Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
bigjim36

Why do people believe the bible?

1,738 posts in this topic

Mr Walker
13 hours ago, danydandan said:

That's true, more the fool us who respond in personal attacks. 

I'm at odds whether calling him ostentatious is a personal attack, considering he thinks being modest is abhorrent.

lol I try to be open and honest.

I see both modesty and ostentatious as false personas which, in a way, presents a lie to others about yourself.

However ostentatious is a more subjective, and thus less objectionable,  label than some, like narcissist :) 

In my life i am probably the opposite of ostentatious.  i wear very plain clothes,  no jewelry, ordinary hair cut, and present, as a mild mannered reporter for the daily planet  might do :)

I own two pairs of trousers,  two pairs of shoes,  (all purchased second hand from charity shops) and just enough shirts socks and jocks to last through a washing cycle of 7-8 days . :)  The shirts are all second hand, but i do buy new socks and jocks :( My last pairs of trousers lasted me 13 years.  

Edited by Mr Walker

Mr Walker
10 hours ago, eight bits said:

Not yet, but we have one active poster who believes another book that "complements" the Bible.

Actually, I haven't read that book etiher, but from your description of it, Paul was saying that almost 2000 years ago.

We are apes. Size matters.

Nup; we are hairless apes. Thus performance ( and psychology)  matters more. Perception is all.  :) 

Habitat

Obviously Mr Walker, there is a psychological need to believe in the "devil", if they can't can't stomach the biblical version,it is necessary to find something closer to hand, to project all that nastiness on to ! Thanks for taking the load, I think it is your mild-mannered approach that emboldens them, to go on the attack, more than anything else.

• Like 1

Sherapy
5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Neither is true The responses come as they do because i am different to some people. (there are also posters here who both publicly and privately support me)

I tell the truth as i understand it it and i can support claims of truth (as opposed to opinion) via sources.

i was raised to question everything and not to base  a view on emotion, opinion, or custom, but upon knowledge.

I am not responsible for another's response, nor  should i alter my own style (or content)  to make them feel more comfortable  BUT i don't play games with people. i don't try and work their emotions i use facts and knowledge to support my point is.

Indeed, I despise manipulative sociopathic types, who enjoy baiting, trolling, and  manipulating others. They are evil, and can do a lot of harm to those with low self esteem or lack of certainty of self.   

"Indeed, I despise manipulative sociopathic types, who enjoy baiting, trolling, and  manipulating others. They are evil, and can do a lot of harm to those with low self esteem or lack of certainty of self" ( Walker).

So because you despise this type of personality are you saying you could never manipulate, troll, or bait posters? 

Mr Walker
8 hours ago, 029b10 said:

While I am not questioning your faith, so hopefully it won't be perceived as such; yet I have found the passage in Hebrews 11:6 regarding those who come to God to be an interesting subject since it represents by implication that a person who comes to God would not know whether God actually existed or not, but unless one believed in the possibility of his existence then they would never be able to come to the knowledge of him. 

If he who comes to God must believe he is, then obviously they wouldn't know him, or have any knowledge of him since it is written that they must believe he is.  Since hope is believing something is true without any evidence of it's truth, then could explain what you meant exactly by your response that you came to God by recognition?

( I consider recognition to be the identification of someone or something or person from previous encounters or knowledge so maybe you have a better definition or define it a little different that the one I am using.)

There are people who cannot believe on/in faith.

Fortunately, sometimes god goes to them, so that they do not miss out on a relationship with  "him" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr Walker
6 hours ago, Will Due said:

I don't have to explain it to others. 

Others have to explain it to themselves (when the universe speaks to them within) why they either ignore, or recognize what they're experiencing.

ETA: For the record, when the universe speaks to me, I regularly ignore what I'm experiencing. To my detriment.

Oh boy can i relate to that; although, being older and wiser than you Will, :) i almost always listen and obey, these days. 

• Like 1

Sherapy
9 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol I try to be open and honest.

I see both modesty and ostentatious as false personas which, in a way, presents a lie to others about yourself.

