Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija Boards?

Priss333

19 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I am sure we would all really like to see this report and teh actual methodology used to conduct this eoperiment as I am not aware of a single legit test.  Do you have alink or a name?

Dr. Gary  Schwartz.......Dr. Julie Beischel

Bleishel Interview

16 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Dr. Gary  Schwartz.......Dr. Julie Beischel

Bleishel Interview

Thnaks but all the links to the "research" on that page are dead. 

I have looked around and both Schwartz and Beischel's work has been rejected by the wider scientific community for poor design and inadequate controls.  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Julie_Beischel    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gary_Schwartz

Schwartz claimed to contact the spirit of a 25 year old man in his parent's bathroom and subsequently tried to charge the parents 3.5 million dollars (see above link)

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Thnaks but all the links to the "research" on that page are dead. 

I have looked around and both Schwartz and Beischel's work has been rejected by the wider scientific community for poor design and inadequate controls.  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Julie_Beischel    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gary_Schwartz

Schwartz claimed to contact the spirit of a 25 year old man in his parent's bathroom and subsequently tried to charge the parents 3.5 million dollars (see above link)

If all that interests you in serious claims of scientific research is whatever dirt things like rationalwiki can come up with, then carry on. The rest of us will read further.

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

If all that interests you in serious claims of scientific research is whatever dirt things like rationalwiki can come up with, then carry on. The rest of us will read further.

What would interest me is actual, tangible proof that someone can talk to the dead but all I saw there is more claims.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

What would interest me is actual, tangible proof that someone can talk to the dead but all I saw there is more claims.

What can you expect beyond controlled experiments showing tremendous odds against chance?

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

What can you expect beyond controlled experiments showing tremendous odds against chance?

I'm sorry but I saw no experiments, even at the Windbridge site.  They simply tell you the results of their "scientific" research without offering a peek at how they did these experiments.    That, in and of itself, is very suspicious as a theory must be repeatable to be accepted as correct.  

38 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I'm sorry but I saw no experiments, even at the Windbridge site.  They simply tell you the results of their "scientific" research without offering a peek at how they did these experiments.    That, in and of itself, is very suspicious as a theory must be repeatable to be accepted as correct.  

I know I saw in Schwartz’s book a lot of detail on the test protocols and results  and etc..

Edited by papageorge1

I believe it was in the Schwartz book, Merc, where they laid it out and I felt it was a decent try to actually get a scientific measure on this, but then it started blurring and mediums started dropping out of the program and last I heard they had maybe a couple dozen certified is all now.

In the end I am not sure what "certified" really means, as you infer, nor do I understand what the purpose was as it seems to have stopped in its activity and basically lives on as something of a source to point to on a resume that a medium is certified. I do not know anything really was done with this started idea.

But, it did start as a real effort, so must be sort of applauded for that bit. JMO.

23 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I believe it was in the Schwartz book, Merc, where they laid it out and I felt it was a decent try to actually get a scientific measure on this, but then it started blurring and mediums started dropping out of the program and last I heard they had maybe a couple dozen certified is all now.

In the end I am not sure what "certified" really means, as you infer, nor do I understand what the purpose was as it seems to have stopped in its activity and basically lives on as something of a source to point to on a resume that a medium is certified. I do not know anything really was done with this started idea.

But, it did start as a real effort, so must be sort of applauded for that bit. JMO.

Yes, looks like they have 17 "certified" medims whose olnt apparent test was two "blinded phone readings" which, frankly, could mean anything.  https://www.windbridge.org/mediums/

I did find a paper by Beischel that looks like it describes her experiment but I haven't read it yet. and it doesn't seem to have been tightly controlled at all.   Readings conducted over the phone and email using a "proxy sitter" as the only control?    http://windbridge.org/papers/BeischelJP71Methods.pdf

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 7:23 PM, ChaosRose said:

It will say things to hurt you. 

