Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

True self-driving cars to arrive in 2019

UM-Bot

Its a bad idea to not have a manual control when **** happens!

• Like 8

No pedals or steering wheel

What will we do with our feet and hands?

Oh well, look on the bright side, we can all sit and talk or play games on our mobile phones while the car drives itself.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

Ive never seen why theres a big push to get these cars on the road... I LIKE my car and I LIKE driving it.... self driving cars will be like being in a taxi...

Mind you I spose if they ever replace normal cars....well the criminals will be screwed as no more running away from the cops, or driving away that is....as the cars will observe the speed limits... or be easily disabled by the cops somehow

• Like 5

What will happen when you get out and lock up and walk away ,then the self drive car decides that it wants to go home.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, seeder said:

Ive never seen why theres a big push to get these cars on the road... I LIKE my car and I LIKE driving it.... self driving cars will be like being in a taxi...

Mind you I spose if they ever replace normal cars....well the criminals will be screwed as no more running away from the cops, or driving away that is....as the cars will observe the speed limits... or be easily disabled by the cops somehow

The New Jersey State Police already has a device which sends a signal and shuts down the CPU on late model cars.

• Like 3

Thats not a car at all. Real cars do have a mid-mounted engine and a translucent hood.

:yes:

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

What will happen when you get out and lock up and walk away ,then the self drive car decides that it wants to go home.

You get the bus.

• Like 4

I don't trust the technologies they put in vehicles or any equipment. Those technologies could malfunction and disaster. I operated a type of forklift that had sensors on it to detect objects in front and rear. But when the sensors got a little dust on them, the machine would stop, giving the sensor a false reading, I shudder to think what would happen if a car had that type of sensor and was on a crowded freeway.

• Like 5

There is a lot of euphoria on the subject for years now but I haven`t read much about the question how insurance companies would handle the liability insurance factor. Who to be responsible in case of a system failure that caused, or didnt prevented from, an accident? The "driver"? The software company? The car manufacturer? Today, after an accident happened were it is difficult to determine the causer, both parties get interviewed and an expert will determine the causer based on that interviews and the circumstances of the accident . But who, or what, to interview when both cars involved were in self drive mode? How would the courts be able to handel such scenarios? They are not prepared for in the slightest because all they would have as a base for a judgement would be 2 USB sticks, plus one lawyer per stick. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

As God as my witness I will never ever ride in such a car

You wouldnt ride it anyway because it would ride you.

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, toast said:

You wouldnt ride it anyway because it would ride you.

With my luck it would kill me lol

• Like 1

Silly Money loser....   Will I still need a valid Drivers License to "Ride" in it?  Should not have to...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, toast said:

There is a lot of euphoria on the subject for years now but I haven`t read much about the question how insurance companies would handle the liability insurance factor. Who to be responsible in case of a system failure that caused, or didnt prevented from, an accident? The "driver"? The software company? The car manufacturer? Today, after an accident happened were it is difficult to determine the causer, both parties get interviewed and an expert will determine the causer based on that interviews and the circumstances of the accident . But who, or what, to interview when both cars involved were in self drive mode? How would the courts be able to handel such scenarios? They are not prepared for in the slightest because all they would have as a base for a judgement would be 2 USB sticks, plus one lawyer per stick. 

I came here just to make such a post. 

Until now, it was assumed liability would be on the driver (of course,) as no insurance company is going to absorb accident costs uncontested. Hence why a steering wheel is included in each driverless car - it's insurance for insurance companies. But GM has completely removed any options for driver input so any accident blame CANNOT be placed on a driver as there is literally nothing a driver could do. 

My sister works for a major insurance firm and when I last talked to her about driverless cars, she was adamant they are preparing policies and profit models based on a new world of driverless cars.

However, this was in the summer before GM announced a pedal-less, steering wheel-less car...I should follow up now and see what she says.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, seeder said:

I hear ya. I'm a big gearhead in that I love internal combustion engines and the thrill of a good manual transmission. What does a world of driverless cars mean for guys like us?

