Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Two paths to happiness

5 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Philosophically speaking there are two paths to feeling happy, the hedonistic and the eudaimonic. Hedonists take the view that in order to live a happy life we must maximise pleasure and avoid pain. This view is about satisfying human appetites and desires, but it is often short lived.

In contrast, the eudaimonic approach takes the long view. It argues that we should live authentically and for the greater good. We should pursue meaning and potential through kindness, justice, honesty and courage.

https://theconversation.com/true-happiness-isnt-about-being-happy-all-the-time-88600

• Like 2

third_eye

Don't worry everybody, I've just cut us all a new path, its just two bends down from 'Don't worry about it ... "

~

• Like 2

PsiSeeker

Makes me think if an inside joke a friend and I had about Ron and Ralph.  I'l eworry about it laterRon or I'll be Ralph and make "Ron's" life easy.  The difference between immediate gratification and long term consistent happiness!

This sort of thinking makes me question this idea of living "in the now" vs having consideration for "what will be".

Anyway, I definitely believe there exists systems one can follow to be more effective and fulfilled then the general reliance on intuition. 

• Like 1

Hre2breal
On 1/12/2018 at 1:04 AM, third_eye said:

Don't worry everybody, I've just cut us all a new path, its just two bends down from 'Don't worry about it ... "

~

I choose this path thanks haha

• Like 1

Podo

Happy is what we make of it. What is happiness for one is torture for another. my best friend's brother stocks shelves for a grocery store, has been doing so for a decade, has no ambition to even advance within his organisation, but he's happy. I have no idea how, but he's happy. That existence would be the height of pointlessness to me, but who am I to judge him for what makes him happy? He can afford rent and food, and that's basically all anyone ever needs.

As such, I don't know how much I support theories that only involve a set number of paths to happiness. Happiness is simply whatever we make of it.