Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Stephen61

There was a time when the moon did not exist

56 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Stephen61

In ancient writings and traditions one can find proof of a time when the moon did not exist. Democretus and Anaxagoras mention that there was a time when no moon could be seen in the night skies. In describing the history of the Greek region of Arcadia, Aristotle writes that the Pelasgians lived in the area since very old times; at a time when the moon did not exist. Apollonios from Rhodes mentions something similar; he talks about a time when not all of the celestial objects existed in the sky; before the time of Deucalion’s and Pyrra’s generation (before the cataclysm); when the moon did not exist and the only humans that existed were the Pelasgians living on the mountains of Arcadia (region in Greece). These inhabitants of Arcadia where also known as Proselenes (meaning “those that were before moon” in Greek).

http://www.historydisclosure.com/there-was-a-time-when-the-moon-did-not-exist/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte

There was a time when the Earth did not exist.

Harte

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
34 minutes ago, Harte said:

There was a time when the Earth did not exist.

Harte

That too was a giant space chicken, her name was Esmeralda.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte

I thought her name was Eartha.

Harte

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion

If the moon did not exist how did they know it was missing and/or to call it the moon?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion

...he talks about a time when not all of the celestial objects existed in the sky; before the time of Deucalion’s and Pyrra’s generation (before the cataclysm); when the moon did not exist and the only humans that existed were the Pelasgians living on the mountains of Arcadia (region in Greece)...

which celestial objects... Not all can mean a few were missing. And how would they know it was missing if it was never named... And #sigh...could the wording not simply be a way of reference.... Like when we say that will happen when pigs fly...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Socks Junior

OP is correct, if only accidentally. The Theia impactor hit a couple of tens of Myr after Earth accretion. So there was a moonless period.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan
1 hour ago, DebDandelion said:

...he talks about a time when not all of the celestial objects existed in the sky; before the time of Deucalion’s and Pyrra’s generation (before the cataclysm); when the moon did not exist and the only humans that existed were the Pelasgians living on the mountains of Arcadia (region in Greece)...

which celestial objects... Not all can mean a few were missing. And how would they know it was missing if it was never named... And #sigh...could the wording not simply be a way of reference.... Like when we say that will happen when pigs fly...

Aye, "before there was a Moon" is just a poetic way of saying "a long, long time ago".  In the same way "40 days and 40 nights" just means "a long time" and is never meant to be taken literally.

If there hadn't been a Moon, we probably wouldn't be here and all life might very well still be in the oceans.  T'was the tides caused by the Moon that led to the slow colonisation of life on land. Hundreds of millions of years ago.   And stablised our orbit.  An important point when looking for life on other worlds!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte

There are geological formations that are ripples caused by the tides dating back billions of years.

If anyone is interested, that is.

Harte

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
Quote

Without the moon, Earth would spin faster, the day would be shorter, and the Coriolis force (which causes moving objects to be deflected to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere, due to Earth’s spin) would be much stronger. This would lead to air circulations in the atmosphere that might look more like Jupiter than what we see on Earth today – multiple east-west jet streams and likely more than one big gyre in the oceans. For example, the Gulf Stream would leave our coast far south of Cape Hatteras.

Those circulations might be less effective at moving heat from the tropics to high latitudes, leading to warmer tropics and colder polar regions.

Second, the moon is responsible for most – but not all – of the tides through its gravitational attraction of Earth’s oceans. To take an example from a tide table for Morehead City, it appears that the typical lunar tidal range, high to low, is about 2.5 feet, while the solar contribution is about 1 foot.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/technology/article23721079.html

And here's an article that details exactly how the moon was essential to the evolution of life on Earth: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/moon-life-tides/

 

Bottom line, the moon not only plays a role in nearly all known history of life on Earth, but it is also essential for nearly all life as we know it to survive.

To suggest the moon didn't exist in the past is sheer and utter lunacy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Socks Junior
5 hours ago, Harte said:

There are geological formations that are ripples caused by the tides dating back billions of years.

If anyone is interested, that is.

Harte

Nerd.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
7 hours ago, DebDandelion said:

If the moon did not exist how did they know it was missing and/or to call it the moon?

