Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
bigjim36

Why do people believe the bible?

1,738 posts in this topic

Sherapy
53 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Ah the sweet and kind tones of my beloved Sherapy 

Thousands of people. 8 years of doorknocking.  People on the dole, to people earning several times what a teacher earned.  

As opposed to ? What?   Just  what experience do YOU have in factually gathering data about the relative generosity of rich and poor?  

Oh yes, you could google world wide figures which would support  my pov but gee if i did that it would be a crime  :) 

If you thought being a millionaire with plenty of cash to spare made a person more generous, think again.

New research has found it’s actually people from “lower status” backgrounds who are more likely to share their wealth, while the rich are significantly more stingy. 

Researchers from the Queen Mary University of London came to the conclusion after setting up a social experiment where participants played games for real money. Each person in the study, published in the Journal Basic and Applied Social Psychology, was assigned to either a lower or higher status, which was determined how much money they were given at the start of the game.

During the games, participants were asked to decide how much money they wanted to keep for themselves and how much they wanted to donate to a group kitty that would later be split between all participants. Researchers quickly discovered those from poorer backgrounds would contribute more to the kitty.

Each participant either used money they had earned, while some money was given to them by chance as part of the experiment. Researchers discovered those from richer background were less likely to give away the money they’d earned themselves, while poorer people didn’t mind whether they gave away money they earned or that they’d been given.

https://startsat60.com/discover/lifestyle/relationships/poor-people-more-likely-to-give-more-to-charity-than-rich-people

It’s ironic, really. You’d think that millionaires and billionaires would be some of the most generous people on the planet. After all, they could literally withdraw all their money from the bank and use it to insulate the walls of their palatial mansions. They could heat their houses by lighting bales of bills on fire.

But the crazy thing is that compared to the rest of the population, the super wealthy give away a smaller proportion of their income. In Britain, the uber rich can secure a spot in the top 100 givers spot by donating a miniscule 1.08% of their income.

Transporting these numbers into the U.S., it would mean that average American could have those bragging rights by giving about $400 to charity. That’s hilarious in a heart-breaking sort of way.

The Atlantic puts it this way:

One of the most surprising, and perhaps confounding, facts of charity in America is that the people who can least afford to give are the ones who donate the greatest percentage of their income. In 2011, the wealthiest Americans—those with earnings in the top 20 percent—contributed on average 1.3 percent of their income to charity. By comparison, Americans at the base of the income pyramid—those in the bottom 20 percent—donated 3.2 percent of their income. The relative generosity of lower-income Americans is accentuated by the fact that, unlike middle-class and wealthy donors, most of them cannot take advantage of the charitable tax deduction, because they do not itemize deductions on their income-tax returns.

https://businessconnectworld.com/2017/07/17/why-dont-rich-give-more/

This old woman is not an anomaly. It turns out that people who have less give more. In one paper, social psychologists compared low and high social class individuals, defining social class with the person’s own estimate of their socioeconomic rank based on education, income, and occupation status relative to others in their community. In their studies, low social class participants were more generous and believed they should give more of their annual income to charity (4.95 percent vs. 2.95 percent). They were also more likely to trust strangers and showed more helping behaviortowards someone in distress. Contrarily, other research has found that higher social class individuals are more unethical. They are more likely to take things from others, lie, and cheat.

Why do those who have less give more? Part of the reason lies in the fact that they are more compassionate and more sensitive to the need of others. Psychologists refer to their way of thinking as a “contextualist tendency” marked by an external focus on what is going on in their environment and with other people. On the other hand, those who have more tend to be self-centered with “solipsistic tendencies” that are concentrated on their own internal states, goals, motivations, and emotions.

They also vary in their time orientations. Those who have less are focused on the present whereas those who have more are future-oriented to a greater extent. Like the old woman, the poor may choose to behave on their generous impulses in the here and now, instead of thinking much about the future repercussions of their giving inclinations.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/the-science-behind-behavior/201711/why-people-who-have-less-give-more

There; happy now?  Seems world wide studies not only confirm what i experienced but explain the psychological reasons for it. 

