Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
bigjim36

Why do people believe the bible?

737 posts in this topic

joc
31 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

John 8:12

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."

Malachi 4:2

"But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Is that somehow suppose to invalidate the fact that the creation story is unbelievable?

MysticWolf
Just now, joc said:

Is that somehow suppose to invalidate the fact that the creation story is unbelievable?

Creation before the creator....

I'm validating that is unbelievable.

• Like 1

joc
9 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

Creation before the creator....

I'm validating that is unbelievable.

Okay.  But....that does beg the question:

At what point, and by what action, was the Creator brought into existence?   

And it also begs other questions:

How does The Universe become created without a transference of energy? 

...and...

How does The Creator become created without a transference of energy?

....and....

Where and how did the energy that was transferred to the Creator, and thusly, to the Universe come into existence?

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

MysticWolf
1 minute ago, joc said:

By biblical reasoning, it would be the 4th day. He is the sun of righteousness http://biblehub.com/malachi/4-2.htm.

Beats me.

I've never said biblical reasoning was sane.

• Like 2

joc
3 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

By biblical reasoning, it would be the 4th day. He is the sun of righteousness http://biblehub.com/malachi/4-2.htm.

Beats me.

I've never said biblical reasoning was sane.

That makes zero sense.

How does the 'sun of righteousness' come into being on the 4th day?   

More importantly....it just proves that those who 'believe' can connect any dots they wish to magically bring 'understanding' to that which is only understandable as fiction.

• Like 2

MysticWolf
3 minutes ago, joc said:

That makes zero sense.

How does the 'sun of righteousness' come into being on the 4th day?   

More importantly....it just proves that those who 'believe' can connect any dots they wish to magically bring 'understanding' to that which is only understandable as fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_believe

160642152-bdb0f59f-81cb-4ca3-a928-4cc1ee

• Like 2

joc
7 minutes ago, Mystic Crusader said:

Pretty much!

• Like 2

MysticWolf
5 minutes ago, joc said:

Pretty much!

It's even worse when you realize the truth, the make beliefs are rooted from very unhealthy/malignant narcissism.

• Like 1

m1ssKarma

I personally think people believe the Bible because they can't remember a time there wasn't one. As no humans (obviously) are alive today that lived before it was written, and no other book has that version of events in it, they are just relying on one book to tell them what happened from 6-7000 odd years ago, and that's just the events IN the book, there's no explanation of:

Fossils, dinosaurs, the 10,000 year old forests and peoples footprints in sand off the UK coast that have been found at low tide, cave paintings, (i've heard a lot of humorous explanations for that stuff, trust me I used to be Christian)

It's the only book with 'that' deity in it, the one that either threatens Hellfire, or promises Paradise (in heaven or earth, depending on the version you read.) This is fear-mongering, because everyone's life is in the balance. They want to know what will happen when they die, this book 'claims' to tell you. It's their comfort blanket.

Even for those people who believe it is inspired of some 'god', that seems to make it an authority, apart from the argument that nature proves the existence of a god, because humans can't do it, it's naive to me.

Just because human beings cannot create a human without giving birth to a child and watching it grow up, (which I won't knock, is a flippin miracle in itself), or create rocks and grass and animals, does not mean 'that' deity they call Lord in the Bible did it. I'm no atheist, I actually do believe in the existence of that deity, my interesting experiences since leaving Christianity have proved that. (maybe it's just the entrails of an old faith i was brought up on that has influenced that, but a lot of *** happened since I packed that racket in)

What if another magical being created everything, with or without that deity involved, and he doesn't want people to believe in magic - that much is clear from the book.

That would throw the Adam and Eve timeline to the ocean, and leave us with nature fighting it out as nature does, evolving on its own. (I won't start arguing with Darwin, guys, but some of the evolution stuff doesn't quite mesh with me, that's another issue altogether)

Why do you think the book says he destroys everything anytime it doesn't go his way? Not much free will there, and lots of mistakes, I'd say. Kylo Ren anyone??

I think i listened to some unauthodox versions of it as a kid, the creative days were explained as eons of time, natural time, not literal days, but bring up cave paintings and the like, proof of humans before Adam and Eve, and they get skittish. I think there's some secrets they've been kept from.. reminds me of that line in Eden 'are you sure...'?? Whether Eden happened as it did, or not, there's definitely some kinda cover up. Only lies would cause THAT much itchy argumentative controversy among people 'claiming' to believe in the same deity, and I don't even think it's peoples fault.

People who believe the Bible are looking for closure.

• Like 1

m1ssKarma
On 2/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, joc said:

And it also begs other questions:

...and...

How does The Creator become created without a transference of energy?

....and....

Where and how did the energy that was transferred to the Creator, and thusly, to the Universe come into existence?

I have had a few theories knocking about.

If electricity is a kind of energy, it was always there, as atoms, it wasn't until someone worked out how to control them or get em to go in one direction that 'electricity' was 'invented'.

so as to the first question, if there's no 'explanation' of how the Creator was brought into existence, maybe the energy that created everything was always there, someone just needed to direct it.

question raises: WHO

This is the confusing theory of eternity. How did atoms, air, fire etc start? If fire is created by heat, which is aggravated atoms, who made the atoms?

My theory is there's a power that has always existed, like time. How did 'time start'?? Something always is expected to precede and follow everything else. When a ring is forged in a circle, where is the start of it? do you just pick a spot and call it the start?

i believe there was a transference of energy, i believe the deity in the 'bible' did start from some source, and i believe humans have a right to get answers to this, or why else create them with free will and intelligence, telling them space is out there, with no other explanation of how it really all began?

So, if the creator and then the universe was created with transfer of energy, the transfer must have come from a higher power or a source of time and place, which is the basis for all existence. Everything is there because of a time and place.

Why this baffles people is probably along the lines of that theory that says we're only using so much % of our brains.

(hope this is a useful comment and does not offend) :)

• Like 1

joc
6 hours ago, m1ssKarma said:

I have had a few theories knocking about.

If electricity is a kind of energy, it was always there, as atoms, it wasn't until someone worked out how to control them or get em to go in one direction that 'electricity' was 'invented'.

so as to the first question, if there's no 'explanation' of how the Creator was brought into existence, maybe the energy that created everything was always there, someone just needed to direct it.

question raises: WHO

This is the confusing theory of eternity. How did atoms, air, fire etc start? If fire is created by heat, which is aggravated atoms, who made the atoms?

My theory is there's a power that has always existed, like time. How did 'time start'?? Something always is expected to precede and follow everything else. When a ring is forged in a circle, where is the start of it? do you just pick a spot and call it the start?

i believe there was a transference of energy, i believe the deity in the 'bible' did start from some source, and i believe humans have a right to get answers to this, or why else create them with free will and intelligence, telling them space is out there, with no other explanation of how it really all began?

So, if the creator and then the universe was created with transfer of energy, the transfer must have come from a higher power or a source of time and place, which is the basis for all existence. Everything is there because of a time and place.

Why this baffles people is probably along the lines of that theory that says we're only using so much % of our brains.

(hope this is a useful comment and does not offend) :)

Your comment did not offend, however I don't really find much relevance in your post. 

The circle of the ring has no beginning point...but the ring does. There hasn't always been matter. If you can destroy a thing...you should be able to create that thing as well. And we have both destroyed and created atoms.

Time is not really a thing...but a measurement of things. No one was needed to create the Universe it created itself.

Sparks a question though...where does all of the energy go that is sucked into a black hole? 

• Like 1

Scudbuster

I have to say I agree with this Bill Maher observation:

Bible - %22I Agree%22 button.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2