It means driving yourself around will become an expensive hobby, just like horse riding after the advent of automobiles. People still ride horses today, but now they do it for fun or for a specific purpose. Also, you need to be fairly well off as horses can be hellishly expensive to own. 

I think there will be insurance tiers for guys who want to drive but you can expect to pay through the nose to have that luxury. A human driver will soon be seen as nothing but a liability compared to driverless cars - and rightly so.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I hear ya. I'm a big gearhead in that I love internal combustion engines and the thrill of a good manual transmission. What does a world of driverless cars mean for guys like us?

It means driving yourself around will become an expensive hobby, just like horse riding after the advent of automobiles. People still ride horses today, but now they do it for fun or for a specific purpose. Also, you need to be fairly well off as horses can be hellishly expensive to own. 

I think there will be insurance tiers for guys who want to drive but you can expect to pay through the nose to have that luxury. A human driver will soon be seen as nothing but a liability compared to driverless cars - and rightly so.

PLUS....one of the joys of driving is IF you can get a classic car....something with class, a great shape, sexy motor and performance

These proposed electric cars are all the same.... like something that come out of a jelly mold... when...or maybe IF....I get the money....I want CLASSIC cars

One of my first loves was the Jaguar XJS

d343801dd482f7e5c7667d7e9f8a616a.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

Just now, seeder said:

PLUS....one of the joys of driving is IF you can get a classic car....something with class, a great shape, sexy motor and perfoemance

These proposed electric cars are all the same.... like something that come out of a jelly mold... when...or maybe IF....I get the money....I want CLASSIC cars

Gorgeous. I love the spoke wheels..

Yeah, I felt the same about electric cars when they came out. It's cool technology and the performance figures are impressive (Tesla,) but they just feel....soulless. The gurgle and roar of a good exhaust is part of the experience of driving. The whir of belts and pulleys, the smell of gas, the rush as RPMs climb in to the powerband...

It's not for everyone but for those of us that "get it", there's nothing like it on Earth

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

It's not for everyone but for those of us that "get it", there's nothing like it on Earth

:yes:

• Like 3

Just now, Piney said:

The New Jersey State Police already has a device which sends a signal and shuts down the CPU on late model cars.

you can make our own, but it will fry the circuits, not just shut them off, and all you need is  widely available,  not sure if  it is legal. probably not, thus i wont say how it is done in details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UFOwatcher said:

Silly Money loser....   Will I still need a valid Drivers License to "Ride" in it?  Should not have to...

with no pedals and steering wheel you'd be a passenger. have a drink put your feet up and relax. 

• Like 1

I think way to many people are going to outright reject this idea for it to ever be main stream. 

I have talked to several people, mostly at work. Not one would even consider getting in a car like that. 

Just wait for a few major wrecks which is certain to happen, people will be terrified to get in one. 

• Like 1

OK I have a delima.

how will a self driving car with no manual controls get me to my mates front door, given that he lives along a mile long lane which doesn't appear on satnav maps?

2 hours ago, seeder said:

PLUS....one of the joys of driving is IF you can get a classic car....something with class, a great shape, sexy motor and performance

That is why I will stick with my 96 Ford 5.0 XL 150. 4x4 . You would love it mate! Custom ordered from the Norfolk VA. plant, 2 engines, 3 transmission, 1 transfer case, sold, killed, left in the bushes to rot, rediscovered, repurchased, rebuilt with a 5.0 interceptor added from a N.J. State Trooper chase car and mufflers meant for a 1952 McCormick tractor and a 350 suspension......but stock tires.....big tires are for little.......you know.......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

That is why I will stick with my 96 Ford 5.0 XL 150. 4x4 . You would love it mate! Custom ordered from the Norfolk VA. plant, 2 engines, 3 transmission, 1 transfer case, sold, killed, left in the bushes to rot, rediscovered, repurchased, rebuilt with a 5.0 interceptor added from a N.J. State Trooper chase car and mufflers meant for a 1952 McCormick tractor and a 350 suspension......but stock tires.....big tires are for little.......you know.......

man!!! that sounds sexy!!   :tu:

and if any girls/women should read this petrol head comment.... YES....cars can be sexy too!!

they DESERVE love.....

Edited by seeder