in time six thousand years ago, there would be nothing to run backwards to.  

In any event, I don't know what any of this has to do with believing in the bible - nothing as far as I can tell.  

• Like 4

On 2/1/2018 at 2:47 PM, RabidMongoose said:

You can therefore give a citation/provide evidence that retro-causation in physics "is proven" then, can you not? Would be interested in seeing this alleged proof.

cormac

• Like 2

On 2/3/2018 at 0:57 PM, cormac mac airt said:

You can therefore give a citation/provide evidence that retro-causation in physics "is proven" then, can you not? Would be interested in seeing this alleged proof.

cormac

As it's been over 24 hours it appears the answer to my question is NO. 

cormac

• Like 2

I think rabidmongoose has realised the futility of his situation, that he's spouting gibberish and people have asked him to prove his outlandish statements. Clearly he can't and I think we all know the reason why. Poor mongoose. Maybe a cobra got him? 

• Like 3

This thread is still open, and the topic is believing the bible.....so....yeah.  Weird how so many threads spin out and fail here.  Anyway, in the now closed "Messiah bring us" thread in the other section; the last page - quite a good throw down rant.  I really enjoyed it, especially the part about forum butt sniffers.  

In any event, the poster seems to be rather incredulous that some people criticize the bible because "God" tells people to kill people in the bible, and even kills people himself, while hating others and wishing to kill them.  This "Christian" person was challenging those of us who criticize this, to provide evidence that the bible actually makes these claims.

I mean, that's just such a fail.  I guess that person has never read the bible.  But, so I'm not considered lazy........I can think of a half dozen references off the top of my head of this sort of thing. 

The first is God himself killing EVERYONE in the flood story.  Genesis 6:7 and following.

Next, is the man whom *God* told Moses to kill for picking up sticks on the Sabbath.  Numbers 15.  Ironically, in the immediate verses preceeding this, it was given how to be forgiven for violotating these laws with a sacrifice.  Ooops.  

I could go on and on.  The angel of the Lord killed 180,000 Assyrians in one night, the angel of the Lord stood by the threshing floor and killed the "Lord's People" etc, and so forth.  There are so many examples of this I can't even believe the person said anything.

How about one of the several genocides recorded in the bible, this one from Deuteronomy chapter 2?

" We took all his cities at that time, and we utterly destroyed the men, women, and little ones of every city; we left none remaining. 

35 We took only the livestock as plunder for ourselves, with the spoil of the cities which we took."

See that?  "God" told them to kill the little children and so they did.  But they let the animals live this time.  The guy from the other thread doesn't even have a clue what the bible says.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Guyver said:

This thread is still open, and the topic is believing the bible.....so....yeah.  Weird how so many threads spin out and fail here.  Anyway, in the now closed "Messiah bring us" thread in the other section; the last page - quite a good throw down rant.  I really enjoyed it, especially the part about forum butt sniffers.  

In any event, the poster seems to be rather incredulous that some people criticize the bible because "God" tells people to kill people in the bible, and even kills people himself, while hating others and wishing to kill them.  This "Christian" person was challenging those of us who criticize this, to provide evidence that the bible actually makes these claims.

I mean, that's just such a fail.  I guess that person has never read the bible.  But, so I'm not considered lazy........I can think of a half dozen references off the top of my head of this sort of thing. 

The first is God himself killing EVERYONE in the flood story.  Genesis 6:7 and following.

Next, is the man whom *God* told Moses to kill for picking up sticks on the Sabbath.  Numbers 15.  Ironically, in the immediate verses preceeding this, it was given how to be forgiven for violotating these laws with a sacrifice.  Ooops.  

I could go on and on.  The angel of the Lord killed 180,000 Assyrians in one night, the angel of the Lord stood by the threshing floor and killed the "Lord's People" etc, and so forth.  There are so many examples of this I can't even believe the person said anything.

How about one of the several genocides recorded in the bible, this one from Deuteronomy chapter 2?

" We took all his cities at that time, and we utterly destroyed the men, women, and little ones of every city; we left none remaining. 

35 We took only the livestock as plunder for ourselves, with the spoil of the cities which we took."

See that?  "God" told them to kill the little children and so they did.  But they let the animals live this time.  The guy from the other thread doesn't even have a clue what the bible says.  

You've spent years studying the bible you said. 

Do you honestly believe that God is a muderer and that the bible narratives that say that he is, aren't just in error as to the truth about God?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you honestly believe that God is a muderer and that the bible narratives that say that he is, aren't just in error as to the truth about God?

Hi Will

Then I guess the onus is on you to show that the bible had been manipulated and to what end and by who. Do you have documentation that shows what the original bible said or are you suggesting that the whole book is a fabrication?

jmccr8 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Will

Then I guess the onus is on you to show that the bible had been manipulated and to what end and by who. Do you have documentation that shows what the original bible said or are you suggesting that the whole book is a fabrication?

jmccr8 

You're kidding right? You already know that I do.

And you have it too.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

Just now, Will Due said:

You're kidding right. You already know that I do.

And you have it too.

Hi Will

If you make a claim in a thread then whether I know or not is irrelevant as I am not the only one that is reading your post and you directly responded to a post by another member. It's not just about me so no I am not kidding.

jmccr8 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Will

If you make a claim in a thread then whether I know or not is irrelevant as I am not the only one that is reading your post and you directly responded to a post by another member. It's not just about me so no I am not kidding.

jmccr8 

I'll wait to hear from Guyver. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I'll wait to hear from Guyver. 

Okay Will,

If that is your choice then so be it, generally, a discussion forum is considered as a place where people discuss things and an exchange occurs. But if you don't want to engage all the members that read and don't respond then your point dies if you only wish to limit who can question your position.

jmccr8

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Okay Will,

If that is your choice then so be it, generally, a discussion forum is considered as a place where people discuss things and an exchange occurs. But if you don't want to engage all the members that read and don't respond then your point dies if you only wish to limit who can question your position.

jmccr8

What position? I asked Guyver a question. I didn't state a position.

7 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What position? I asked Guyver a question. I didn't state a position.

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Hi Will,

Yes, it was a question that makes a claim that there are errors in the bible because Guyver gave bible quotes that you disagree the validity of, so that would be a position that you have claimed.

jmccr8

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Will,

Yes, it was a question that makes a claim that there are errors in the bible because Guyver gave bible quotes that you disagree the validity of, so that would be a position that you have claimed.

jmccr8

Do you believe every word in the Bible is true?

• Like 1

• The topic was locked