Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has DB Cooper finally been identified ?

UM-Bot

I'm thinking this isn't a new suspect but perhaps just more evidence for a previous person of interest. I also believe it no longer matters to that person of interest. I could be wrong though. 

• Like 3

The history channel had a documentary about DB Cooper a while back. They had a suspect that was a Vietnam vet by the name of Robert Rackstraw.

• Like 2

I've read that the man behind it sent the fbi a letter informing them that he was terminal with only 2 years to live and that he wore a hair piece and left no prints. He also had been on several other flights afterwards and many times walked past fbi agents. The fbi sat on this info until recently. This story reeks of bs. The case should be closed by now.

I saw a program on TV recently, suggesting a direct connection with Cooper and a vet who did the same thing a little later, bears a remarkable resemblance, and was killed after a prison escape on the run lasting 3 months.

Edited by pallidin

"Most crucially, there’s a series of numbers at the bottom of the letter. Tom Colbert, TV producer and lead investigator, said one of the team’s code-breakers noticed the sequence and found corresponding code in an LA Times newspaper archive."

sounds like its time to cash in on another dbcooper documentary and book...

"the FBI refused to acknowledge the findings because "it would have to admit that amateur sleuths had cracked a case the bureau couldn't"- from wikI

They say that  a lot in other websites too. Those mean old FBI agents conspiring against them...

"Rackstraw has posted more than a dozen pleas online for legal representation, but those discussions end when the reading begins. That is why we know, beyond a reasonable doubt, this is the one and only D.B. Cooper." - from Colbert's site.

yup ,if you try to stop people saying you are a hijacker on national TV means you must be guilty....

• Like 1

Hasn't the statute of limitations run out already... I'm asking, I'm pretty sure it has but since I don't live there the laws may wary, though I'm pretty sure that even if they figure out who did it he's already safe.

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

So he sent these letters after the hijacking?

I was wondering that too. I'm not a HUGE DB Cooper researcher but this might be the first I've heard of these letters. I might be mistaken. At my age I'm pretty sure I've forgotten more than I've learned.

• Like 2

$200,000 back then is $1.2 million in today's money.

1 hour ago, The Narcisse said:

I was wondering that too. I'm not a HUGE DB Cooper researcher but this might be the first I've heard of these letters. I might be mistaken. At my age I'm pretty sure I've forgotten more than I've learned.

Yeah, I thought him not surviving the jump was a valid possibility.

Now if they would catch him, would you be in favor of prosecuting?     I bet most people would not be.   The legend is too great.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I thought him not surviving the jump was a valid possibility.

Now if they would catch him, would you be in favor of prosecuting?     I bet most people would not be.   The legend is too great.

I would not. No one was hurt. He's old as dirt now. Let him go. 

If these letters really came from DB Cooper though i'm curious how he is still alive since the letter states he only has 14 months to live. I know sometimes those estimates are wrong...but by almost 50 years?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, _KB_ said:

Hasn't the statute of limitations run out already... I'm asking, I'm pretty sure it has but since I don't live there the laws may wary, though I'm pretty sure that even if they figure out who did it he's already safe.

They filed a john doe case against him. If he is ever found and they feel the case is strong enough they can proceed with prosecution.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

Same here. I always remembered the story as "...and he was never heard from again" . The existence of letters was news to me. (Or as you say, maybe it wasn't and I'm showing my age).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

I would not. No one was hurt. He's old as dirt now. Let him go. 

If these letters really came from DB Cooper though i'm curious how he is still alive since the letter states he only has 14 months to live. I know sometimes those estimates are wrong...but by almost 50 years?

At first I thought I wouldn't want him prosecuted.  I've changed my mind.  They should send him to jail.  Age shouldn't matter when it comes to crimes.  

if he wrote that he had only 14 months to live I would assume its a lie, to discourage detective looking for him after a while.

If I recall correctly, is that the letters were received not long after the incident.

The letters were a mocking apology of sorts. Almost a cant catch me. Writing letters to the police was all the rage before the internet and CSI came along.

I don't recall anything about military codes being specified at the time. The letters were widely thought to be fakes as none of the money had turned up. It was widely assumed he did not survive the drop although the National Enquirer would have an article about every week right next to the one about Elvis and or bigfoot. Back then NE was more about xfile type stuff than just Hollywood. 

I believe the police did analyze the letters to be sure the same person wrote them. 

The person of interest was brought to suspicion by a family member many years later, a nephew I believe. He had a military special forces background. He was deceased by then as I recall. I don't believe it was taken seriously at the time with most thinking the nephew was looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

Something like 20,000$ of the money with matching numbers to the ransom was found by boy scouts on an Oregon riverbank several years ago. It was partially burned. None of the rest has ever been found that I am aware of or turned up being spent.

Incidentally but perhaps unrelated, a  parachute was discovered buried on a rural Oregon farm some years ago matching the age and style but was not believed to be the one used in the crime. I can't recall the reason, but you know people in Oregon are always burying parachutes...

There might be more that's all I can recall off the top of my head and most of this is easy to research.  

• Like 2

I've always felt that McCoy or Lynn Cooper were the best suspects. I have to admit this is really interesting, though. Too soon just yet to know, but this actually might lead somewhere. I look forward to the doc and film adaptation. 

2 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

the National Enquirer would have an article about every week right next to the one about Elvis and or bigfoot.

Lol thats a headline that sells magazines ; "Elvis, Bigfoot and D.B Cooper"

Also a great name for a band =)

• Like 3