Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Donald Trump cancels February visit to UK

Still Waters

Donald Trump has cancelled a planned visit to the UK in February, where he had been expected to open a new $1bn (£738m) US embassy in London.

The US president tweeted he was not a "big fan" of the new embassy - which is moving from Mayfair to south London.

He blamed Barack Obama's administration for a "bad deal" despite the fact the move was agreed under George W Bush.

The trip was not the controversial full state visit offered by Theresa May, for which no date has yet been set.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42657954

While few people believe that Trump’s decision to stay away has nothing to do with the prospect of having to face some of the UK’s biggest street protests, many have also debunked other claims in his tweet.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/12/debunked-trump-reasons-for-cancelling-london-visit

• Like 2

so how does boycotting the opening of the new American embassy in London going to 'make America great again?'

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

so how does boycotting the opening of the new American embassy in London going to 'make America great again?'

Its a billion dollars saved. Why the hell would building a embassy cost a billion dollars? Besides he didn't say anything about a boycott. Just said he wasn't going on schedule.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Its a billion dollars saved. Why the hell would building a embassy cost a billion dollars? Besides he didn't say anything about a boycott. Just said he wasn't going on schedule.

Nope, the embassy is going ahead, it's built, not sure what is a billion dollars worth, but you can imagine it's state of the art security that takes up most of the budget.  I do have to say I have to chuckle at what is probably the most costly embassy the US currently has, having the best security, in probably what is one of the most secure countries the US is likely to house an embassy in.  It kind of reminds me of an anecdote about a US dignitary visit to an SAS compound in Iraq and the rather amused reaction of the squadron to the secret service's insistence on providing security.

Trump has gone on record, ie: tweeted, that he will not be attending the official opening of the embassy and is blaming Obama for the cheap sale of the old embassy, although apparently the deal was actually made by the Bush administration.  In the media, there is speculation that Trump has chosen to cancel the quick visit due to the likelihood of protests.  While that may be true, he certainly hasn't done himself any favours by cancelling, just makes him look even more stupid than he does already.

The government has stated that this is not the official state visit that has been cancelled, and that offer remains open.

• Like 4

Having looked up the new Embassy, I think I agree with the Orange Leader, on aesthetic grounds at least. What a ghastly Orwellian creation. 

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

This is why. It needs to be as unwelcoming and intimidating as possible. Plus I bet it's got built-in anti-aircraft missiles and air defense radars and probably has a whole department devoted to the Intelligence Services for their essential business of blaming everything on Russia.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image. Images of the embassy are in the OP source links

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

Nope, the embassy is going ahead, it's built, not sure what is a billion dollars worth, but you can imagine it's state of the art security that takes up most of the budget.  I do have to say I have to chuckle at what is probably the most costly embassy the US currently has, having the best security, in probably what is one of the most secure countries the US is likely to house an embassy in.  It kind of reminds me of an anecdote about a US dignitary visit to an SAS compound in Iraq and the rather amused reaction of the squadron to the secret service's insistence on providing security.

Trump has gone on record, ie: tweeted, that he will not be attending the official opening of the embassy and is blaming Obama for the cheap sale of the old embassy, although apparently the deal was actually made by the Bush administration.  In the media, there is speculation that Trump has chosen to cancel the quick visit due to the likelihood of protests.  While that may be true, he certainly hasn't done himself any favours by cancelling, just makes him look even more stupid than he does already.

The government has stated that this is not the official state visit that has been cancelled, and that offer remains open.

Deciding not to walk into a hornets nest sounds pretty smart to me. I guess folks see what they want to though.

• Like 1

This obsession with bashing Trump is nothing new. He's instant copy for a jaded press too lazy to find real news.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

This obsession with bashing Trump is nothing new. He's instant copy for a jaded press too lazy to find real news.  

who needs the press?  Trump tweets every silly little thought he has.

Ultimately Trump will likely be the victim of his own ‘stable genius’.

Edited by Grey Area
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Deciding not to walk into a hornets nest sounds pretty smart to me. I guess folks see what they want to though.

He won't be making very many visits to 'free' countries in the near future then.

• Like 2

But, isnt the opening of new Embassy buildings normally reserved to the Secretary of State? Isnt Rex Tillerson Secretary of State? Is this just another non-story?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keithisco said:

But, isnt the opening of new Embassy buildings normally reserved to the Secretary of State? Isnt Rex Tillerson Secretary of State? Is this just another non-story?

Nope.

The US President tweeted: "Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for 'peanuts,' only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO."

The president had planned to do this then cancelled - wrongly blaming Obama for the decision to relocate.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Nope.

The US President tweeted: "Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for 'peanuts,' only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO."

The president had planned to do this then cancelled - wrongly blaming Obama for the decision to relocate.

Well, all I can find re: New US Embassy Inaugurations are various Ambassadors that have performed this duty. Rex Tillerson's remit is to oversee President Trump's foreign policies through the State Department and the Foreign Service of the United States.

The fact that President Trump withdrew from this duty is not really newsworthy is it?

• Like 2

Wait till he opens the one in Jerusalem, then we'll see some fun. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

who needs the press?  Trump tweets every silly little thought he has.

Ultimately Trump will likely be the victim of his own ‘stable genius’.

Still entertaining fantasies of Trump's inevitable demise? We should be so lucky. "Who needs the press" is rather comical. Trump couldn't have gotten elected without it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

The fact that President Trump withdrew from this duty is not really newsworthy is it?

Only if you want to read between the lines

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Hardly a boycott. It would have been a pointless, grandiose statement and he saved both countries a ton of money by not doing so. Hillary would have done so, all pomp and circumstance and there would have been dancing in the streets, I suppose.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Only if you want to read between the lines

There is too much of this going on already. It's also known as twisting a person's words.

• Like 3

You happy Britons!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

i agree preacherman. the embassy build cost is exorbitant. must house a helluva lot of electronics and not necessarily just for security. I'm sure Obama wasn't playing hard and fast with taxpayers money. sounds like Trump doesn't wanna go and has found a convenient excuse. also, i think the article says that Trump is boycotting the opening.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Hardly a boycott. It would have been a pointless, grandiose statement and he saved both countries a ton of money by not doing so. Hillary would have done so, all pomp and circumstance and there would have been dancing in the streets, I suppose.

you sure about that? politicians live for these photo ops and meet and greets are worth heaps in political capital. like i said earlier i recon that Trump just doesn't wanna go and has conveniently found the one excuse that's believable. i.e. i hate Obama and every think he does offends me. i guess the British establishment should be thankful he didn't use the excuse of eating a bad hot dog and he'll be in the dunny for the duration of the new embassy's opening. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Michelle said:

There is too much of this going on already. It's also known as twisting a person's words.

You have to read between the lines with Trump - otherwise you have a mind full of false information - Even his excuse for cancelling included a false impression.

• Like 1