"Astral time travel."

:whistle:

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

Clouds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
switchopens

Sources using sources that date back to oral tradition?  Even if Aristotle himself believed this, he is relying on secondary(?) sources with no bases for fact.  One only has to look at Herodotus to know the reliability of such sources. 

The probability of such a myth doesn't seem like such a far out thing in my opinion, since you would have had countless myths from thousands of generations where they had nothing to do at night but tell stories and watch the stars.  A few of these ideas made it to later dates to which someone would record them as such, but again, this is simply proof that people have always had big imaginations, not accurate history.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
16 hours ago, Stephen65 said:

From the article:

Quote

How did the moon get there? Is it a part of the Earth? A planet that entered the magnetic Earth’s magnetic field? Was it naturally formed or made by some lost civilization?

Furthermore, from the HP: "Bosnian Pyramids", "Old Indian Text Describes Aircraft Invisibility Technologies Now Investigated by Modern Science"; "Remote Viewing Used by CIA to Explore Mars", "Official Apollo 17 Photo Shows We Are Not Being Told The Truth About The Moon" and so on.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kmt_sesh
18 hours ago, Stephen65 said:

In ancient writings and traditions one can find proof of a time when the moon did not exist. Democretus and Anaxagoras mention that there was a time when no moon could be seen in the night skies. In describing the history of the Greek region of Arcadia, Aristotle writes that the Pelasgians lived in the area since very old times; at a time when the moon did not exist. Apollonios from Rhodes mentions something similar; he talks about a time when not all of the celestial objects existed in the sky; before the time of Deucalion’s and Pyrra’s generation (before the cataclysm); when the moon did not exist and the only humans that existed were the Pelasgians living on the mountains of Arcadia (region in Greece). These inhabitants of Arcadia where also known as Proselenes (meaning “those that were before moon” in Greek).

http://www.historydisclosure.com/there-was-a-time-when-the-moon-did-not-exist/

Eh, the Greeks were Johnny-come-latelys. The Egyptians were already ancient by the time the Greeks first emerged on the historical stage, and the moon was important in their culture (to gods like Thoth and Khonsu). So...no.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kmt_sesh
15 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, we know.

it was laid by a giant space chicken .... http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kill_the_Moon_(TV_story)

Oh, really? Who came first, the chicken or the moon?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
23 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, really? Who came first, the chicken or the moon?

The moon came first, because the chicken had to cross it to get to the other side.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion

Though you guys gotta admit an Ancient Civilization considering a time when humans existed but that was "before there was a moon" sounds very romantic in the Robert E. Howard/H. Rider Haggard kind of way. Also pretty Tolkieneque.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King

I'm amazed that not only did the moon supposedly not exist back then, but that it came into just the right proximity to Earth so that it didn't crash into the Earth, and instead maintain such a perfect orbit around it so as to allow for life as we know it to exist without the forces of gravity creating massive storms and natural disasters.

Oh right... Guess they'll just blame it on 'Aliens' or somethin. <_<

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I'm amazed that not only did the moon supposedly not exist back then, but that it came into just the right proximity to Earth so that it didn't crash into the Earth, and instead maintain such a perfect orbit around it so as to allow for life as we know it to exist without the forces of gravity creating massive storms and natural disasters.

Oh right... Guess they'll just blame it on 'Aliens' or somethin. <_<

Giant.

space.

chicken.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte

Couldn't be - chickens arose on Earth. AND their eggs are oval.

More likely a giant space turtle.

There's already an infinite stack of them out there holding the Earth up, and their eggs are round.

Harte

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swede
3 hours ago, Harte said:

Couldn't be - chickens arose on Earth. AND their eggs are oval.

More likely a giant space turtle.

There's already an infinite stack of them out there holding the Earth up, and their eggs are round.

Harte

Trivia: The Algonquian name for North America is Turtle Island.

.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jarocal
57 minutes ago, Swede said:

Trivia: The Algonquian name for North America is Turtle Island.

.

I have heard the Shawnee referred to Colonial era Academics at universities as "Kishacoquillas". Perhaps it was in reference to a historically noted chief of that tribe, or maybe not.:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.