Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NYC Suing Oil Companies Over Climate Change

susieice

New York City has filed a lawsuit against 5 major oil companies they claim have caused climate change and has effected the city since Superstorm Sandy.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/10/de-blasio-sues-major-oil-companies-over-climate-change/

• Like 2

I was thinking the same thing, but thought I'd just be quiet. :lol:

• Like 1

Maybe NYC will park all those friggin cars. Nobody wants to admit it, but cars are the biggest user of fossil fuels and cause mega emissions, also known as smog in many places.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

It seems that this is becoming pretty common.  Des Moines Water Works sued the drainage districts (farmers) north of them for the cost of cleaning increased nitrate levels.  Eight Northeast states sued the EPA over coal plant pollution blowing in from the Midwest states.

That's just two off the top of my head for stuff happening around my state.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

In Iowa the farmers always win.

• Like 3

Livestock farmers here in Iowa were getting upset about people filming the treatment of animals at farms and slaughterhouses.  So about five years ago we passed a law making it  illegal for people to submit false information for the reason of hiring when applying for jobs at those places.  (We couldn't make it illegal to actually film the animals) 

There is a push to try and make that law go away: http://www.iowastatedaily.com/app_content/article_d32eaa0e-aea8-11e7-9492-231338399c9d.html

But yeah, Farmers first here.

• Like 2

I understand that farmers use fertilizers. People like going to the store and finding food there, whether it's plant or animal. Oil and natural gas is used to heat homes. So is coal in some places. Oil and gas are needed to run all the automobiles that people have. Even producing electricity requires oil or coal or nuclear energy. I guess I don't see people giving up the luxuries that we are accustomed to. Lawsuits aren't going to solve this. Research into cleaner forms of energy is what's needed, but not everyone has wind or water available. You need energy to produce energy. Even solar wouldn't work for everyone.

• Like 2

Can I sue every vehicle owner for causing climate change?

Edited by Myles
  • Like 3

Think about it. Especially in big cities. I know a lot of families that have 4-5 cars. Mom has one, dad has one, all the kids have one. Multiply that by how many families live in cities and suburbs and that's a lot of auto emissions. I will give New Yorkers credit for their use of mass transit. NYC has enormous mass transit systems and a lot of people coming into the city to work use them. Much more so than many other cities.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Being one of the most Liberal cities on the planet, I'm not sure this can be assumed to fail.  If those companies are found to be even marginally liable it will set precedent and could cause real problems down the road.  Leave it to a Lib to use lawfare to steal even MORE from business owners...

• Like 2

I'm wondering how they can be held liable. By far, their largest profits are from everyone in America who goes to a gas station. BP, ExxonMobile, Conoco, Chevron and Shell? I don't mean to be stuck on cars, but who amongst us isn't guilty of helping these companies make huge profits from what they produce? Including New Yorkers.

Edited by susieice

50 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm wondering how they can be held liable. By far, their largest profits are from everyone in America who goes to a gas station. BP, ExxonMobile, Conoco, Chevron and Shell? I don't mean to be stuck on cars, but who amongst us isn't guilty of helping these companies make huge profits from what they produce? Including New Yorkers.

Eh, the article says that they are responsible for 11% of the worlds carbon and methane pollution.  I guess the logic is that if they profit from it, they should help pay for the damage it causes.

But you're right.  Everyone has been using it, so I am guessing everyone will just end up paying through taxes. Last year was $306 billion in weather damages for just the US.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/01/08/hurricanes-wildfires-made-2017-the-most-costly-u-s-disaster-year-on-record/?utm_term=.34e319e53063

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Eh, the article says that they are responsible for 11% of the worlds carbon and methane pollution.  I guess the logic is that if they profit from it, they should help pay for the damage it causes.

It's a crazy thought.   The oil companies are just in the middle.   The consumer is who actually uses it to pollute.   This could set a horrible precedent.   Breweries could then be held liable for what alcohol consumers do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, susieice said:

Maybe NYC will park all those friggin cars. Nobody wants to admit it, but cars are the biggest user of fossil fuels and cause mega emissions, also known as smog in many places.

cars? i do not think so,  i drive in nyc everyday, i have little doubt 1 semi truck makes more emission than dozens of  cars, considering that in nyc vast majority of cars are relatively new,  it will be very hard to find 10+ years old cars here,  when i go upstate the situation is reversed, majority of cars are old ones,  i see cars there that i have not seen in nyc for very long time.   then we have ships, lots of them,  ports are all around nyc,  we have 2 large airports, one of them is jfk, one of the biggest in usa,  amount of emissions planes make does not even compare to hundreds of cars.  also vast majority of taxi cabs in nyc are hybrids, ( hybrid medallion cost 1\3 of what none hybrid cost, and none hybrid is around 1 mil.) and at least half of cars in mahnatten are taxi cabs.  

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

cars? i do not think so,  i drive in nyc everyday, i have little doubt 1 semi truck makes more emission than dozens of  cars, considering that in nyc vast majority of cars are relatively new,  it will be very hard to find 10+ years old cars here,  when i go upstate the situation is reversed, majority of cars are old ones,  i see cars there that i have not seen in nyc for very long time.   then we have ships, lots of them,  ports are all around nyc,  we have 2 large airports, one of them is jfk, one of the biggest in usa,  amount of emissions planes make does not even compare to hundreds of cars.  also vast majority of taxi cabs in nyc are hybrids, ( hybrid medallion cost 1\3 of what none hybrid cost, and none hybrid is around 1 mil.) and at least half of cars in mahnatten are taxi cabs.  

You do have a point. Truck fuel, ship fuel, jet fuel, plastics, diesel/natural gas power plants, etc.  http://www.innovativewealth.com/inflation-monitor/what-products-made-from-petroleum-outside-of-gasoline/

It's every where, honestly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

New Yorkers are known for their use of mass transit. I said before, I give them a lot of credit for that. But, you still see a lot of emissions there, especially when people are sitting in traffic, which in NYC, is a lot of time. Newer cars have emission control systems that are better than the older ones, but don't completely stop the release of carbons. Semi trucks are worse, but necessary to deliver just about everything used by a consumer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

New Yorkers are known for their use of mass transit. 

we have to, believe me if parking and traffic was not an issue very few would take mass transit,  it sucks, constant problems. delays, rerouted trains.. keep in mind Manhattan is where most of the jobs are, not only people from all over new york city work there, but they come from long island, new jersey, even Connecticut.

also i think more people in nyc do not have cars, than in any other city in usa. per capita. many i know do not, they say we do not need one, train, buses go basically in any point in the city, with few exceptions. , parking is a problem in most areas, insurance in nyc is one of the most expensive ones, we pay around 5500 a year  for our 3 cars, only 2 are full coverage, people  got other expences,  rent is thru the roof, 1 bdrm app starts from 1500. electricity bill for small app is around 100, in the summer with ac on it can be double

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

We have a lot of people here in my area of Eastern Pennsylvania who commute to NYC every day for work. Most take buses in. Some carpool. They said the cost of living is much lower here and worth the commute, but they have a very long day. It sounds like investing in improvements to mass transit would be the best idea to control the traffic flow in the city. It's still emissions, but nothing like that sea of autos I see when I go to NYC.

Just wanted to add it isn't only in NYC. I've seen it in Philadelphia, Los Angeles. Gridlock in Las Vegas. Money would be better spent on improvements to the infrastructure so people could commute easier.

Edited by susieice

yea, i agree, but with unions doing what they do best, it will be prohibitively expensive, and there is absolutely no guarantee it will; actually improve anything

• Like 1