And this is reason enough for people to stay clear of it......IMHO.  Be good to yourself, and don't open the door for these "evil spirits" to mess with you.....if they exist.....and they just may.  

It sounds like it began as a serious effort to measure and also not so uproot the "psychic" so much they could not function within their normal environment. Many mediums and psychics work via phone so that is fair enough if they were reading someone they had zero access to or knowledge about, if it was done right and this was monitored and documented. 

I really want to see more of this kind of effort happen, because I believe that most "psychic" results are normal and just not well understood normal events.

But, the vibe I got reading through the associated links and sheer stuff on that site is that a few stayed on it, most drifted off and when the grant money died out so did most of the effort. There was so much emotionalism and drama and the whole mess is sad without science keeping it clean when you start dealing with the emotions around the death of loved ones. I found a link to a medium who channels her own dead son :( who was at war with another medium who said something negative about him or her or whatever and just shut it down at that point. 

Answers do not lie that direction, I fear. But it really was an attempt, Merc, though that is all I can say about it. 

26 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Yes, looks like they have 17 "certified" medims whose olnt apparent test was two "blinded phone readings" which, frankly, could mean anything.  https://www.windbridge.org/mediums/

I did find a paper by Beischel that looks like it describes her experiment but I haven't read it yet. and it doesn't seem to have been tightly controlled at all.   Readings conducted over the phone and email using a "proxy sitter" as the only control?    http://windbridge.org/papers/BeischelJP71Methods.pdf

I did a test on this forum once. Had people guess the amount of change in a brown envelope. Got a Lot of guesses for an envelope that didn't exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

It sounds like it began as a serious effort to measure and also not so uproot the "psychic" so much they could not function within their normal environment. Many mediums and psychics work via phone so that is fair enough if they were reading someone they had zero access to or knowledge about, if it was done right and this was monitored and documented. 

I really want to see more of this kind of effort happen, because I believe that most "psychic" results are normal and just not well understood normal events.

But, the vibe I got reading through the associated links and sheer stuff on that site is that a few stayed on it, most drifted off and when the grant money died out so did most of the effort. There was so much emotionalism and drama and the whole mess is sad without science keeping it clean when you start dealing with the emotions around the death of loved ones. I found a link to a medium who channels her own dead son :( who was at war with another medium who said something negative about him or her or whatever and just shut it down at that point. 

Answers do not lie that direction, I fear. But it really was an attempt, Merc, though that is all I can say about it. 

I understand and belive that she believes what she is doing is real but therre have been many of these "experiments" and they never shows anything fantastical.   If you are interested this article discussed in depth the problem with these types of experiments and the flaw in the researcher's conclusions.   Schwartz, the subject of teh article,  and Beischel worked together and her experiments follow closely how his were run.  https://www.csicop.org/si/show/how_not_to_test_mediums_critiquing_the_afterlife_experiments

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Merc, that was a great write up and is sad to see some really potentially great results, marred because they did not take care to ensure the appearance of no information being leaked or given to the mediums. There were some striking hits, and yet, these scientists did not set it up to ensure the appearances, even knowing the level of criticism was going to be high. 

I will say things I consider to be hits were dismissed by the writer, but, there is unreason and extremism on both sides of the equation. These other issues helped damage the over all credibility of the studies. 

• Like 2

Reading about the mathematical mistakes is incredible. Schwartz needed to hire a mathematician/statistician from his old university. 

When it comes to people assessing hits I can't help but think of the RV believer that thought a tornado was well described by rhythmic and musical.

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, Priss333 said:

My boyfriend was murdered last year, and Ive looked for signs from him since his passing. Weird things have started happening at my house. Just opening and closing doors, lights flickering, hearing foot steps in my kitchen, my music speaker was tossed across my room. Ive had people over & they've witnessed the weird things happening such as the lights and stuff. I just really want to talk to him. I want to know who did this is, as his case is still open. Ive done some research, and I see alot of people saying spirits can manipulate you through these boards. I guess my question is, one- could I do this by myself? What precautions would you suggest I take? Whats the worse that could happen? Ive bought the board already and still havent touched it, because I want to do this the right way. Please tips and recommendations. Dont be mean please - im just a heartbroken girl who is missing her other half dearly. Im lookin for answers & i believe.

