Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
UM-Bot

True self-driving cars to arrive in 2019

54 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, toast said:

Very important point. Some insurance companies already offer black boxes to be installed to cars and these boxes transmit data about the driver`s style of driving to the insurance company`s server. They collect the data for speed, acceleration, breaking, lateral acceleration and the full movement profile. In return, they offer a by 10% reduced insurance amount. As traffic jam is often caused by drivers who sneak and/or do need 5 seconds to start at a green traffic light, the street traffic would collapse if more drivers would have such a black boxe as the black box drivers would drive with an extremly care just to not feed the servers with data that might interpret the driver`s style as to be dangerous or not in compliance to the insurance company`s algorithms of passive driving.

A guy at work had to drive me home one day not long ago. A car pulls out in front of us while we were doing 55, the speed limit. He had to break hard, and quickly went on to complain they were gonna dock him cause of how he had to use the brake. I looked at him like WTH?? Is 10% really worth all that?

1 person likes this

What will this mean for the trucking industry, that provides a livelihood for hundreds of thousands of families? Heck probably millions of families world wide? Even if the truck still needed someone to monitor, what are they gonna get paid to sit and do next to nothing all day? What about all the jobs (like mine) that are required to make sure their truck company is moving along? Managers, dispatchers, etc etc. Are we gonna get offered a early retirement? :mellow: Not likely.

Really thinking about it, there are many other jobs that require drivers, even for regular vehicles. I guess they join folks like myself who will be fighting for some job they aren't qualified to do, or are over qualified and will be massively under paid. If you are among the lucky few that find such a job with thousands entering the unemployment line.

19 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

...accidents are exactly why driverless cars are becoming popular. 0 accidents in over 700,000 miles of driving, Preacher. 0 accidents in 700,000 miles (2014)

2016 figures:

Find me any human driver ever that has driven 700,000 miles without any accidents.

The only accident I was ever in, in 33 years was when I was struck by a drunk driver 20 years ago. I've driven full size pickups ever since.