Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tunnel entrances spotted on Moon's surface

UM-Bot

Why cant we get a rover setup  and ready to go within 6 months? We should have them stockpiled and ready to go with modular designs for each mission load. And I am being generous when I say 6 months.

1 hour ago, Nzo said:

Why cant we get a rover setup  and ready to go within 6 months? We should have them stockpiled and ready to go with modular designs for each mission load. And I am being generous when I say 6 months.

Budget...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nzo said:

Volkswagen is working on the project already.

• Like 2

1. So That's where THEY hide, when THEY aren't visiting Earth in Their U.F.O's 
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nzo said:

Stockpiled -  Why?

You do know sending a rocket to the moon is not cheap?

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Reminded me of a weird Science Fiction movie starring Walter Koenig.   bluray-moontrap-1.jpg                  

I like that movie... My favorite bit was when that guy tells them to not shoot at the alien thing, because we need to talk to it, to understand it and reason with it "we can't meet it with hostility and guns"... Then it shoots him with an energy weapon and he yells " Get the Son of A B****!"  I always laugh my butt off at that bit...

• Like 2

Reminds me of an anime called Dragonaut.

That anime showed a real nice moon base (with a city) that was set-up inside the moon. Could be real nice to bring something like that to life.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:19 AM, Herr Falukorv said:

I dont believe this is cave entrances I think its just the back slope of hills that is in shadow..
Look how bright it is over all small bumps on the picture and how dark it is under each bump.
Its just the sun lying low on the horizon when the picture was taken..

news-moon-holes-2.jpg

This link might explain why we should at least consider the idea of them being sink-holes: https://lunar-landing.arc.nasa.gov/LLW2018-43

If you scroll down to the bottom of the article (it's only an abstract so there isn't much explanation) the group of photos provide context: these features sit inside rilles - long winding canyons which are the collapsed remains of lava tubes, or, in this case, discontinuous rilles...which means that there are possibly still surviving lava tubes.

Incidentally, note that the small shadowed features in the picture are craters, not bumps. The sunlight is coming from the bottom of the picture.

Also, note that the dark-coloured shapes in the three numbered features are noticeably differently shaped to the shadows in the smaller craters in the picture - they're much more irregular. So the dark-coloured shapes represent a combination of shadow and hole looking into an uncollapsed lava tube. So while they superficially look the same as craters, the authors are suggesting they're more like sink-holes.

On 1/14/2018 at 2:38 AM, White Unicorn said:

I was thinking the same thing that it's weird that these openings weren't discovered until now.

Well, the significance of these particular discoveries is their location.

Philolaus Crater is at 72 degrees north (if it was on the Earth it would be north of the Arctic Circle). This is a part of the Moon which wasn't well mapped until NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter arrived in 2009, and it would probably have taken several passes over the same location to get pictures with suitable lighting. Wikipedia's article on the crater includes a photo of what it looks like from the Earth - so it's not surprising no one spotted these sink-holes any earlier.

• Like 1