Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hole in ozone layer is healing, study shows

UM-Bot

There has been a distinct reduction in the level of ozone-destroying chemicals in the Earth's atmosphere.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/314730/hole-in-ozone-layer-is-healing-study-shows

Years ago when this was first discovered, I remember that NASA was experimenting with adding chemicals to see if they could encourage the repair to the ozone layer. 

I was very surprised  that this article didn't say if it was effected by such a experiments. 

• Like 1

Canada just implemented a "carbon tax" across all Provinces (approx $1000/year, per family). I was angry at first but now I can see it's already paying off! And they said a drama teacher couldn't lead the country :rolleyes:

• Like 1

co2 does not make holes in ozone, i would think it has more to do with us stop using cfc refrigerants in mid 90s. and cfc based aerosol sprays with numerous consumer products

6 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Canada just implemented a "carbon tax" across all Provinces (approx $1000/year, per family). I was angry at first but now I can see it's already paying off! And they said a drama teacher couldn't lead the country :rolleyes:

No he can't lead, and the carbon tax is a sham.

Look, Canada's PM is literally the biggest joke on the planet right now, I'm a proud Canadian and I can still admit that our PM is a joke. Explain to me how a "carbon tax" fixes ANYTHING. The money they collect is just another tax, it's not repairing anything. The Liberals are corrupt beyond recognition... Look at the minimum wage hike in Ontario and how detrimental it is simply as of January 1st 2018, and it's going to get so much worse. Forecasters are predicting 60,000 to 136,000 jobs will be lost, I know this is provincial but it goes hand in hand with Federal.

I can't imagine a well-informed adult that actually reads reports, and not just headlines from cheerleader news sources would even contemplate voting this below average IQ idiot back in, the sheer amount of people that regret or only voted to legalize marijuana are ridiculously high. Literally, out of everyone I know that voted him in, they wouldn't vote for him again. That's 100% of personal acquaintances I know. That and our corrupt millionaire finance minister with trying to keep his secretive transactions from being taxed like any other citizen.

The carbon tax has been debunked so many times its overwhelming how some people can still stand there and pretend it's actually doing something... I understand if your not informed though, or if politics just isn't your thing, I totally understand and I won't judge you for being uninterested & misinformed about it. But don't pretend like it's a good thing... Canada is in the bottom of Carbon producing nations.

26 minutes ago, mindpurge said:

Explain to me how a "carbon tax" fixes ANYTHING. The money they collect is just another tax, it's not repairing anything. The Liberals are corrupt beyond recognition... Look at the minimum wage hike in Ontario and how detrimental it is simply as of January 1st 2018, and it's going to get so much worse. Forecasters are predicting 60,000 to 136,000 jobs will be lost, I know this is provincial but it goes hand in hand with Federal.

About the carbon tax:  it could be turned into an effective program if ALL the money were returned to the citizens on a per capita basis to spend as they see fit.  Carbon taxes are only half-a-solution.  They make carbon-containing products cost more, but unless that money goes directly back to the citizens, it has little effect on the market.  It is the market we want to influence.

Most carbon taxes function like a sales tax - the purchaser pays it at the check-out counter.  But that way a lot of carbon evades the tax.  Gas that leaks from pipelines isn't taxed.  Carbon lost in refining gasoline doesn't pay the tax.  Oil lost in pipeline failfures and oil spoils doesn't pay the tax.  AND:  oil exported to the United States doesn't pay the tax.

The tax needs to be levied at the well head, mine mouth or port-of-entry.  I'll wager your carbon tax doesn't do that.

About the minimum wage:  lost jobs is only half the story.  As those remaining in the work force spend their raises, they create new jobs and increase sales.  The expansion rate is about 20%.  For each five jobs lost, six are created.  So your forecasters are predicting that 72,000 to 163,200 new jobs will result.

As you said, one has to read beyond the headlines.

Doug

P.S.:  I could say the same thing about Trump.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

16 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

About the carbon tax:  it could be turned into an effective program if ALL the money were returned to the citizens on a per capita basis to spend as they see fit.  Carbon taxes are only half-a-solution.  They make carbon-containing products cost more, but unless that money goes directly back to the citizens, it has little effect on the market.  It is the market we want to influence.

