Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
bigjim36

Why do people believe the bible?

1,738 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hammerclaw

Reminds me of two moths, circling the same flame, each absolutely certain the other is following them. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Reminds me of two moths, circling the same flame, each absolutely certain the other is following them. 

Absolutely mesmerizing and in some way ... cripplingly sinister

:lol:

~

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Absolutely mesmerizing and in some way ... cripplingly sinister

:lol:

~

It's a verbal Rorschach Test. Not all will see the same two.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
20 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You care very much what posters think. If you don’t it sure isn’t apparent. 

I genuinely think you are not sure why you generate a lot of conflict.

I think it is hard to hear and a dissonance that in Whyalla you are a beloved person by all that know you and yet you struggle online. 

 

 

You dont actually READ my posts do you . I taught in whyalla from 1974 to 1982 at a school of 1200 students  from  over a 100 different countries  

After that i taught in a smaller school  (about 300 students) and community for another  33 years and then retired to a third small country town  Both these country communities are about 45 minutes drive from  the small regional city where i was born educated and raised 

I dont struggle online lol There are just a lot of weird people here with weird and yet very limited world views   :) 

Also this is A PLACE for debate  and even argument.

I know why i "create" conflict.

i argue for  unpopular or alternative  ideas and (some)  people don't like them.

Some don't like being challenged.

Others  don't want to hear different; views beliefs values and priorities.

They don't want to think hard  or be challenged in their comfortable lives.

if there were no differences of opinion there would be no conflict, but it also promotes learning, growth, understanding and development,  to debate  ideas and different values 

 Ps i am loved, honoured and respected.

 

That doesn't mean by all, although most  at least like me and repect my character .  But enough; love, honour, and respect me, for me to   know i am on the right track. 

   

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

You givin' out prizes again ?

~

Go and read a Batman comic with the "riddler" in it, for further inspiration !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

It's a verbal Rorschach Test. Not all will see the same two.

As ever, what will always remain is the same candle ...

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Habitat said:

Go and read a Batman comic with the "riddler" in it, for further inspiration !

I don't have to, you remind me enough of the Penguin for all the inspiration I need.

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, third_eye said:

As ever, what will always remain is the same candle ...

~

Ah, but do they see the same candle.....?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Ah, but do they see the same candle.....?

is there really a candle, or is the light from their own inner glow ? :)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Ah, but do they see the same candle.....?

Clearly ?

It has been suggested that the candle is what makes the flame eternal, moths on the other hand, comes and goes.

Sadly for the moths, the Sun will always be too far away to find out ...

~

:yes:

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
Just now, Mr Walker said:

is there really a candle, or is the light from their own inner glow ? :)   

Sometimes it's like watching a deaf mute blindfolded and a blind man with ears muffled, sparring in the ring.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I don't have to, you remind me enough of the Penguin for all the inspiration I need.

~

Still running second all the time ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
22 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

The first statement is your subjective opinion.

The second statement is factually incorrect 

I haven't exaggerated anything in my life. The problem lies with your abilty to accept that other people live different lives. heck there are a lot of stories as yet untold ( eg I haven't yet mentioned my time selling pottery made by Carmelite nuns from their nunnery in Adelaide) 

Going out with a girl can bring you a whole lot of new life experiences, but i never expected to become a  pottery salesman in a nunnery, nor a bookmakers assistant, as result  of dating catholic girls  :)

 

Why would I have an issue accepting others lead different lives than me? 

I have read the majority of your posts and you do brag and find humility to be a flaw. 

You brag, own it! Lol 

When could you have done all this if you were a teacher, counselor, tutor, and foster parent for 60 years, not saying you didn’t just wondering when?

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Habitat said:

Still running second all the time ! 

Chasing your own tail does not entail running. it is not really chasing either, but then that will always be a logic quite  ..-. .. . -. -.. .. ... .... .-.. -.--  lost on you.

~

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Chasing your own tail does not entail running. it is not really chasing either, but then that will always be a logic quite  ..-. .. . -. -.. .. ... .... .-.. -.--  lost on you.

~

"incoherent absurdity", by gawd, sherapy has got you pegged !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sometimes it's like watching a deaf mute blindfolded and a blind man with ears muffled, sparring in the ring.

