Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient stone carving may depict supernova

UM-Bot

I love ancient carvings!

Can almost imagine being there when it was scribed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

I love ancient carvings!

Can almost imagine being there when it was scribed.

I use to love when advocational archaeologists and field walkers would bring me in stone heads ( depicting the spirit whose masks I carved) and incised stones and pottery to look at. Just to feel the past was awesome.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I use to love when advocational archaeologists and field walkers would bring me in stone heads ( depicting the spirit whose masks I carved) and incised stones and pottery to look at. Just to feel the past was awesome.  

An experience unlike any another... I envy you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

An experience unlike any another... I envy you!

I don't do it anymore. Prison destroyed that whole career. But once in a while a collector will bring something to the sawmill or I'll find something in a stream bed. 

• Like 1

What if the carving describes an event which took place in our own galaxy? 

8 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

What if the carving describes an event which took place in our own galaxy? 

Well, if it depicts a supernova, it may well "...describe an event which took place in our own galaxy". And if so, what if it does? What's the reason for your question?

2 hours ago, _KB_ said:

Man I'd like to try some of whatever those scientists are drinking

Why? Do you have a problem with the story?

Obviously, without further evidence it's hard to judge the accuracy of the story, but presumably the scientists have some reason for considering the possibility a supernova was visible in that part of the sky 5000 years ago.

On 12/01/2018 at 8:10 AM, Peter B said:

Well, if it depicts a supernova, it may well "...describe an event which took place in our own galaxy". And if so, what if it does? What's the reason for your question?

It will explain a few things such as Saturn's meteorites, mars loss of atmosphere, dinosaurs extinction caused by a meteorite. To complete my idea , the assumed supernova could have been a planetary event , a mass collision between two satelites around mars...

On 1/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, Peter B said:

Why? Do you have a problem with the story?

Obviously, without further evidence it's hard to judge the accuracy of the story, but presumably the scientists have some reason for considering the possibility a supernova was visible in that part of the sky 5000 years ago.

Because there is nothing in that drawing to indicate that... there's also nothing to indicate that it didn't happen, but the former is more important...

Edited by _KB_
Typo
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 4:54 PM, qxcontinuum said:

It will explain a few things such as Saturn's meteorites, mars loss of atmosphere, dinosaurs extinction caused by a meteorite. To complete my idea , the assumed supernova could have been a planetary event , a mass collision between two satelites around mars...

??

So when you say "... an event which took place in our own galaxy..." you actually mean "an event which took place in our own solar system?

Having said that, I suppose it's possible it could be an illustration of something that happened in our solar system. But the thing is, even if it was, such an event would be unlikely to explain the things you've listed. Mars lost its thicker atmosphere billions of years ago, and the extinction of the dinosaurs was tens of millions of years ago; in other words, long before humans existed and long before the carving was made.

On 1/15/2018 at 1:44 AM, _KB_ said:

Because there is nothing in that drawing to indicate that... there's also nothing to indicate that it didn't happen, but the former is more important...

Are you qualified to judge that?

In any case, as the article linked in the OP points out, the figures in the carving can be exactly related to the adjacent constellations of Orion, Taurus, Cetus and Andromeda/Pegasus; and the carving does appear to show two suns up the top. So I'd call that a little more than "nothing".

Plus, the authors of the study are hardly claiming to have made a definitive interpretation, given that the word "may" is used several times. It's evidence-based speculation, and I don't have a problem with that.

The next step would be to ask, if this is true then what other supporting evidence could we look for, and if it's incorrect then what refuting evidence could we look for? For example, could we study the sky around those constellations and see if there's any evidence of a 5000 year old supernova remnant? On the other hand, if it depicts (say) a meteor impact, then could we check for evidence of a 5000 year old impact crater up to a few hundred kilometres away from the site of the carving?

Edited by Peter B

On 20/01/2018 at 0:50 AM, Peter B said:

??

So when you say "... an event which took place in our own galaxy..." you actually mean "an event which took place in our own solar system?

Having said that, I suppose it's possible it could be an illustration of something that happened in our solar system. But the thing is, even if it was, such an event would be unlikely to explain the things you've listed. Mars lost its thicker atmosphere billions of years ago, and the extinction of the dinosaurs was tens of millions of years ago; in other words, long before humans existed and long before the carving was made.

Not really. There was an article here on this forum announcing a recent discovery of the Saturn's rings age. They said the meteorite fragments are no older than 40.000 years. 

Think about it. Whatever happened it was intense to the point it wiped out Mars atmosphere and likely impacted life in earth. We believe we have knowledge of everything and we date back events to million of years but perhaps they could be erroneous. Modern science seems to revel a lot we though we knew...

9 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Not really. There was an article here on this forum announcing a recent discovery of the Saturn's rings age. They said the meteorite fragments are no older than 40.000 years. 

Think about it. Whatever happened it was intense to the point it wiped out Mars atmosphere and likely impacted life in earth. We believe we have knowledge of everything and we date back events to million of years but perhaps they could be erroneous. Modern science seems to revel a lot we though we knew...

??

I've thought about it, but I don't get it. Why is it that these events must have happened at the same time?

Mars's loss of atmosphere has been fairly solidly dated to billions of years ago, not a few thousand years ago.

And if Saturn's rings are as young as you say (a link would be handy), 40000 years is still an order of magnitude older than the carving.

Is everyone overlooking the flying wolf? I think this holds greater implications.

16 minutes ago, TripGun said:

Is everyone overlooking the flying wolf? I think this holds greater implications.

It's probably a hunting dog in the background. Among Algonquian petrographs drawing something a little bit above indicated it was probably behind.