Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is sleep paralysis real?

Lucette

3 hours ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Well the mind can fool you..
People taking hallucinogen drugs experience smells feelings and see things.. 
For them it feels real but its not.

Everything happens in your mind. The illusion is that it dosnt. Yes you receive signals from the external reality, but the internal one is just as real and constructs your actual reality. They are like two different universes exchanging information, and you live in both. 

Edited by SeekerWCF
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I awoke my (now ex) wife from a sleep paralysis episode.

A giant spider was approaching her as she lay, her arms outstretched.

i stood above her, looking into her horrified face, blind to my presence.

Was I the spider?

1 hour ago, HDesiato said:

I awoke my (now ex) wife from a sleep paralysis episode.

A giant spider was approaching her as she lay, her arms outstretched.

i stood above her, looking into her horrified face, blind to my presence.

Was I the spider?

She could see them without you there, so probably not.

• 2 months later...

Hi, one of my first experiences of what we reguard as sleep paralysis happened while fully awake over a friends house 21 years ago. This was the only difference and largely influences my belief that this is no disorder. Also seen many small shadow-blobs dart through wall to wall or sometimes making curved sporadic trails for years while awake. One SP episode featured a fist sized blob proressively morph into full blown humanoid being, screaming continually from it's hooded concealed face. Had these comments taken down on a site so guess they don't want to hear the broader range of our experiences. Know it sounds cheesy but genuinely can only describe as i experienced it. The being somehow felt absolutely ancient and typically hated my very existance.

Hi there Fun. Welcome to UM.

Not everything is SP. SP itself can be really real seeming and alarming. I have had minor experiences with it and a couple so intense it took me a while to finally accept they really were not real. The 'enemy" I was dealing with was known to the extent that I knew he was trying to overcome me and was angry, so that would jive with your claim that yours was old and hated you.

Events where you are certain you are fully awake would not be SP. 

SP is real, however, so accounts for a lot that happens during or around sleep imo.

Thanks for reply not a rockstar, Hi, one of my first experiences of what we reguard as sleep paralysis happened while fully awake over a friends house 21 years ago. This was the only difference and largely influences my belief that this is no disorder. Also seen many small shadow-blobs dart through wall to wall or sometimes making curved sporadic trails for years while awake. One SP episode featured a fist sized blob proressively morph into full blown humanoid being, screaming continually from it's hooded concealed face. Had these comments taken down on a site so guess they don't want to hear the broader range of our experiences. Know it sounds cheesy but genuinely can only describe as i experienced it. The being somehow felt absolutely ancient and typically hated my very existance.

Thanks for the reply not a rock star, something went wrong an hour ago then u posted, but spent next hour continuing writing but only beginning got posted so my brain is fried now lol. Yeah technically doesn't fit into confines of sp but was highlighting coralation between wakeful phenomena and simularity during my sp, but honestly i just wrote so much for nothing i'll leave it for another time sorry. Not sure what was the bigger mistake, that or my awful name ha!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, Fungusbreathusaruss said:

Thanks for the reply not a rock star, something went wrong an hour ago then u posted, but spent next hour continuing writing but only beginning got posted so my brain is fried now lol. Yeah technically doesn't fit into confines of sp but was highlighting coralation between wakeful phenomena and simularity during my sp, but honestly i just wrote so much for nothing i'll leave it for another time sorry. Not sure what was the bigger mistake, that or my awful name ha!

I never have but I think you can change your name here. Perhaps ask down in the help section of the forums?

worst case, as new as you are, just make a new account if they don't let you name change. I don't know the rules for the name deal :). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I never have but I think you can change your name here. Perhaps ask down in the help section of the forums?

worst case, as new as you are, just make a new account if they don't let you name change. I don't know the rules for the name deal :). 

People have changed their names around here. There has to be a way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

People have changed their names around here. There has to be a way.

I am sure there has to be. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

I'm totally new to this forum but was looking to see if Sleep Paralysis was fairly common, and this forum cropped up on my Google search.

So I've been having these since I was 19 years of age, over 20 years now. During the last Two -Three years they have got steadily worse and more common. I'm going to best describe what happens on a typical SP night. I can kinda know within a couple of minutes of going to bed that tonight's the night for it to happen, I just sense it and know the build up to it too.

As I'm just about to fall asleep it happens, as soon as my eyes close the SP kicks in and I spend at least 20-25 seconds fighting to open my eyes, the rest of my body is numb and impossible to move. I'm absolutely convinced that if I didn't put up a fight to break out of my sleep then it's curtains for me. Years ago I could have an episode but then fall asleep as normal, however during the last few years I've got practically everything down to a timescale of about 52 minutes, Yes when I know the SP is about to happen that's how long it seems to effect me for. So basically every single time I go to sleep during the 52 minutes I have an episode of fighting to open my eyes, then when that time as elapsed I'm  o.k to carry on with a good night's sleep.

I honestly don't think I could wish this on anyone else and it totally gets me down. 

Colin.

Edited by Colin D
Spelling mistake

On 06/01/2018 at 8:40 PM, Lucette said:

okay so this is my second post, but this time I ask you guys a question : Do you think sleep paralysis is real? See, for the past few days I talk about it with a friend who keeps telling me that it's like a big ass nightmare, like soooo big you hallucinate things, like it's all confined in the world of dreams, right? My family says the same. But I disagree, I think people who have sleep paralysis are seeing real things. But only 3 points of view is not enough so I wondered what do you think about it?

Never had sleep paralysis or anything  like it in my life,  but it seems to be a real physical phenomena.

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Never had sleep paralysis or anything  like it in my life,  but it seems to be a real physical phenomena.

Oh it definitely is Mr Walker. I myself have only had it maybe 20 times, and over half of those was because of trying to project. 

The first few times though OMG, they were terrifying. I was blessed in the sense that I found some good knowledgeable people here, and turned it into a great thing quickly. 

I feel terrible for people who have suffered from SP for years without ever getting a good understanding of it, and what the possibilities are. Especially before the days of the Internet. Many people never even say anything because they don’t want others to think they are crazy. 

But yeah, it’s real, for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think they’re seeing real things too, and I think it’s connected to the spiritual world. I’ve had many experiences. I’ve seen green orbs floating in my room, Ive felt a real person hugging me from behind, and while trying to get out of sleep paralysis it got tighter, or I’ve heard people saying things to me that start to make sense like a week later or even right when I wake up. It’s a very real thing 

• Like 1