Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi women are making football history

Unusual Tournament

Saudi Arabia: How women are making football history

Women in Saudi Arabia are making history this month as they are permitted to watch soccer live from the stands for the first time. 

They will be present at grounds in the country's three major cities. 

Saudi Arabia has been slowly granting additional rights to women in recent months in response to demands by activists - but how significant is this latest move?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42656439

• Like 2

LOL that women watching soccer is history making. But I approve of the slow progress for women in Saudi Arabia.

Call me cynical but something tells me it's just appeasement to try and impress their Western allies.

It looks like women still have to sit segregated from the men and must wear full-length robes known as "abayas". I wonder why a football match? I rarely watch it and only then to admire the men. I guess I'm just decadent.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are only making history in Saudi Arabia . The Civilised world have allowed women to watch football for centuries :)

• Like 1

It's a good step. The state of women in Saudi Arabia is abhorrent, but any forward progress is a good thing, if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear. When i went there last year,i heard women are allowed to drive.

I cannot eat that much as I want to vomit. There is no reason to applaud and there is no reason to say "bravo" or "they are on the right way over there in SA". As long as this country is punnishing women and men with public executions, flogging and amputations, they dont deserve any form of assent and/or applause. Its like the absurd claim that Hitler was a good guy because he build the Autobahn (which he dont, BTW).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sameerr said:

Good to hear. When i went there last year,i heard women are allowed to drive.

Indeed. Providing they are driving with their husbands, or a male relative. (female relatives don't count). 

Otherwise they will be dragged out of their car, and publicly whipped. 

Oh the progress. 

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Indeed. Providing they are driving with their husbands, or a male relative. (female relatives don't count). 

Otherwise they will be dragged out of their car, and publicly whipped. 

Oh the progress. 

However so far i didn't saw any women driving in the city iam living currently. 

On 25/01/2018 at 8:04 AM, RoofGardener said:

They are only making history in Saudi Arabia . The Civilised world have allowed women to watch football for centuries :)

I hear women are even playing football in the Western world... scandalous! :rolleyes: