Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Japanese astronaut experiences 'growth spurt'

10 posts in this topic

pallidin

He'll fit...

• Like 1

Fila

Looks like Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story

• Like 2

joc

He didn't grow one millimeter.  He just actually is the height he is in space...but because he has lived his life on Planet Earth...which has Gravity....which eventually pulls everything and everyone down into itself....his full height potential isn't reached...probably has poor posture from sitting so much...what do I know?

• Like 2

seeder

It was fake news.... to a point

A Japanese astronaut has apologised for causing “fake news” when he tweeted he had grown 9cm (3.5ins) after going to the International Space Station.

Norishige Kanai has since corrected his initial claim, made on Tuesday, saying he has actually grown 2cm.

It is common for astronauts to grow between 2cm and 5cm while in space as the vertebrae in their spine stretch out due to the lack of downward pressure from gravity.

Tweeting Wednesday, the 41-year-old said: “Although it was a measurement error, it seems that it has become a serious topic. I am very sorry for the terrible fake news”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/09/japanese-astronaut-tweets-concern-growing-9cm-space/

• Like 3

Saru

More of an error than fake news ( despite his use of the term ) given that he legitimately did announce that he had grown 9cm and believed it to be true at the time. I imagine he will be a lot more careful about checking his facts before making any more grandiose claims on social media in future.

• Like 5

pallidin

I wonder if I can talk my doctor into recommending an excursion to the ISS to temporarily relieve back pain.

Tried my washing machine to spin me around to lengthen my spine but it was cramped, and, I forgot about the last rinse cycle, dang it. :o

• Like 2

RAyMO

A bit worrying though, I in my naivety thought these astronauts were involved in carrying out complex activities / experiments in space - sort of worrying that one would make such a error in measuring a person's height and then proceed to tell the whole planet without double checking.

Really social media has a lot to answer for - it seems to create a need in some people to rush to twit without due consideration .

Edited by RAyMO

pallidin
10 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

A bit worrying though, I in my naivety thought these astronauts were involved in carrying out complex activities / experiments in space - sort of worrying that one would make such a error in measuring a person's height and then proceed to tell the whole planet without double checking.

Really social media has a lot to answer for - it seems to create a need in some people to rush to twit without due consideration .

Fully understandable... when he was being measured he started to float upwards... the other astronaut measuring didn't catch that.

:P

• Like 1