Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's the downside of the Fringe?

Harte

Excellent and extensive article from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Close Encounters of the Racist Kind

Just one snippet:

Shows like “America Unearthed” are heavily discussed on white nationalist alt-history forums, as well as general far right political sites like Stormfront. They are routinely praised for introducing viewers to variations on the Solutrean Hypothesis (see below) and raising the profile of racist pseudo-scholarship.

Really good read.

Harte

• Like 6

What's the downside of the Fringe?

More often than not it adds to the collective stupidity of the human race and as most well know 'you can't fix stupid'! :no:

cormac

• Like 4

It's not so much a problem with the 'fringe' as much as it is a problem with people being objectively wrong.

The idea that the earth revolved around the sun was a fringe concept in Galileo's day, but it was nonetheless true.

I'm not defending these fringe TV shows as true, merely stating that what's wrong with them is that they're objectively wrong, not that they're fringe concepts.

• Like 3

I suggest you read the article.

Fringe is fringe, and these are fringe.

Harte

• Like 1

Some might suggest that SPLC are a pretty productive conspiracy theory generator themselves. They certainly manage to fit their theories that everything is a racist plot into any subject at all. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Some might suggest that SPLC are a pretty productive conspiracy theory generator themselves. They certainly manage to fit their theories that everything is a racist plot into any subject at all. 

Dude...presenting "Solutrean Hypothesis" as if it's truth, and spouting it off on right-wing sites is a racist plot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Do you have evidence to show they are incorrect?

• Like 1

My brother-in-law, Mario Cavallini was heavily involved with the SPLC. I remember them not only going after Frank Collin but helping out when the Asatru asses were calling Kennewick Man their "ancient ancestor". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Dude...presenting "Solutrean Hypothesis" as if it's truth, and spouting it off on right-wing sites is a racist plot.

Especially since genetics and archaeology prove otherwise.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I know nothing about the Solutrean Hypothesis, I was just talking about them in general.

4 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I know nothing about the Solutrean Hypothesis, I was just talking about them in general.

I've read their newsletters as long as I could remember and have been all over their site for years and I haven't found any skewered facts. I actually wish they would go after some groups harder, like the Mormons.

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I feel the same way.

But you rarely see an article critical of the ancient alien/unknown civilization claims so I posted it.

That is to say, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.

Harte

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Excellent and extensive article from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Close Encounters of the Racist Kind

Just one snippet:

Really good read.

Harte

Hello Harte, you  still beating?  It's so cold here you can shake a tree with a squirrel in it and tell if it's male or female by the rattles....how you been?   

seax

• Like 1

Glad to see you again seax.  :D

I'm doing okay. How's by you?

Harte

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I have to agree. The SPLC has done sterling work back in the 1960's, but has subsequently turned into a money machine. As Vlad suggested- they want to find racism EVERYWHERE, otherwise they lose their raison d'etre. (and their funding). 

I was intrigued by this snippet; 

Bestsellers like von Daniken’s Chariots of the Gods (seven million sold and counting) popularized the idea that Aryan-looking aliens brought science and technology to primitive peoples around the world....

Umm.. "Ayran-looking aliens" ? I don't recall Chariots of the Gods having pictures of the alien's faces ? So where does the SPLC suddenly get this "Ayran-looking" idea from ? It all seems a bit flimsy, if not desperate. 

Just now, Harte said:

Glad to see you again seax.  :D

I'm doing okay. How's by you?

Harte

I'm doing well, trying to stay warm.  Been on couple forums --political---one was suppose to be for debate but the problem was the libs if they felt they were losing started calling names and when you threw it back they complained to the moderator....so just thought I would stop in here have not talked to you in a while and thought I would check up on you and the grandson.

seaxB)

• Like 1

Al Gore owes us an apology.  In my neck of the woods we have been in the low teens this week and much of last week.  You didn't send him any money did you Harte?

seax B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Ironically, as the article pointed out, The Solutreans are currently thought to have been recently removed from their black African heritage.

The White Nationalists aren't smart enough to know that.

They see the word "European" and figure its proof of the "White Genocide" outlined in the article, similar to what was endorsed by Andrew Jackson (also in the article.)

Harte

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seax said:

Al Gore owes us an apology.  In my neck of the woods we have been in the low teens this week and much of last week.  You didn't send him any money did you Harte?

seax B)

Oh. Sure.

Sent him my life savings.

Harte

27 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I have to agree. The SPLC has done sterling work back in the 1960's, but has subsequently turned into a money machine. As Vlad suggested- they want to find racism EVERYWHERE, otherwise they lose their raison d'etre. (and their funding). 

I was intrigued by this snippet; 

Umm.. "Ayran-looking aliens" ? I don't recall Chariots of the Gods having pictures of the alien's faces ? So where does the SPLC suddenly get this "Ayran-looking" idea from ? It all seems a bit flimsy, if not desperate. 

Keith Fitzpatrick-Matthews lays out Von Daniken's racism for anyone to see here: https://badarchaeology.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/is-pseudoarchaeology-racist/

Jason Colavito adds another example or two here: www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/the-astonishing-racial-claims-of-erich-von-daniken

The original article conflates Sitchin's Caucasian gods with Von Daniken's ideas, which mirror Sitchins but have a wider application.

Harte

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

"Ayran-looking aliens" ? I don't recall Chariots of the Gods having pictures of the alien's faces ? 

It contains some photographs of ancient rock images from, e.g., Val Camonica, and Tassili in the Sahara (next to pg 161 in my edition).  The implication is that these are ancient images of space travellers.  I have to say that the images didn't strike me as particularly Aryan (especially the one from Tassili).

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Especially since genetics and archaeology prove otherwise.

Wasn't it archaeology that showed the potential link to the Solutrean culture in the preClovis points? Not that I think they would be "white" or that a particularly large migration happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Wasn't it archaeology that showed the potential link to the Solutrean culture in the preClovis points? Not that I think they would be "white" or that a particularly large migration happened.

Similar knapping techniques and blade styles, (pressure flaking) minus the flute don't make a connection.  Any knapper who hunts with a point would see they are just the most effective shape for maximum blood loss. Besides that Solutrean is a LOT older than Clovis and they didn't flute their points.....ever.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Piney said:

Similar knapping techniques and blade styles, (pressure flaking) minus the flute don't make a connection.  Any knapper who hunts with a point would see they are just the most effective shape for maximum blood loss. Besides that Solutrean is a LOT older than Clovis and they didn't flute their points.....ever.

Even if some Solutrean clans did hop the pond, they still wouldn't have been the first in the Americas as Monte Verde predates all the purported finds of "Solutrean points" on this side of the Atlantic (so far as I have seen). Wasnt the. Main argument against the Solutrean Hypothesis that out of all the tools only the points were really similar? I  seem to recall scrapers or some other tool found being marketedly different than the ones in the Solutrean toolkit.

Edited by Jarocal
Fringe theories are like Bratwurst. They go great with beer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Do you have evidence to show they are incorrect?

He disagrees with what they say, so logically they must be incorrect.

Haven't you ever been on teh interwebz before?!

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3