Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

True self-driving cars to arrive in 2019

UM-Bot

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

man!!! that sounds sexy!!   :tu:

and if any girls/women should read this petrol head comment.... YES....cars can be sexy too!!

Horses work better. That white Arab stud I'm riding in Rogues Gallery II got me some every time.

• Like 1

Perhaps they will include Barfo, a new autonomous Boston Dynamics ride along companion dog as an enticement. Really, I still have a manual transmission because I enjoy being 'engaged' in the adventure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Perhaps they will include Barfo, a new autonomous Boston Dynamics ride along companion dog as an enticement. Really, I still have a manual transmission because I enjoy being 'engaged' in the adventure.

I use to love my 4 speed T-10 in my stang and My T-18 in my first 150.

• Like 1

When this car needs to get over a lane to make an upcoming exit, and people purposely block the car from getting over, what is going to happen?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

When this car needs to get over a lane to make an upcoming exit, and people purposely block the car from getting over, what is going to happen?

It will automatically send the other car a middle finger image.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I think way to many people are going to outright reject this idea for it to ever be main stream. 

I have talked to several people, mostly at work. Not one would even consider getting in a car like that. 

Just wait for a few major wrecks which is certain to happen, people will be terrified to get in one. 

i'd love to have a car like that. i'd get an extra hour of sleep in the morning on the way to work, just would not want it to be the only car i have. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

So, if my self driving car gets into an accident, who gets the the ticket, 'cause I sure as the hell ain't paying it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RAyMO said:

how will a self driving car with no manual controls get me to my mates front door, given that he lives along a mile long lane which doesn't appear on satnav maps?

The cars`s hyper-intelligent AI unit will order you a taxi for the last mile. ("I`m sorry RAyMO, I`m afraid I can`t find your house.")

• Like 3

10 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I think way to many people are going to outright reject this idea for it to ever be main stream. 

Give it 5-10 years and people won't have a choice. First we will see freeways being a driverless car only zone, next will be most highways and then everything else. Driving your own car will be like driving track day cars. Something you only do on a track or on specific out of the way roads.

I mean currently, UK, France and China are looking to completely ban petrol cars around 2020 (give or take a couple of years for the specific country). Another few years after that's in place, driver less cars will be the next put fourth.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

Give it 5-10 years and people won't have a choice. First we will see freeways being a driverless car only zone, next will be most highways and then everything else. Driving your own car will be like driving track day cars. Something you only do on a track or on specific out of the way roads.

I mean currently, UK, France and China are looking to completely ban petrol cars around 2020 (give or take a couple of years for the specific country). Another few years after that's in place, driver less cars will be the next put fourth.

We will have a choice. So long as the message is clear right out the gate. No one is gonna keep making cars people won’t buy in mass. No politician is gonna force people against their will. It would be politically suicide. 

there will be people who will want them, till the first major accident. Hopefully enough will reject it for them to quickly see it isn’t worth wasting the money to make them.

I will never get in a car a human isn’t controlling. 

• Like 1

I like standard driving... it's one of the few times in my life that I feel in control of my destiny; good or bad.

• Like 3

Driverless Electric cars are going to be a nightmare if they meet traffic congestion and need a booster charge. I drive 43 miles each way and it takes one and a half hours each way due to traffic hold ups and speed camera restrictions and that's not during "rush" hours.(going to work or going home).and sometimes it takes over 2 hours.

• Like 2

Then there's the hackers. Nope, nope, and nope. Luckily, I'll probably be dead before I am forced into a driverless car.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Then there's the hackers. Nope, nope, and nope. Luckily, I'll probably be dead before I am forced into a driverless car.

Nah, just to spite you a driverless hearse will take you to the cemetery.

• Like 2

As someone who is visually impaired, and has really poor vision, I welcome this.

Having these cars will give me some form of independence instead of relying on others... Now if we could find a way to replace eyes with better eyes (like maybe cybernetic or growing better ones (or parts that are failing) in the lab) then I can agree with the naysayers.

Otherwise, I'm all for this, and welcome the future of driverless cars because ironically, it give disabled people like independence.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 2:04 AM, preacherman76 said:

We will have a choice. So long as the message is clear right out the gate. No one is gonna keep making cars people won’t buy in mass. No politician is gonna force people against their will. It would be politically suicide. 

there will be people who will want them, till the first major accident. Hopefully enough will reject it for them to quickly see it isn’t worth wasting the money to make them.

I will never get in a car a human isn’t controlling. 

