Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lucid Dream

Astral500

I've been lucid dreaming for a long time. I can pretty much explain what happens from the time you go to sleep all the way up until the dream first builds . Usually I have full control in all my lucid dreams and usually no one is around . Before the dream builds I see lots of super vivid images in depth and all. So I guess my question is does any one else lucid dream ? And do you know now if these vivid images are visions? And is lucid dreaming beficial to me in any way ?  

2 minutes ago, Astral500 said:

I've been lucid dreaming for a long time. I can pretty much explain what happens from the time you go to sleep all the way up until the dream first builds . Usually I have full control in all my lucid dreams and usually no one is around . Before the dream builds I see lots of super vivid images in depth and all. So I guess my question is does any one else lucid dream ? And do you know now if these vivid images are visions? And is lucid dreaming beficial to me in any way ?  

No visions, but a typical lucid dream.

Many people can 'control' their lucid dream, but remember you are still dreaming and it is not real or a vision.

Thousands of people have lucid dreams and lots of research have been done. So although you may feel you have something unique and special going on, sorry, you have not.

In normal dreams, your self awareness is shut down. That's why they often feel fuzzy and distant. But when lucid, the conscious brain wakes up during sleep.

This is a safe and natural state. It is not anything spooky or paranormal (in fact, out of body experiences are thought to be explained by the lucid dream state). With lucid dreams, you are always asleep in bed.

the modern term "lucid dreaming" was not created until the 1800s by the passionate dream researcher Marquis d'Hervey de Saint-Denys

The first scientific evidence of lucid dreaming was produced by the British parapsychologist Keith Hearne in 1975. He did it by catching the pre-determined conscious eye movements from a lucid dreaming volunteer.

Children learn to lucid dream intuitively. And certain medications for degenerative conditions like Parkinson's Disease can cause lucid dreams. Age and cognitive ability appear not to factor into the equation.

Having a lucid dream is not actually that hard, once you tap into the right mechanism.

In fact, one study found that committed students of lucid dreaming were able to have their first lucid dream, on average, between 3-21 days.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/what-is-lucid-dreaming.html

As you can see....lucid dreaming is common and has been known about for a long time. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Astral500 said:

There are many beliefs about lucid dreams, some say they are meaningless, no big deal, others say they are spiritual, etc...but for me, a lucid dream is a way to tap into my own consciousness and ask myself questions or experiment with the state itself. It can be difficult to know you are lucid dreaming, because they are so real, but normally there will be something out of whack in the dream, like a door where none exists, or the room is reversed. I've had many lucid dreams, and some were just fun and interesting, others lovely and uplifting, and some...prophetic. I also have had lucid dreams where I left my home, and thought about someone I know, and found myself with them and they...had the identical experience. My friend and I have actually planned dream dates...to become lucid...and visit each other. So to say they are just a meaningless dream state...is ridiculous. Pay attention to them. They do have meaning...for you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spiratia said:

do have meaning...for you.

Yes, and the same goes to all the other thousands of people who have lucid dreams. 

Did you read the link i posted?  No one is special  or actually leave their body. 

Each dream does certainly have a meaning to the individual because it is based on their own life experience and feelings. It is posible to understand these dreams more, but the woowoo HAS to be left out of it. It clouds what is actually happening to the brain during this stage of dreaming and why it is happening in terms of the connection between the day to day living hours and the 'waking" hours. 

• Like 1

I've had both lucid dreams (95% are lucid) about 4% are hospital drug induced nightmares (post surgery) and 1% precognitive dreams. Lucid dreaming is my default dream state. The precognitive dreams I've had actually stood out because I didn't have control and because the dream was more vivid and linear. My lucid dreaming jumps around and I change boring details or start dreams over etc. I can't do that with the precognitive dreams I've had. I only have nightmares when I'm in recovery or have hospital drugs in my system from a procedure and whoo boy it's like my psyche saves it all up for when I'm not in control and they're awful. 

• Like 2

dm lady

whoo boy it's like my psyche saves it all up for when I'm not in control and they're awful.

Reports like that aren't unusual, that the person experiences some kind of "push back" against controlled lucid dreams.

Personally, I look at dream time as an opportunity for other voices to be heard, voices besides my own waking one. I'm a libertarian even in my own head :) .

(Spiratia: is that your cat in your avatar?)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

dm lady

Reports like that aren't unusual, that the person experiences some kind of "push back" against controlled lucid dreams.

Personally, I look at dream time as an opportunity for other voices to be heard, voices besides my own waking one. I'm a libertarian even in my own head :) .