However ostentatious is a more subjective, and thus less objectionable,  label than some.

In my life i am probably the opposite of ostentatious.  i wear very plain clothes,  no jewelry, ordinary hair cut, and present as a mild mannered reporter for the daily planet  might do :)

I own two pairs of trousers,  two pairs of shoes,  (all purchased second hand from charity shops) and just enough shirts socks and jocks to last through a washing cycle of 7-8 days . :)  The shirts are all second hand, but i do buy new socks and jocks :( My last pairs of trousers lasted me 13 years.  

Interesting, you bring in  how you dress as the point to defend, a point not even mentioned. 

We all get you are lower income and buy your clothes from Goodwill and no one cares or would begrudge you stretching a dollar. 

IMHO! Dan is not referencing this, he is talking about all the bragging you do about yourself. I for one am fine with bragging if there is something to brag about. I don't see it in your case, but I am one of many opinions, while entitled to it it is about as significant as defending explaining a point not even mentioned, especially for a person who brags he is beyond such human silliness. Lol 

Mr Walker
12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Obviously Mr Walker, there is a psychological need to believe in the "devil", if they can't can't stomach the biblical version,it is necessary to find something closer to hand, to project all that nastiness on to ! Thanks for taking the load, I think it is your mild-mannered approach that emboldens them, to go on the attack, more than anything else.

Maybe.

I think i just frustrate them.

i wont go away. I wont shut up, and i wont be swayed by bullying or  harassment. 

While some are debatable, all my factual  points are arguable, using scientific sources,  and all my personal anecdotes are true  

Look; I can understand a certain legitimacy with people who disbelieve some things are possible; first because the y have never experienced them and second because, in today's materialist culture spiritual matters are uncool. 

But if the y keep their minds closed, they will go to their graves knowing nothing more than the y do now. 

Mr Walker
6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Interesting, you bring in  how you dress as the point to defend, a point not even mentioned. 

We all get you are lower income and buy your clothes from Goodwill and no one cares or would begrudge you stretching a dollar. 

IMHO! Dan is not referencing this, he is talking about all the bragging you do about yourself. I for one am fine with bragging if there is something to brag about. I don't see it in your case, but I am one of many opinions, while entitled to it it is about as significant as defending explaining a point not even mentioned, especially for a person who brags he is beyond such human silliness. Lol 

I was called ostentatious. How you dress and appear is directly related to being ostentatious  Hence my comment. 

I am not ostentatious in ANY way. I don't overdress and i don't over talk myself.  I am what I am. ( coz i eats me spinach. toot! toot!)    YOurs is  also a subjective opinion, based on how you  think it is normal  for  a person to present themselves and talk about themsleves.   I dont brag (ie exaggerate anything about myself) i am just totally open and honest about my life, from within my own subjective world view.  

I dont consider you bragging when you explain how well you raised your boys and what good people the y turned out to be.

I believe this is true and you are right to tell the world about it.I t goes to one of your strengths of character and a mjor prt of who you are 

Same thing when you talk about your loving relationship with your husband. That is not bragging its a simple truth of which you should be proud.

Same thing when you talk about your ongoing education and betterment with learning and employment.

YUP you should  be happy to tell the world.

It is justified   

Edited by Mr Walker

Sherapy
8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I was called ostentatious. How you dress and appear is directly related to being ostentatious  Hence my comment. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Think about it Einstein, ostentatious includes achievements and abilities, a boaster, a braggart type. 

This is the only thing he would mean. How you dress doesn't apply. 

Edited by Sherapy

Habitat
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Think about it Einstein, ostentatious  includes achievements and abilities, one who brags incessantly about these things where is your defense for this? 

look, if you really can't stand him, just give him "life without parole", aka, ignore him !

Mr Walker
2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Think about it Einstein, ostentatious includes achievements and abilities, a boaster, a braggart type. 

This is the only thing he would mean. How you dress doesn't apply. 

I disagree  One part of character is connected to all others  

I talk about myself, as i dress.