...accidents are exactly why driverless cars are becoming popular. 0 accidents in over 700,000 miles of driving, Preacher. 0 accidents in 700,000 miles (2014)

2016 figures:

Google’s cars have driven more than 1.3 million miles since 2009. They can recognize hand signals from traffic officers and “think” at speeds no human can match. As of January, they had been involved in 17 crashes, all caused by human error. Google has previously predicted they’ll be road-ready by 2020.

Find me any human driver ever that has driven 700,000 miles without any accidents.

There are just too many damn tragedies on the road, most of which are preventable. The number of lives these cars will save is unfathomable. The cost will be freedom (the old "security vs freedom" debacle,) but in this case, as much as it pains me to admit it, the cost of freedom is worth the security. To never worry about a truck driver sleeping at the wheel, or a young girl on her phone merging without looking, or an elderly man blowing a stop sign because of dementia. It ALL goes away when the cars are in control. The numbers are just too hard to argue with, my man. Driverless cars are inevitable, despite the pockets of us that still enjoy driving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flabbins said:

No more speeding fines? Surely the government will lose loads of revenue?

I'm glad you brought that up. Driverless cars will be to traffic tickets what legalization is to marijuana arrests. Maybe that's a convoluted comparison but I think you get the point. Cops will be in the market for a new source of eeeaaasssyyyy money now that they can't peg people for doing 5 over. I'm really not sure what that new revenue will be, hopefully something that impedes our lives as little as possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Find me any human driver ever that has driven 700,000 miles without any accidents.

I know 3 of such drivers and I by myself are at ca. 450.000 miles accident-free.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, toast said:

I know 3 of such drivers and I by myself are at ca. 450.000 miles accident-free.

That's impressive...definitely an exception to the rule

• Like 2

Like other's here have said, a "driverless" car on a city street or highway would also, for me, be more acceptable to have a manual steering overide.

And, the push button break only works if the sensors and mechanisms work.

So, I also want braking override via pedal.

18 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

...accidents are exactly why driverless cars are becoming popular. 0 accidents in over 700,000 miles of driving, Preacher. 0 accidents in 700,000 miles (2014)

2016 figures:

There are just too many damn tragedies on the road, most of which are preventable. The number of lives these cars will save is unfathomable. The cost will be freedom (the old "security vs freedom" debacle,) but in this case, as much as it pains me to admit it, the cost of freedom is worth the security. To never worry about a truck driver sleeping at the wheel, or a young girl on her phone merging without looking, or an elderly man blowing a stop sign because of dementia. It ALL goes away when the cars are in control. The numbers are just too hard to argue with, my man. Driverless cars are inevitable, despite the pockets of us that still enjoy driving.

Seriously? That's nothing. Adding in my truck driving days I have at least that many miles. For all we know this car didn't have any accidents cause of the human drivers around it. This wont save anyone. It will just shift the blame. I mean would you bet your life that your computer will work perfectly every single day without ever having an issue? Cause that's what you are doing. Or that nothing will ever go wrong in the cloud of mass transit? What happens when it does have a problem? Does everyone who happens to be driving at the moment die that day?

Never.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's impressive...definitely an exception to the rule

Not really. I do work with a bunch of truck drivers though.

Another thing not being mentioned is the loss of freedom. To travel where you want when you want without every step of the way being tracked and recorded. Heck to pull up in front of a store so your wife can just run in and grab the one item you needed instead of making her walk across a entire parking lot cause the car parks where it wants to, instead of where you choose to. Or what about a teenager who wants to take his date on a back woods trail for a romantic sunset? Thinking about it, what will be stolen from people is immeasurable.  

It literally baffles me there is a single person in this world that would want this.

Oh well, insurance will always be cheap on a motorcycle. Guess I'll have to move to a warmer climate.  Cause like I said, I will never EVER step foot in such a vehicle.

• Like 2

Also right now if another driver causes a wreck, they can be held responsible. If you think these car companies wont have legislation put in place to protect them when they kill or maim people you are crazy. This will be like all those poor people who get injured or killed from a vaccine. You will be silenced and shamed.

35 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Another thing not being mentioned is the loss of freedom. To travel where you want when you want without every step of the way being tracked and recorded.

Very important point. Some insurance companies already offer black boxes to be installed to cars and these boxes transmit data about the driver`s style of driving to the insurance company`s server. They collect the data for speed, acceleration, breaking, lateral acceleration and the full movement profile. In return, they offer a by 10% reduced insurance amount. As traffic jam is often caused by drivers who sneak and/or do need 5 seconds to start at a green traffic light, the street traffic would collapse if more drivers would have such a black boxe as the black box drivers would drive with an extremly care just to not feed the servers with data that might interpret the driver`s style as to be dangerous or not in compliance to the insurance company`s algorithms of passive driving.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1