Geez, did you read the study Mr. race to google to search for anything to support your opinion. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01973533.2018.1463225?scroll=top&needAccess=true&journalCode=hbas20

You made the claim originally, based on a deficient sample size.

I am asking that you demonstrate you understand this. That is all.

Edited by Sherapy

Habitat

The "team" are in poor form, in the last day or so, I'm sure they haven't been lobotomized, and it only seems like it.

third_eye
Just now, Mr Walker said:

No it is not.

My "tall tales" are all true, as it happens,  but anyway,  it is illogical to base a judgement of one narrative, on your beliefs about another. 

If i should lie about flying naked to the moon, it doesn't  mean i am also lieing  about owning a dog, nor even that i am anymore LIKELY to lie about that ownership.  .  

Meh ... untruth, unverifiable claims, observable intention for deceit and with all intentions and purposes to perpetuate deceptions ... it is all categorized as lies, you just dress it all up however you like, until you can provide evidence that proves otherwise, that remains as the entirety of your foundation for your specifics as facts

I see it clearly as lies, no further elucidations required, if you claim to not understand that, then it further proves your propensity for lying, either about your proficiency in understanding the language being applied or the principles as to what applies as veracity

~

• Like 1

docyabut2

Hey all just the other day my 96 year old mom  in a nursing home, just told a women that was screaming and carried on so long  to trust god with in that women said thanks for helping me and then died

the love of Jesus is the answer

• Like 1

Mr Walker
2 hours ago, danydandan said:

In your opinion. 

"it was amazing that t i got more money from poor people than rich." is NOT comparing what i got, to what others collected.  I wouldn't have clue what they collected.  It was confidential

i was saying that i was amazed, as  a mid twenties person from a quite poor family background,  to discover that poorer people were more generous than richer people

Hammerclaw
1 hour ago, Habitat said:

My apologies for mistaking you for a groundhog, rather than a rabbit, but it is dark looking down there in those burrows.

Oh, how sweet! Did Nanna rap that from heaven to you?

• Haha 3

Sherapy
14 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol And yet it is proven correct by studies all around the world.  You are trying to choose what to accept, based on prejudicial belief. :) 

And again, what personal evidences, or experiences with the charity of rich and poor people, do you have, which dispute this ? 

Correction you are choosing to accept what to beleive based on your prejudicial beleif. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

And that is the difference between you and I.

Did i say this was a  "poor " community?  Most earned twice the wage i earned  But there were also a few poorer people like we teachers :) i said i never got to canvas the really wealthy end of town but wages in whyalla were very high in the 70s. 

Why should the poor not be given the opportunity to give, but only the wealthy.

Giving is a grace, and people get a lot from giving.

I suspect you are a reluctant giver if this is truly your attitude.  

I think it is inappropriate to ask about people’s finances, giving and spending habits on a public forum. 

It is off topic and none of your business.

Habitat
4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Meh ... untruth, unverifiable claims, observable intention for deceit and with all intentions and purposes to perpetuate deceptions ... it is all categorized as lies, you just dress it all up however you like, until you can provide evidence that proves otherwise, that remains as the entirety of your foundation for your specifics as facts

I see it clearly as lies, no further elucidations required, if you claim to not understand that, then it further proves your propensity for lying, either about your proficiency in understanding the language being applied or the principles as to what applies as veracity

~

Dear oh dear, you know what Elvis said, we can't go on with suspicious minds !

third_eye
Just now, Habitat said:

Dear oh dear, you know what Elvis said, we can't go on with suspicious minds !

Oh dear, Elvis dies sitting on his 'throne'

Has your woo turned the doo to loo ?

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mr Walker
3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

Your opinion and you are quite wrong,  but it only affects you.

Why would I want to deceive anyone?.

i dont get that 

It is not in my personality and i was brought up to see lieing and deceit as a destructive and harmful thing .