Simply, truthfully, without making stuff up or leaving stuff out; without being modest or bragging,  without much thought, or care or worry, about other's reactions   I don't dress to impress and i dont write to impress. What you see is just me.

I have no need to impress anyone else. I am impressed enough with myself :) 

Sherapy
Just now, Habitat said:

look, if you really can't stand him, just give him "life without parole", aka, ignore him !

This is your conclusion, not mine. 

I am satirically asking a question. Lol 

Not everyone will appreciate my humour. 

Mr Walker
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is your conclusion, not mine. 

Not everyone will appreciate my humour. 

And i don't mind those sort of questions, I can appreciate them and do my best to answer them.  But i don't see myself bragging, by any definition of the word  I've never made up or exaggerated any story about myself  Never had to.

Of course all definitions of bragging include subjective words like excessive. pompous or arrogant 

bragging

Dictionary result for bragging

/ˈbraɡɪŋ/

noun

excessively proud and boastful talk about one's achievements or possessions.

"she interrupted their endless bragging"

adjective

exhibiting or characterized by excessive pride or boastfulness.

"a competitive, bragging culture"

It is all about tone 

Eg  "I was the fastest runner on the team"  is simply a statement.

it only becomes a boast if there is an element of cockiness or self gratification in the tone and really only if the speaker means it with tha t tone.

It cannot be established via the listeners perception.

Even if they THINK it sounds boastful, it is not, unless the speaker intended it to be.  

Edited by Mr Walker

Habitat

Hmmmm…….that doesn't mean you are baiting him, does it ? Anyways, I am indebted to you for accurately describing third eye's work as "incoherent and absurd " 

Sherapy
Just now, Mr Walker said:

I disagree  One part of character is connected to all others  

I talk about myself, as i dress.

Simply, truthfully, without making stuff up or leaving stuff out; without being modest or bragging,  without much thought, or care or worry, about other's reactions   I don't dress to impress and i dont write to impress. What you see is just me.

I have no ne I have no need to impress anyone else. I am impressed enough with myself :) 

" I have no need to impress anyone else. I am impressed enough with myself :)" ( Walker).

Exactly, this is his point. Hence the reason he used ostentatious to describe you. Lol  

And, I would go further to add you seek to share as much as possible, how impressive you think you are. 

It is not true that you don't care what others think because you spend a lot of time defending, explaining, aka known as denying you care, when you do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

third_eye

20 hours ago, Habitat said:

You have been called to account for your accusation, and have failed to deliver. Duck, dodge, weave, dance, you got the moves ! Anything but the straight talk ! And these are the types of people always crying for the "proof" !  Stand and deliver !

19 hours ago, Habitat said:

Had enough of slandering people for one day, have you ? Another low-slung specimen on the "team" goes to water !

:lol:

It is not slander when you so shamelessly pander to the lowest available denominator ... consider all things as stood and delivered

~

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

I will make a joint consultation for her and me. :) 

If you were professionally 'Trained and Educated' in the field you must know that that is not how 'Consultations' are made ... further evidence of your false claims

~

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

Nothing wrong with the language, other than me leaving out a few commas.  :) 

i don't have your obsession with dotting the I s and crossing the Ts in every sentence in a post.   

Nothing wrong ? Missing commas? Is that all your years of extensive experience in Teaching comes down to ?

Compare :

20 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

lol so what you don't believe you call a lie, and what you have no evidences for you also call a lie. 

Ok prove to me you are Malaysian, otherwise i will be forced to  believe that you are lieing about that. and thus are lieing about everything you post .

Why should i believe a word you post . (not that you post much about yourself at all )

Oh i know. You are actually sherapy posting under a different name and style, and writing incoherent  English so we don't guess the truth.  :) 

Come on; prove you are not, otherwise you must be.  

... and ...

~

The present participle of lie is not lieing. The I becomes a Y: lying. Here is a mnemonic from the website Primility to help you tell laying and lying apart: “If you tell an untruth it is a lie, not a lay; and if you are in the process of telling an untruth you are lying and not laying.”

