Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people believe the bible?

bigjim36

38 minutes ago, rhysinspire said:

Their mind shuts off everything non-bible and they believe in the Bible indefinitely (my close friend is like this sadly). 

To me, it's the contrary. The Bible opened up new realms of possiblity.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, rhysinspire said:

Why do some people believe the Bible is literal? Because they chose to. There was a time they hit rock-bottom in their lives and nothing to believe in so Bible came along and they are like "Holy S**t this makes sense!" and they became a Believer. Some are being told the day they were born that everything in the Bible is True - and when they face life challenges and so happens the Bible told them so and, they go "OMG! The Bible explains and understands my situation entirely!" Then they either take it positively OR...  

Their mind shuts off everything non-bible and they believe in the Bible indefinitely (my close friend is like this sadly). 

Your post reminds me of this experiment 

4 hours ago, rhysinspire said:

Why do some people believe the Bible is literal? Because they chose to.

True. It is called having Faith. It is considered the highest praise to follow God out of faith, with zero evidence.

In my experience it is people who have hit rock bottom that fall away from Religion. They will adamantly pronounce they don't believe in God anymore because of whatever event caused them to hit bottom. Some of these people do eventually turn back to the Church, but IMHO it isn't rock bottom people who go to church every weekend and keep religion going. Those are middle class to wealthy folks in my experience. 

7 hours ago, Guyver said:

But therein lies the problem if you’re gonna believe the Bible.  Where do you draw the line between saying you believe it and then doing what it says?  It does in fact say that Christians can handle snakes, drink poison and have power over all the works of the enemy.  Not only that, it says they can heal the sick people and Jesus would do whatever they ask.

And also it says not to put the Lord your God to the test.

Those scriptures are intended to be for those who randomly wander into a snake, or drink something someone tries to kill them with, and such. It was not, IMHO, meant to be used for religious services.

1 hour ago, Scudbuster said:

Despair is the farm system of the church and its bible:

Easy to brainwash.jpg

I find those who are influenced by fear are the ones who most attribute that to everyone else. Because they live fear, they find it to be the easiest reason others do just about anything.

11 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Past evidences are no proof  of future  occurrences Eg every time you switch on a light you do so in faith.  You don't go and check the bulb and the switch box every time, before turning on the light. You switch it on and hope it is working.  Past experience is no guarantee of future performance  

I don't switch a light switch and 'hope' it is working; the thought of 'hope' never crosses my mind.  You are making the mistake of thinking I'm looking for guarantees.  If I let go of a rock do I 'have faith' that it will fall to the ground?  Sure that happens the vast majority of the time, but there's no guarantee it will this time. Where in any of your analysis is the rather basic concept of probabilities?  Faith is usually contrasted with evidence-based; if you want to smash those together and dilute what 'faith' means, that's certainly you're prerogative.  If you really want to break it down, when I turn on a light switch I'm expecting that 99%+ of the time the light will go on and 1% it won't.  I don't need faith there, I can account for multiple outcomes at once, I am turning the switch to turn the light on, or to change the light bulb if it's burned out and then have the light come on.  I don't need hope nor faith in that decision, whatever happens when I flick the switch is expected and fulfills the purpose of my turning it on.

12 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I repeat. You have faith in the weather bureau. 

If only merely saying it made it so.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Such as the flat earth.

• Like 3

I don't find flat Earth in the bible.  The motion of the sun is described as circuit in the bible.  Circuit has as its root - circle which means round.  

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

I don't find flat Earth in the bible.  The motion of the sun is described as circuit in the bible.  Circuit has as its root - circle which means round.  

Think about it...

Psalm 19:6

"6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hid from its heat."

Ecclesiastes 1:5

"5 The sun rises and the sun goes down, and hurries to the place where it rises."

Joshua 10:12-14

"12 On the day when the LORD gave the Amorites over to the Israelites, Joshua spoke to the LORD; and he said in the sight of Israel,"Sun, stand still at Gibeon,
and Moon, in the valley of Aijalon."
13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, until the nation took vengeance on their enemies.

Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? The sun stopped in midheaven, and did not hurry to set for about a whole day. 14 There has been no day like it before or since, when the LORD heeded a human voice; for the LORD fought for Israel."

