Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Education System

Curious Afonso

Hey, everyone

I want to share with the community these 2 videos related to education and our education system and it's bad constitution/organization/planning...

These videos will for sure open your eyes and want to change the current school system in order to provide this and next generation a better education and preparation for life in general!

• Like 1

Another problem is there is no "fraud laws" for education in the U.S. so they can push a fake agenda such as fraudulent American Indians, Young Earth Creation, Scientology and the Mormon version of Pre-Columbian history and get away with it in private institutions. Or in the case of fake American Indians the U. of Penn can promote them at the taxpayers dollar.

• Like 1

I agree, there's a lot wrong with our  education system BUT ...... promoting the wants of the individual above all else does not produce a healthy society. A balance of the two is required: individual needs with the needs of society as a whole.

• Like 2

In Australia, the education system is focused on developing universal skills (Life Long Learning, Critical Literacy, Critical Thinking, Sustsinsble Living etc).

• Like 5

I think the most important lesson/life skill that children should be taught is how to get on with others ...... how to actively listen, how to solve differences amicably or at the very least, civilly. Social skills need to be actively taught and encouraged, not left to chance. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I think the most important lesson/life skill that children should be taught is how to get on with others ...... how to actively listen, how to solve differences amicably or at the very least, civilly. Social skills need to be actively taught and encouraged, not left to chance. 

So true!

If the human race had these skills naturally then we would already be flying in space instead of fighting all the time!

• Like 4

As the videos in the OP show us, education methods have been designed to mainly prepare students for life under a strict authority that does not require them to think for themselves(I'm speaking very generally, of course). The students are prepared for fixed working hours with fixed breaks. Let's not fool ourselves, a lot of jobs rely on this regime ........ however, what is needed, in my opinion, is a huge shake-up in working life. What happened to work sharing? What happened to leaving school at 15 to become an apprentice? School life and work life are just not flexible enough. I believe everyone, man, woman and child, should have a lot more time during each week to do what they choose to do. This could be more time spent with family; studying a subject just for the fun of it; volunteer work; growing your own veggies; spending more time with pets; doing hand crafts; home cooking etc. etc. ...... the list is endless, the point is, people would be doing what they want at their own pace. Living, truly living, should not be something just for those who can afford to. Oh, and while we're having a big shake-up: everyone should have there own, decent-sized home with some land attached, plus, everyone should have enough money for their lives to be comfortable and fluid .... not stagnant. It would be amazing if governments would effort and money into this. :D  

• Like 2

Curious Afonso? What do you reckon about McLaren's chances in the 2018 Formula 1 season then now they've ditched Honda, since you've re-signed for them yet again? 

• Like 1

Have posted the vid in another thread already but here it is again because it match the thread. And because its brilliant!

• Like 2

I'll honestly admit that public education taught me next to nothing. How to read, write, and math. It did give me an interest in science but no real world skills whatsoever.  I think school is designed to get you to mindlessly follow orders, so that you can either join the military or work force.  Sit down, shut up, do what we say. 

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'll honestly admit that public education taught me next to nothing. How to read, write, and math. It did give me an interest in science but no real world skills whatsoever.  I think school is designed to get you to mindlessly follow orders, so that you can either join the military or work force.  Sit down, shut up, do what we say. 

That was the way once, yes. But there’s been a sea change in policy and desired outcomes from schooling since the turn of the millennium. 

36 minutes ago, toast said:

Have posted the vid in another thread already but here it is again because it match the thread. And because its brilliant!

What an amazing(and funny), video!! :clap:

What a lovely man! :tsu:

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That was the way once, yes. But there’s been a sea change in policy and desired outcomes from schooling since the turn of the millennium. 

This I know. But it would've been nice to have been better prepared for the real world. Rather than being condition to take test. My kids were home schooled after elementary school. So we made sure they did their online work, but also taught them how to cook, get a bank account, manage money, etc. 

• Like 3

On 1/8/2018 at 11:13 PM, ouija ouija said:

What an amazing(and funny), video!! :clap:

What a lovely man! :tsu:

Completely agree ;)

• Like 1

My highschool had required classes called "Planning" and it involved things such as resume-writing, taxes, how to apply for scholarships/bursaries. Cooking and sewing classes were not required but were highly recommended, and most students took one or the other. There were also woodworking, metalworking, electronics, mechanics, and info tech classes available. I'm only 27, so this wasn't that long ago. Public school in Canada. Sounds like I got pretty lucky, after watching some of these videos about the American education system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Podo said:

My highschool had required classes called "Planning" and it involved things such as resume-writing, taxes, how to apply for scholarships/bursaries. Cooking and sewing classes were not required but were highly recommended, and most students took one or the other. There were also woodworking, metalworking, electronics, mechanics, and info tech classes available. I'm only 27, so this wasn't that long ago. Public school in Canada. Sounds like I got pretty lucky, after watching some of these videos about the American education system.

I like that. Some weeks ago I saw a television broadcast here that was about the level of knowledge of German highschool students, who were in the final class, about the administrativ things of the daily life. One young lady said "I can give a 30 minutes talk, in front of 50 people, in latin language. I speak English and French as well. Integral calculation is peanuts to me. Like all the other stuff teached to me. But I have no clue whats important when reading a rental contract or a credit agreement."

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Podo said:

One of my schools dedicates a term (so 8ish weeks) to turning the school into a small community, everyone runs a business or does something that contributes to the community. There are banks, post offices, police, general businesss, people who trade their skills for cash etc ... and importantly a monetary system. The younger kids treat it like a game, and in a way it is for them (although there are imbedded learning activities for their developmental level) but the older kids have to do things like budget, pay wages, pay tax or fines. There’s even a government system that’s defined and run by the students (last year it was a constitutional monarchy, the year before a democracy, the feudal monarchy had a revolt when they started getting too bossy, THAT was fun to be part of).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

One of my schools dedicates a term (so 8ish weeks) to turning the school into a small community, everyone runs a business or does something that contributes to the community. There are banks, post offices, police, general businesss, people who trade their skills for cash etc ... and importantly a monetary system

I suppose they get to choose which part they play? It'd be interesting to see who volunteers to be the pol;ice, could tell you a lot, perhaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I suppose they get to choose which part they play? It'd be interesting to see who volunteers to be the pol;ice, could tell you a lot, perhaps.

Yeap, their roles are up to them. As I said, for thr young kids it’s a bit of role play.