Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New monster of the US Navy

pallidin

Look at those screws and the sonar bubble!

I served on a Guided Missile frigate when I was in the Navy but things have really changed.

• Like 6

The screws looked odd to me.  They almost looked like they had a scalloped texture and that can't be right.  I guess it's just a visual quirk of the light.  That was Ingalls shipyard just west of my childhood hometown.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, and then said:

The screws looked odd to me.  They almost looked like they had a scalloped texture and that can't be right.  I guess it's just a visual quirk of the light.  That was Ingalls shipyard just west of my childhood hometown.  

They remind me of the latest fan technology in the automotive field.

• Like 1

The "scalloped" texture is to increase thrust potential. You would be correct to suggest it's not a "stealth" design. 

But that's on purpose for this type vessel.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, pallidin said:

The "scalloped" texture is to increase thrust potential. You would be correct to suggest it's not a "stealth" design. 

But that's on purpose for this type vessel.

So it's really textured?  I guess they figure the cavitation noise is a decent trade-off for more power.  Interesting post.

• Like 3

Propeller efficiency, noise and vibration requirements are the main considerations for propeller designs that can be applied for a wide variety of speeds and power densities, and for any type of ship.

https://www.wartsila.com/products/marine-oil-gas/propulsors-gears/propellers/wartsila-fixed-pitch-propellers

Just modern technology through research.

• Like 2

What stood out to me is that it seemed more narrow than others I have seen.