Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Blue Monday’ is a hoax

Still Waters

Over the past decade, hordes of innocent people have bought the idea that the third Monday of January is the most depressing day of the year – despite there being no scientific evidence to support it. While retailers, beauty salons, travel agents and many other commercial bodies have capitalised on the concept, originally conceived by a PR company, mental health professionals have despaired. That’s because, to many people, the Monday blues is a reality.

This may in part be due to the power of self-fulfilling prophecy. When we hold some expectations about an event, people, or ourselves, we start behaving in a way that matches our expectations. 

https://theconversation.com/blue-monday-is-a-hoax-but-it-could-become-the-most-depressing-day-of-the-year-if-you-dont-watch-out-89988

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Me too.

• Like 2

The only thing that I can really understand would be a 'blue' Christmas. As it seem that time of the years is always the most depressing for typically real reasons. But there is absolutely nothing that makes one day 'depressing'. The things people believe.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

It is not so.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

49 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Me too.

and me  too..

not #metoo :D

• Like 2

So that's what Blue Monday means. I always thought it was just a song.

52 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The only thing that I can really understand would be a 'blue' Christmas. As it seem that time of the years is always the most depressing for typically real reasons. But there is absolutely nothing that makes one day 'depressing'. The things people believe.:rolleyes:

I would say there are other times that can make people feel blue too, but because of the reasons behind them, not because it's a Monday. That's a bit like people being wary on Friday 13th expecting something to go wrong, it's just a superstition.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

I would say there are other times that can make people feel blue too, but because of the reasons behind them, not because it's a Monday. That's a bit like people being wary on Friday 13th expecting something to go wrong, it's just a superstition.

The only way I can see this as being valid is if a loved one died on the third Monday of January. That makes sense, not so much depression, just sadness. I think they get sadness and depression mixed up too much. 

• Like 1

Actually, the third Monday of January this year is a U.S. national holiday, Martin Luther King Day. A lot of special stuff goes on and many kids get the day off school. That doesn't align with this Blue Monday image as another boring depressing day.

• Like 1