Oh yeah I love that show,  especially when one bloke fills his sock with a cricket ball, instead of a tennis ball, or other rolled up socks . 

I think it's called "kerthunk" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Oh yeah I love that show,  especially when one bloke fills his sock with a cricket ball, instead of a tennis ball, or other rolled up socks . 

I think it's called "kerthunk" 

Not familiar to me. The point is to use the sense both have in common; the sense of smell to gauge the proximity of the opponent. The tactile senses to feel the rush of displaced air from missed blows and the vibration through the feet of the other's passage. The easy and apparent being denied them, the one best able to use what's left, wins.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

Maybe.

I think i just frustrate them.

i wont go away. I wont shut up, and i wont be swayed by bullying or  harassment. 

While some are debatable, all my factual  points are arguable, using scientific sources,  and all my personal anecdotes are true  

Look; I can understand a certain legitimacy with people who disbelieve some things are possible; first because the y have never experienced them and second because, in today's materialist culture spiritual matters are uncool. 

But if the y keep their minds closed, they will go to their graves knowing nothing more than the y do now. 

Being bullied or harassed is in your own mind with your self professed ability to transcend all negative thought or self defeating interpretation why not apply it, end of issue,

How narscissitic to think you have some thing so important to tell that by not  telling it would render lives meaningless, otherwise. If I didn’t know better I would say this is a Walkerian slip. 

In otherwords, we must listen to the great and powerful Walker or he will bully and harass us incessantly. Lol 

For the majority, you have nothing to teach. 

Get over it, end of issue this way too. 

You choose the posts you do and do not respond to. 

Edited by Sherapy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

"incoherent absurdity", by gawd, sherapy has got you pegged !

:lol:

Good for you, @Sherapy makes for a finer patron than most, you just hang on to her every word now you hear ?

Maybe one day you may succeed at making a proper Maiden Courtier of the Forum of yourself

~

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Why would I have an issue accepting others lead different lives than me? 

I have read the majority of your posts and you do brag and find humility to be a flaw. 

You brag, own it! Lol 

When could you have done all this if you were a teacher, counselor, tutor, and foster parent for 60 years, not saying you didn’t just wondering when?

 

 

Because you think I exaggerate stories from my life, when they are absolutely true, which means you have not had any similar sorts of experiences in your own life . .

Well, as a  student and a teacher, i always had 10 to 12 weeks off a year, plus long service leave accumulating at 15 days a year.  At uni i had  at least 3 months off a year.  i made the most of all my time learning and doing   And generally never had more than about 6 hours sleep a night  and often a lot less Eg last sun night i went to bed a t 3.30 and was up at 7,30  I never drank smoked; or played a lot of regular sport after  about the age of 25, so i had a lot of free time. Since 2005 to 2015 I worked only an average of 3 days a week  while taking a transition to retirement package and using a lot of my long service leave which had accumulated to over 350 days. I also had  (and used)  over 350 days of sick days available to me after my by pass

Because i entered teaching as a bonded scholarship student, aged 16, i was entitled to a lot of those benefits from  1966 onwards,  and some had accumulated before i even started teaching  

 As my dear ol dad always said,  "Government jobs don't pay the best,but they have great benefits" 

Every day was, and is, filled to the brink, and i never have time to get bored.  It was 11.30 when i got home from  games night on monday and i stayed up until about 1 00 reading and playing on my tablet  Life is too precious to waste.   

Humility is a flaw but so is bragging ie lieing or exaggerating about one's own achievements. They are both a form of lieing about who you are.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not familiar to me. The point is to use the sense both have in common; the sense of smell to gauge the proximity of the opponent. The tactile senses to feel the rush of displaced air from missed blows and the vibration through the feet of the other's passage. The easy and apparent being denied them, the one best able to use what's left, wins.

Its ok  I made that up.

Although i did see the concept  (and name of kerthunk)  on, "Would i lie to you " and the idea of an uncle who filled his sock with a hard object instead of a soft one  :) 

 As the celebrity  told the story i was rolling around on the floor  (The y gave each  contestant  socks, and acted it out,  as well) 

From memory no one  believed it was the truth so his team won that round  You had to yell out kerthunk or kerplunk as you were about to  swing your sock, which gave the others a chance to dodge, but all were blindfolded so it was largely chance 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
7 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Because you think I exaggerate stories from my life, when they are absolutely true, which means you have not had any similar sorts of experiences in your own life . .

