Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] Site switch from http:// to https://

Saru

When's the Staff Party ... ?

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

nice!

also nice in the sense that my browser will stop warning me about danger time when i try to log in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saru said:

In keeping with Google's push to have all sites move to https:// ( HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure ), as well as to help ensure that the site remains safe and secure to use,

I thought it stood for HedgehogType Thought-Provoking Sarcasm.
:blink:

• Like 2

Might that be why I've had messages pop up lately saying "unexplained-mysteries.com wants to send you notifications" and "To ensure you get the maximum experience, this site uses cookies"?

Edited by Vlad the Mighty

2 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Might that be why I've had messages pop up lately saying "unexplained-mysteries.com wants to send you notifications" and "To ensure you get the maximum experience, this site uses cookies"?

I suspect you've always had those messages Vlad. Or rather... you had them years ago, clicked on "OK", and then never saw them again.

By switching to HTTPS, your browser thinks that is is a different brand new never-visited website, so it prompts you again. The "allow notifications" option permits Saruman to pop up all those messages about "so-and-so has quoted you in a thread" etcetera. (He writes them all out by hand, you know ? ).

• Like 1

Just now, RoofGardener said:

I suspect you've always had those messages Vlad. Or rather... you had them years ago, clicked on "OK", and then never saw them again.

By switching to HTTPS, your browser thinks that is is a different brand new never-visited website, so it prompts you again. The "allow notifications" option permits Saruman to pop up all those messages about "so-and-so has quoted you in a thread" etcetera. (He writes them all out by hand, you know ? ).

Yes, that was what I was suspecting.

... no cakes, not even a slice of cake ... all we gets are cookies ... what's wrong with a little cake I asks you all ... cookies ... always cookies ... never seen one even after all these years I have I can honestly say ... cookies ... pffft ....

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the UK, our websites have Biscuits, rather than Cookies ! :)

But I agree with third_eye; cakes would be nice occasionally.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, third_eye said:

... no cakes, not even a slice of cake ... all we gets are cookies ... what's wrong with a little cake I asks you all ... cookies ... always cookies ... never seen one even after all these years I have I can honestly say ... cookies ... pffft ....

~

Believing nonetheless in cookies!  I've never seen one either come to think of it.  Is there some kind of cookie conspiracy?

• Like 1

I still can't figure out why all of a sudden a search engine has authority over the whole Internet now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H132 said:

I still can't figure out why all of a sudden a search engine has authority over the whole Internet now

maybe you should google that....

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Maybe I don't really care enough to do that.

See....the reason you don't know the truth is because you don't want to know....and you probably don't really want to know...trust me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

Google is your friend.

:unsure2: 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, H132 said:

Seemples.

Back in the late 1990's, Google where the ONLY ones to actually believe in the World Wide Web, and to take searching seriously. Everybody else at the time - Lycos, Yahoo etc - used a primitive algorithm that produced more spam than meaningful search results. Indeed, many search results merely resulted in "directory listing" websites. (e.g. websites that just show a list of OTHER websites, many of which would ALSO be just lists of websites). The WWW was dying !

Had Google not intervened, it is entirely possible that the WWW would have remained a curiosity not used outside of academic and librarian circles. !

It's ranking alorithm actually produced meaningful results, and filtered out most of the keyword-packed spammy websites.

• The title was changed to [Complete] Site switch from http:// to https://
  • The topic was locked