Thanks in advanced!

You have invited the spirits to come stay with you and they will drive you crazy and you will not rest.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:13 PM, GlitterRose said:

It's something called a "ghost box." Basically, it just sweeps through AM and FM, randomly. You can change the speed. You end up listening to a lot of dead air and jumbled messages. 

People say it's pareidolia, but I heard my dead parents' voices on it. 

I asked about my Mom and I got her nickname and it said your Dad hurt her (which was true). 

Also, a fair amount of random nasties.

Something tried to tell me my dead Dad was angry at me, and I still think impersonated both my parents.

I got the last message my Dad left on my voicemail.

I got things like...Rose...we love Rose...don't leave us. And then things like...Rose...**** off. 

Something told me to jump (I figured it meant off a bridge or a roof or something).

I was called an infidel by something.

I asked about aliens, and the "ghosts" said that's just silly. I know...the irony. 

At any rate, it'll mess with your head (and your hearing, if you wear headphones and listen to static for too long). 

Plus, it'll definitely kick up the woo around you. Sounds like you already have that issue.

The thing to do would probably be to oust it with a banishment and not encourage it with something like a ghost box.

Yep.   Just touching it invites ghosts to come stay with you.  They get into your thoughts, and mess with your mind until you go mad. You can move and they follow you around for like ever. The end game is jumping from a bridge. The best way I can decsribe it is Sam Wheat in Ghost.

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2018 at 2:05 PM, Priss333 said:

My boyfriend was murdered last year, and Ive looked for signs from him since his passing. Weird things have started happening at my house. Just opening and closing doors, lights flickering, hearing foot steps in my kitchen, my music speaker was tossed across my room. Ive had people over & they've witnessed the weird things happening such as the lights and stuff. I just really want to talk to him. I want to know who did this is, as his case is still open. Ive done some research, and I see alot of people saying spirits can manipulate you through these boards. I guess my question is, one- could I do this by myself? What precautions would you suggest I take? Whats the worse that could happen? Ive bought the board already and still havent touched it, because I want to do this the right way. Please tips and recommendations. Dont be mean please - im just a heartbroken girl who is missing her other half dearly. Im lookin for answers & i believe.

Thanks in advanced!

Hey Priss333. I'm so sorry you've had to suffer this major loss. I wouldn't recommend using a ouija board. You should go to a Paegan shop and purchase a Pendelum. These don't necessarily contact the dead. They simply use your subconcious to control the pendelum. It doesn't open a door and there is usually no long term effects.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 2:05 PM, Priss333 said:

Thanks in advanced!

Sorry your heart is breaking and for your loss.

It seems to me that you are already in contact with, what I will call right now, to be the spirit world.

Yes you can do this by yourself.

Precautions are MANY!

The worse that could happen is... and not to frighten you and I'm sure you have already thought about this but it would be demonic invasion.

Even if you get the name you're looking for or even a comforting message it doesnt mean anything will happen.

Eventually something will happen but things are never at our convenience or time.

Even though his case is still open I'm sure they know much more about the case then they're letting on.

You say you believe, but you may have drawn a limit to what things you do believe in. I know it's hard especially when your hurt and angry but if you truely believe then you have to do the next step and that is to trust and to trust is to know that it's being directed and handled by a higher power.

Precautions = preparations for the event that things get out of hand, if you start this now when will it end and the more you open that door the more you're inviting in. Personally I advise against it you are at a fragile state and you dont need more on your mind than you already have.

Just my advice, good luck and message me anytime, no matter what way you go I'll be here.