Lay vs. Lie - Grammarly

~
lieing. Verb. Common misspelling of lying.

~

lieing: Common misspelling of lying. ... Support. Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word lieing here.

~

The common denominator of your obsession with your lies here provided further evidence to prove your intrinsic nature to lie ... an obsession that is second only to your possessed nature to further perpetuate more lies.

Perhaps you can { Help support Wordnik by dopting the word lieing here. }

~

:lol:

Habitat

" I have no need to impress anyone else. I am impressed enough with myself :)"

Classic !

Sherapy
3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

And i don't mind those sort of questions, I can appreciate them and do my best to answer them.  But i don't see myself bragging, by any definition of the word  I've never made up or exaggerated any story about myself  Never had to. 

You are a braggadaccio, and will carry on as a braggadaccio.

And you do exaggerate that is stretch a story to the limits of believability, possibly for effect.

I think you use hyperbole for effect too. 

I am not calling you a liar though for the record. 

In some parts of the forum the literary devices you use to draw a crowd would be seen as a good thing, such as, the writers hang out. 

In the S vrs. S section not so much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Walker
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

" I have no need to impress anyone else. I am impressed enough with myself :)" ( Walker).

Exactly, this is his point. Hence the reason he used ostentatious to describe you. Lol  

And, I would go further to add you seek to share as much as possible, how impressive you think you are. 

It is not true that you don't care what others think because you spend a lot of time defending, explaining, aka known as denying you care, when you do. 

That was humour Sher, but also truth.  I don't have any NEED to impress anyone else.

I am an egotistical narcissist totally self absorbed and self gratified and vindicated :) Thus, what others think, is irrelevant (More humour in case you missed it ) 

I share.

How impressive i am (or unimpressive)  will always be in the mind of the reader.

However, the number of people who say the y do not BELIEVE my stories about my life  are true, makes me think the y WOULD find them embarrassingly impressive if true, and thus choose to simply deny them  :) 

Mr Walker
10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You are a braggadaccio, and will carry on as a braggadaccio.

And you do exaggerate that is stretch a story to the limits of believability, possibly for effect.

I think you use hyperbole for effect too. 

In some parts of the forum the literary devices you use to draw a crowd would be seen as a good thing, such as, the writers hang out. 

In the S vrs. S section not so much. 

The first statement is your subjective opinion.

The second statement is factually incorrect 

I haven't exaggerated anything in my life. The problem lies with your abilty to accept that other people live different lives. heck there are a lot of stories as yet untold ( eg I haven't yet mentioned my time selling pottery made by Carmelite nuns from their nunnery in Adelaide) 

Going out with a girl can bring you a whole lot of new life experiences, but i never expected to become a  pottery salesman in a nunnery, nor a bookmakers assistant, as result  of dating catholic girls  :)

Edited by Mr Walker

Habitat
12 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Another classic !

Sherapy
2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

That was humour Sher, but also truth.  I don't have any NEED to impress anyone else.

I am an egotistical narcissist totally self absorbed and self gratified and vindicated :) Thus, what others think, is irrelevant (More humour in case you missed it ) 

I share.

How impressive i am (or unimpressive)  will always be in the mind of the reader.

However, the number of people who say the y do not BELIEVE my stories about my life  are true, makes me think the y WOULD find them embarrassingly impressive if true, and thus choose to simply deny them  :) 

You care very much what posters think. If you don’t it sure isn’t apparent. 

I genuinely think you are not sure why you generate a lot of conflict.

I think it is hard to hear and a dissonance that in Whyalla you are a beloved person by all that know you and yet you struggle online. 

• Like 1

Habitat
19 minutes ago, third_eye said:

It is not slander when you so shamelessly pander to the lowest available denominator ... consider all things as stood and delivered

See if you can work "obfuscation" into your next word jumble, it is quite your forte !

third_eye
Just now, Habitat said:

See if you can work "obfuscation" into your next word jumble, it is quite your forte !

You givin' out prizes again ?

~

• Like 1