Well, as a  student and a teacher, i always had 10 to 12 weeks off a year, plus long service leave accumulating at 15 days a year.  At uni i had  at least 3 months off a year.  i made the most of all my time learning and doing   And generally never had more than about 6 hours sleep a night  and often a lot less Eg last sun night i went to bed a t 3.30 and was up at 7,30  I never drank smoked; or played a lot of regular sport after  about the age of 25, so i had a lot of free time. Since 2005 to 2015 I worked only an average of 3 days a week  while taking a transition to retirement package and using a lot of my long service leave which had accumulated to over 350 days. I also had  (and used)  over 350 days of sick days available to me after my by pass

Because i entered teaching as a bonded scholarship student, aged 16, i was entitled to a lot of those benefits from  1966 onwards,  and some had accumulated before i even started teaching  

 As my dear ol dad always said,  "Government jobs don't pay the best,but they have great benefits" 

Every day was, and is, filled to the brink, and i never have time to get bored.  It was 11.30 when i got home from  games night on monday and i stayed up until about 1 00 reading and playing on my tablet  Life is too precious to waste.   

Humility is a flaw but so is bragging ie lieing or exaggerating about one's own achievements. They are both a form of lieing about who you are.   

My friend, you are humble to a fault and like all human beings, you have many. Contrary to what you might wish, it is those faults that lend to your charm--if you can call it that. In any event, it is what your audience finds most fascinating about you--they just can't get enough!

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
13 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Being bullied or harassed is in your own mind with your self professed ability to transcend all negative thought or self defeating interpretation why not apply it, end of issue,

How narscissitic to think you have some thing so important to tell that by not  telling it would render lives meaningless, otherwise. If I didn’t know better I would say this is a Walkerian slip. 

In otherwords, we must listen to the great and powerful Walker or he will bully and harass us incessantly. Lol 

For the majority, you have nothing to teach. 

Get over it, end of issue this way too. 

You choose the posts you do and do not respond to. 

No While i am NOT bullied or harassed, there is a clear intent by some to attempt this.

it is this attempt which is wrong, and against the rules, whether it is successful or not 

Bullying behaviour is bullying behaviour, whether it is successful or not. 

Not meaningless But yes i have a lot to teach of value.

  However it is up to others to listen or accept those teachings

You find this narcissistic ? It was my life's work  :) 

MAny humans live lives which are not as empowered.as fulfilled, as happy,  or even as content, as the y could be.

If i can offer help or advice, then i have a duty to do so. 

Not to impose, but to offer advice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No While i am NOT bullied or harassed, there is a clear intent by some to attempt this.

it is this attempt which is wrong, and against the rules, whether it is successful or not 

Bullying behaviour is bullying behaviour, whether it is successful or not. 

Not meaningless But yes i have a lot to teach of value.

  However it is up to others to listen or accept those teachings

You find this narcissistic ? It was my life's work  :) 

MAny humans live lives which are not as empowered.as fulfilled, as happy,  or even as content, as the y could be.

If i can offer help or advice, then i have a duty to do so. 

Not to impose, but to offer advice.  

mr_natural.jpg
 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

My friend, you are humble to a fault and like all human beings, you have many. Contrary to what you might wish, it is those faults that lend to your charm--if you can call it that. In any event, it is what your audience finds most fascinating about you--they just can't get enough!

Oh yea i have LOTS of faults, but lets not talk about them . :) 

Of course i have faults. The y begin with certain family traits like argumentativeness.  I have tried to identify and modify them but without total success 

I am not ambitious in a material way and was very lucky to meet and marry a girl who actually endorsed that characteristic .

I dont socialise really well or widely ( largely because I do not drink)  and again was lucky to meet a girl who is similar. 

I dont take pride in my appearance or that of my car but here i am lucky to have a wife who insists i brush my hair when leaving the house and wash the car every month or so :) (which i pay a young lad to do )  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.