9ed7f46efda51bed96fb306acb1df68f.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/15/2018 at 2:01 AM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

That's the not so miraculous Holy Dopamine Ghost. ;)

tumblr_oy6myrqHKq1uk5vmso2_400.gif

• Like 2

On 16/02/2018 at 10:11 AM, Guyver said:

Another thing 

For the sun to have stood still in the sky the sun would have to revolve around the earth, otherwise the earth would have stood still 

Joshua prayed that God help the Israelites in their battle by stopping the sun: “Then Joshua spoke to the Lord on the day when the Lord delivered the Amorites before the children of Israel; and he said in the sight of Israel: 'Sun, stand still [dom] upon Gibeon; and you, Moon, in the valley of Ayalon.'” (Joshua 10:12).

• Like 2

On 2/17/2018 at 1:55 AM, psyche101 said:

Another thing 

For the sun to have stood still in the sky the sun would have to revolve around the earth, otherwise the earth would have stood still 

Joshua prayed that God help the Israelites in their battle by stopping the sun: “Then Joshua spoke to the Lord on the day when the Lord delivered the Amorites before the children of Israel; and he said in the sight of Israel: 'Sun, stand still [dom] upon Gibeon; and you, Moon, in the valley of Ayalon.'” (Joshua 10:12).

And another thing:

In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth...and the Earth was void and without form and darkness was upon the face of the deep.  And God said let there be light...and there was light...

...that might be a very good point of reference for the big bang theory...except that it continues....

...and God saw the light that it was good.  And God divided the darkness from the light.  The light he called Day and the darkness he called Night...and the morning and the evening were the first day...
...and then on the fourth day...God created the Sun.  
This story shows that the author had zero idea of anything about how the Universe is actually constructed.  This on it's face should prove that the entire creation story is bogus.  
...and then this....and God created the stars also, for signs, and for seasons...
almost as an after thought...ok, so...what were the trillions of galaxies we can't even see created for?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

And another thing:

In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth...and the Earth was void and without form and darkness was upon the face of the deep.  And God said let there be light...and there was light...

...that might be a very good point of reference for the big bang theory...except that it continues....

...and God saw the light that it was good.  And God divided the darkness from the light.  The light he called Day and the darkness he called Night...and the morning and the evening were the first day...
This story shows that the author had zero idea of anything about how the Universe is actually constructed.  This on it's face should prove that the entire creation story is bogus.  
...and then this....and God created the stars also, for signs, and for seasons...
almost as an after thought...ok, so...what were the trillions of galaxies we can't even see created for?

Hi Joc

They were created for plausible deniability every leader needs a buffer zone.:whistle:

jmccr8

• Like 2

22 hours ago, joc said:

And another thing:

Good call :tu:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, joc said:

John 8:12

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."

Malachi 4:2

"But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Edited by Mystic Crusader
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

John 8:12

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."

Malachi 4:2

"But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Is that somehow suppose to invalidate the fact that the creation story is unbelievable?

Just now, joc said:

Is that somehow suppose to invalidate the fact that the creation story is unbelievable?

Creation before the creator....

I'm validating that is unbelievable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

Creation before the creator....

I'm validating that is unbelievable.

Okay.  But....that does beg the question:

At what point, and by what action, was the Creator brought into existence?   

And it also begs other questions:

How does The Universe become created without a transference of energy? 

...and...

How does The Creator become created without a transference of energy?

....and....

Where and how did the energy that was transferred to the Creator, and thusly, to the Universe come into existence?

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

At what point, and by what action, was the Creator brought into existence?  

By biblical reasoning, it would be the 4th day. He is the sun of righteousness http://biblehub.com/malachi/4-2.htm.

How does The Universe become created without a transference of energy? 

Beats me.

I've never said biblical reasoning was sane.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

By biblical reasoning, it would be the 4th day. He is the sun of righteousness http://biblehub.com/malachi/4-2.htm.

Beats me.

I've never said biblical reasoning was sane.

That makes zero sense.

How does the 'sun of righteousness' come into being on the 4th day?   

More importantly....it just proves that those who 'believe' can connect any dots they wish to magically bring 'understanding' to that which is only understandable as fiction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joc said:

That makes zero sense.

How does the 'sun of righteousness' come into being on the 4th day?   

More importantly....it just proves that those who 'believe' can connect any dots they wish to magically bring 'understanding' to that which is only understandable as fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_believe

160642152-bdb0f59f-81cb-4ca3-a928-4cc1ee

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joc said:

Pretty much!

It's even worse when you realize the truth, the make beliefs are rooted from very unhealthy/malignant narcissism.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked