Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mom finds her kidnapped child at party

BruiserBrody

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/03/01/girl.found.alive/

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) --A fire that authorities six years ago thought killed a 10-day-old girl was a ruse to kidnap the infant, Philadelphia police said Monday.

The baby, Delimar Vera, was sleeping in the upstairs front bedroom when a fire broke out at her family's two-story row house in north Philadelphia on December 15, 1997.

Luz Cuevas, her mother, could not find Delimar when she ran into the room. She eventually ran out of the house, overcome by smoke and burned on her face. Her two other children also survived, police said.

Remains of the infant's body were never found, and police concluded they had been incinerated in the flames.

The official cause of the fire was listed as an overheated extension cord attached to a space heater.

But Cuevas never fully believed her daughter died in the fire.

• Like 6

It is nice but the article is 14 years old, a lot can have happened since then.

When police returned to Correa's home to confront her about the DNA results, she had fled, leaving behind three other children.

She remains a fugitive from multiple arrest warrants on charges that include arson, kidnapping and concealing the whereabouts of a child.

I wonder if they ever caught up with her.

• Like 1

I read that she turned herself in and that she got 30 years for the crime. 

There's a couple different articles about it. NY Times and a Fox News story. 

• Like 3

I hope the little girl adjusted, well. What a wrenching and traumatic experience it must have been for her.

• Like 2

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me pathetic that the elitist at CNN who are so ready to tell us how the world should be don't seem to have English 101 as a requirement for their journalist .....   

"a resident of Willingboro, New Jersey, a Philadelphia suburb, started the fire and kidnapped Delimar, whom she passed off as her own" ......   
(It does seem to "fancy" up the sound of a sentence doesn't it ... )

I don't know if this is exactly wrong but it's interesting .....

"Police say they cannot fully explain why Delimar was declared killed" 
"Declared killed"  ....  Let's try how that would work in a Coroner's report :   Cause of death:   killed 

LOL   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me pathetic that the elitist at CNN who are so ready to tell us how the world should be don't seem to have English 101 as a requirement for their journalist .....   

"a resident of Willingboro, New Jersey, a Philadelphia suburb, started the fire and kidnapped Delimar, whom she passed off as her own" ......   
(It does seem to "fancy" up the sound of a sentence doesn't it ... )

I don't know if this is exactly wrong but it's interesting .....

"Police say they cannot fully explain why B
"Declared killed"  ....  Let's try how that would work in a Coroner's report :   Cause of death:   killed 

LOL   

Declared Killed= Terminally Inconvienced