That's interesting. Lucid dreaming is a side effect for me. My Mom taught me visualization for pain management when I was little. If you've ever seen the movie Mask, it's the same thing. I have chronic sometimes horrible pain and as a kid (this was 1975 or so) the doctors offered me prescription barbiturates. My Mom sat me down at age three and said she wouldn't blame me for taking the drugs but I wouldn't be the same person and I'd already seen kids in the hospital desperate for their next shot or pill. She taught me to visualize a place and describe it in detail to work around the pain. It worked and it translated into lucid dreaming. 

• Like 4

dm lady

You might be interested in this post and the surrounding thread, from a few months ago:

Also, Mask is an awesome movie.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eight bits said:

dm lady

Good morning eight bits...and to begin...yes that is my cat in the avatar. It is an old photo though because that cat is now 13+ years old and the photo was taken when I brought him home. He was ferral, born during a hurricane in 2004, orphaned and cared for by a friend of mine who rescued him and 2 others. When this kitten was eating on its own, she brought him to me. Now to lucid dreams...they are quite fascinating and I have many recorded. I've been recording my dream experiences for many years. 

• Like 2

Spiratia

Thank you for the cat story!

I remember from another thread that you journal your dreams. During the lucid ones, do you try for control (besides the dream character who is you)?

• Like 1

On 08/01/2018 at 0:01 AM, freetoroam said:

Yes, and the same goes to all the other thousands of people who have lucid dreams. 

Did you read the link i posted?  No one is special  or actually leave their body. 

Each dream does certainly have a meaning to the individual because it is based on their own life experience and feelings. It is posible to understand these dreams more, but the woowoo HAS to be left out of it. It clouds what is actually happening to the brain during this stage of dreaming and why it is happening in terms of the connection between the day to day living hours and the 'waking" hours. 

I would agree except where you actually put his to the test and discover that you were observing real events in real time while projecting your consciousness in a lucid dream.

if you can't prove it, then it was probably just a dream, but projecting your consciousness out into real time /space is completely possible, and you can gain enough evidences to prove this for yourself.    Projection of consciousness is a different, and separate, learned skill from lucid dreaming although, in my experience, it was made possible by controlled lucid dreaming. 

Edited by Mr Walker

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 10:26 PM, Mr Walker said:

I would agree except where you actually put his to the test and discover that you were observing real events in real time while projecting your consciousness in a lucid dream.

if you can't prove it, then it was probably just a dream, but projecting your consciousness out into real time /space is completely possible, and you can gain enough evidences to prove this for yourself.    Projection of consciousness is a different, and separate, learned skill from lucid dreaming although, in my experience, it was made possible by controlled lucid dreaming. 

Good to see you are still at it my old friend. I miss our conversations ( formerly seeker79/whitecranefeather)  

On 1/7/2018 at 4:43 AM, Astral500 said:

You can have amazing sex. That is pretty darn beneficial if you ask me. You can also train yourself in many kinds of combat. I used to make rock golems and have fantastic martial arts battles in the mountains while laying in my hammock tent. 

It can also be crazy fun. Launching SUVs at hords of zombies is more fun than an Xbox. 

Edited by SeekerWCF
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SeekerWCF said:

Good to see you are still at it my old friend. I miss our conversations ( formerly seeker79/whitecranefeather)  

Ah great I often wondered what had happened to you,  Good to see you till alive and kicking.

I agree with your post above, that pure fun is one of the great benefits of controlled lucid dreaming, but as you say, learning new skills, trying out different scenarios and role playing as learning experiences, are also valuable 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, eight bits said:

Spiratia

Thank you for the cat story!

I remember from another thread that you journal your dreams. During the lucid ones, do you try for control (besides the dream character who is you)?

I think I must have missed your post here eight bits. About my lucid dreams, when I realize I am dreaming and therefore have become lucid, I usually ask a question or try to do something. I know that too much consciousness can awaken me, so I only try slight control and in particular, I like to fly. I  will say, ok, I am lucid, I want to fly to.....and head someplace. One time I was over what looked like a small planet and I called out...what is that? A voice said it was the moon. I then continue to fly around it and came upon something like structures, and I asked, "what is that?" and a voice said, "It is the moon base." I was so stunned by this answer that I felt a loud snap sound..and woke up. It did leave me shaken for some reason...and I pondered if there really is a moon base.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering.

I, too, am restrained when lucid (which is not often and not something I try for, but it does happen now and then). I tend to walk somewhere, rather than fly - I am not afraid of heights, but not fond of them, either :)

I don't know if the OP is still with us, but I hope they found what they were looking for.

• Like 1

Whe i realize i dream i can change some details, give the dream a theme. When i was younger i kinda tried forcing fun things into my dreams. Nowadays ima kinda lazy when i happens and i just slip back into a different dream without doing anything.

I always found lucid dreams don't give me enough rest, it strains me more then when i just let go and let it roll.

I only force things when i have a nightmare. Then i take control and switch into something more comfortable to sleep with or when i see an entity nearby... then i switch too.

Edited by KaptainKabul