Most carbon taxes function like a sales tax - the purchaser pays it at the check-out counter.  But that way a lot of carbon evades the tax.  Gas that leaks from pipelines isn't taxed.  Carbon lost in refining gasoline doesn't pay the tax.  Oil lost in pipeline failfures and oil spoils doesn't pay the tax.  AND:  oil exported to the United States doesn't pay the tax.

The tax needs to be levied at the well head, mine mouth or port-of-entry.  I'll wager your carbon tax doesn't do that.

About the minimum wage:  lost jobs is only half the story.  As those remaining in the work force spend their raises, they create new jobs and increase sales.  The expansion rate is about 20%.  For each five jobs lost, six are created.  So your forecasters are predicting that 72,000 to 163,200 new jobs will result.

As you said, one has to read beyond the headlines.

Doug

P.S.:  I could say the same thing about Trump.

Doug

Nope, sorry, you are 100% wrong about the job creation.

Many minimum wage workers have noted that they actually received MORE money before the wage hike, look at Tim Hortons workers as an example. Prior to the wage hike, an employee would receive paid breaks and paid lunch. Now, none of their breaks are paid and neither is their lunch. So they lose an entire hour. The wage hike was simply for the Ontario Liberals to gain votes from people that do not do their research, which is most, like you. I haven't heard a single economist forecast positive gains from it, actually it's the complete opposite. If I had to suspect anything, I believe you tried to google anything positive from this at the last minute, informed yourself slightly with idiotic left-wing news sources and presented them here as fact. If you had been following this since the start you would know that minimum wage hike was never the answer and it's detrimental to small business' around the province of Ontario.

Along with the Federal Liberals, they are attempting to destroy small business' across the country, with the new tax laws that prohibits the business owners from doing the tricks the LIBERALS taught them to do in the first place. Look up the new Federal Liberal business tax, its a disgusting ruthless money-grab that puts the government in a self-proclaimed so called moral high ground... especially for those small business' that required these completely legal loopholes that had been encouraged by the previous Conservative government as well... like Farms and small trades companies. Essentially, Justin Trudeau called most small business owners crooks.

Trump isn't perfect either, but I would trade for Trudeau any day of the week... most of what you hear about him from these twisted liberal leftist news outlets is all about phrasing what he said to sound stupid, ignorant or whatever. But the facts are the facts, he's keeping his promises AND their economy is the best it's been in years. Most people don't care, they just don't like him because the person next to them doesn't like him, and they are too gullible to even try to understand what he's doing, they'd rather just get their facts from Colbert or someone similar.

I'll trade up Trudeau for Trump, no problemo. I understand you might not know the current state of things, but he's not really all he's cracked up to be. 

He cut taxes across the board, but I'm not sure if you were aware, the tax plan has a 5 year roll up. So, while it makes out great for everyone in years one and two, but the end of year 5 where special exemptions for folks owning private jets, vineyards, etc get additional tax cuts. As well as the estate tax phasing out over 5 years, the average american worker, middle and lower class alike will be seeing a tax rate on their wages much higher than they currently are to subsidize these additional corporate well fare programs. So yeah it looks good on paper initially, but it's really terrible long term. The short term economic stimulation is only going to result in another crash when that bubble bursts as the tax cut wears off. 

To my knowledge no other promise has been kept, and the one he did keep has thus far really just been a cleverly disguised lie. 

His other promises were...

Build Southern Border Wall (Mexico Will Pay For It): Not built, budget not going to be approved. 25 billion dollar price tag, 1 Billion/year maintenance (To stop 53 million/year from being lost). Proposed to pay with increased tariffs on goods imported from mexico. This results in the cost of goods imported from mexico to cover the increase, meaning that cost gets passed on to the consumer (American citizens), so again another lie if it ever even gets built. Doesn't curtail immigration or drug trafficking. Most drugs and immigrants don't come over that particular border line. 

Drain The Swamp: Swamp is filled to the brim as per usual, just a revolving door of special interest groups. We still have people who own or work for businesses in said industry, regulating that same industry. Seems healthy...right? Promise, unfulfilled.  More swamp monsters now than ever. 

Most of the issue with Trump is that he gets caught in a lie on nearly a daily basis, and is too self absorbed to cop to his own faults. An ounce of humility and honesty would go a long way. 

Side Note: Yay the Ozone is on the mend!

Edited by SyntheticBrilliance