I suspect that only deceitful people suspect others of deceit I know i almost never mistrust another human  being, and have almost never been let down by one  because i trusted them.     

Habitat
1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Oh dear, Elvis dies sitting on his 'throne'

Has your woo turned the doo to loo ?

~

Still running a gallant second ! Congratulations !

docyabut2

love is the answer, not just  from the rich :(

Edited by docyabut2

Will Due

For a moment they sat down by the treasury, watching the people drop in their contributions: the rich putting much in the receiving box and all giving something in accordance with the extent of their possessions. At last there came along a poor widow, scantily attired, and they observed as she cast two mites (small coppers) into the trumpet. And then said Jesus, calling the attention of the apostles to the widow: "Heed well what you have just seen. This poor widow cast in more than all the others, for all these others, from their superfluity, cast in some trifle as a gift, but this poor woman, even though she is in want, gave all that she had, even her living."

Mr Walker
2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Correction you are choosing to accept what to beleive based on your prejudicial beleif. 

I think it is inappropriate to ask about people’s finances, giving and spending habits on a public forum. 

Nah!  i prove my points (are at the very least arguable, and usually demonstrably right)  using those pesky sources and quotes you hate so much

lol rmao  YOU think its cheeky, ME asking how you know about the giving habits of people?   You, who  are always on about how i can know anything i claim to know. (and i always tell you )

third_eye

Your opinion and you are quite wrong,  but it only affects you.

Nope, you are wrong to think whatever you wish to spin it as anything other than lies, it affects the discussion on a forum. that much is true

~

Why would I want to deceive anyone?.

i dont get that 

Another prime example of lies, either of your multitudinous lies or your insistence of innocence here

~

It is not in my personality and i was brought up to see lieing and deceit as a destructive and harmful thing .

I suspect that only deceitful people suspect others of deceit I know i almost never mistrust another human  being, and have almost never been let down by one  because i trusted them.     

Unpersuasive and contains nothing that proves anything to the contrary

~

Just now, Habitat said:

Still running a gallant second ! Congratulations !

Who is running ? You playing fetch with your own tail now ....

~

• Haha 1

Habitat
1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Who is running ? You playing fetch with your own tail now ....

You pulled up lame, too bad, so sad.

Sherapy
2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Nah!  i prove my points (are at the very least arguable, and usually demonstrably right)  using those pesky sources and quotes you hate so much

lol rmao  YOU think its cheeky, ME asking how you know about the giving habits of people?   You, who  are always on about how i can know anything i claim to know. (and i always tell you )

I am not making any claims about people’s giving habits, I am asking you to support yours and for the millionth time you have not. 

I am moving on....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sherapy
7 minutes ago, Will Due said:

For a moment they sat down by the treasury, watching the people drop in their contributions: the rich putting much in the receiving box and all giving something in accordance with the extent of their possessions. At last there came along a poor widow, scantily attired, and they observed as she cast two mites (small coppers) into the trumpet. And then said Jesus, calling the attention of the apostles to the widow: "Heed well what you have just seen. This poor widow cast in more than all the others, for all these others, from their superfluity, cast in some trifle as a gift, but this poor woman, even though she is in want, gave all that she had, even her living."

Will, please cite your sources, otherwise it is plagiarism.

Habitat
14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

OK, but, but...….

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I am not making any claims about people’s giving habits, I am asking you to support yours and for the millionth time you have not. 

Hello ? Hello ? Operator ??????

• Like 1

Mr Walker
5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I am moving on....

Didn't you read the 3 separate sources i provided ? 

What evidences or experiences do you have to support rejecting mine.

Edited by Mr Walker

docyabut2
2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

get over it if it wasn't for the rich of how we can all survive.:)

Sherapy
2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

get over it if it wasn't for the rich of how we can all survive.:)

Huh?

• Thanks 1

Will Due
11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Source

Edited by Will Due

Habitat

Someone's putting something in the water, I swear !

Sherapy
10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Someone's putting something in the water, I swear !

I think Vodka in your case. Lol

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1