Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two teams have discovered the 4th dimension

NightScreams

26 minutes ago, TheTheosophist said:

Science is a child of mysticism.

Actually it came from natural philosophy. Mysticism hasn't progressed much from archaic superstitious beliefs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTheosophist said:

Theosophists and scientists are indeed both engaged in a search for Truth. However, scientists seek for truth at the outward physical level, whereas Theosophists are concerned with Truth at an inner and more spiritual level, as taught by the great mystics and sages throughout the ages. That deeper Truth is sometimes called the Ancient Wisdom or the perennial philosophy.

And an example of that 'deeper truth' relevant to this thread would be....?  And in what way (please give an example, the best you can think of) does that 'Deeper truth' manifest itself itself in a way that is unexplained by science?

And if it doesn't manifest itself in a meaningful/measurable way, may I suggest ..... it might as well not be there.

58 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

And an example of that 'deeper truth' relevant to this thread would be....?  And in what way (please give an example, the best you can think of) does that 'Deeper truth' manifest itself itself in a way that is unexplained by science?

And if it doesn't manifest itself in a meaningful/measurable way, may I suggest ..... it might as well not be there.

The mystical method of search is quite different than science, although it shares some features with scientific investigation. The mystic has an experience of a sort different from our ordinary day-to-day perception of things. Because that experience is out of the ordinary, the mystic cannot describe it for others in ordinary language. Scientists also may have difficulty stating their explanations in ordinary language, which is fuzzy, so they turn to the precise language of mathematics to express their ideas. Mystics turn instead to metaphor, symbol, and allegory to express the Truth they have perceived.

9 minutes ago, TheTheosophist said:

The mystical method of search is quite different than science, although it shares some features with scientific investigation. The mystic has an experience of a sort different from our ordinary day-to-day perception of things. Because that experience is out of the ordinary, the mystic cannot describe it for others in ordinary language. Scientists also may have difficulty stating their explanations in ordinary language, which is fuzzy, so they turn to the precise language of mathematics to express their ideas. Mystics turn instead to metaphor, symbol, and allegory to express the Truth they have perceived.

Arms tired, at all?  You could have just said, no I can't show you any manifestation.  We live in a spectacularly complex Universe, and we are lucky enough to be sentient and intelligent.  Thus we now understand a lot about that Universe.  Not at all of it, sure enough, but I don't see any 'mystics' adding to our body of knowledge....

Me, I find my ecstasy in this beautiful natural earth and the Universe that surrounds it.  There is more than enough beauty, wonder and complexity here without having to invent myths, monsters, ghosts and gods.

Edited by ChrLzs
badd spelin
  • Like 4

I thought the fourth dimension was time. I've never really understood it, though. 

4 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

I thought the fourth dimension was time. I've never really understood it, though. 

I think this is an accepted way of looking at time (?):

Time meld with all dimensions, 
thats why we say +1 when we talk about dimensions. 
We say 3 +1 to explain our 3 dimensional world + a connected time.
The same would go for all the higher dimensions 4+1, 5+1 etc, but time can have different properties there. 
Space-Time = x+1 

Thats how i make (some) sence of it.

• Like 1