Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawaii Missile Alert Saturday Jan., 13

bison

On 1/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, ChaosRose said:

They're obviously gonna institute a failsafe and a recall message now.

I heard the guy saying on the news that they'll have it so that one person alone can't just accidentally press the wrong button.

There will have to be two people involved in initiating and actual alert now. 

This was the most amazing aspect of the whole occurrence to me.  How on EARTH can a government be so shortsighted as to allow a single individual make a call like that without oversight and in a system that is structured to allow a single mistaken press of a button to activate a state-wide warning?  I'm surprised that there weren't multiple car crashes and even coronary's in some folks.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Michelle said:

Schools are thinking of adding news literacy classes to help students critically evaluate what they hear in the media. I heartily approve.

You don’t think that class wouldn’t be guided by the folks at CNN? Many schools are already hard left leaning. Heck Portland had an ANTIFA pedo talk with kids at a middle school not long ago. Do you want that same school teaching people what media to believe or not?

To me, kids need to learn that the media is full of crap the hard way, same as we had to. 

• Like 1

All I'll say is my grandnephew got a alert on his phone. Sent it to my sister, who sent it to me and it scared the **** outta all of us.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

You don’t think that class wouldn’t be guided by the folks at CNN? Many schools are already hard left leaning. Heck Portland had an ANTIFA pedo talk with kids at a middle school not long ago. Do you want that same school teaching people what media to believe or not?

To me, kids need to learn that the media is full of crap the hard way, same as we had to. 

I have to admit that did cross my mind. It would be like teaching religions of the world. It would be difficult to find someone who could do it objectively.

Do you have to subscribe to this service? Are these alerts sent to everyone? How do they know everyone's phone number to send it to? What if you didn't subscribe, and you were the only one who didn't know?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, and then said:

This was the most amazing aspect of the whole occurrence to me.  How on EARTH can a government be so shortsighted as to allow a single individual make a call like that without oversight and in a system that is structured to allow a single mistaken press of a button to activate a state-wide warning?  I'm surprised that there weren't multiple car crashes and even coronary's in some folks.  

Agreed. 

Wired

During a press conference Saturday afternoon, the governor and officials at the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency confirmed that the blunder occurred during a twice-daily test that happens when staffers switch shifts. In this case, the staffer accidentally selected a live alert, instead of a test alert. After the alert went out, there was no way to automatically cancel or recall the message. Instead, they took to Twitter to tell the public the alert was a false alarm, but it took a full 38 minutes to manually generate and disseminate another corrective emergency alert that reached all Hawaiians. Officials said they're now working on speeding up that feature.1

The system has been tested twice a day, every day yet I can't find any history of false alarms. Like, at all. There is one Russian incident that occurred in the '80s, and one other in Connecticut in 2005 but that's it. It seems to me like they have the alarm system down to a Science - and rightly so. 

I believe this was a Government test. I believe they chose a small, isolated population to test public reaction. I believe it's no coincidence this apparent false alarm happened when we are most at risk of a missile strike from NK. Who knows what the Government knows but I don't think this slip up is as innocent as they make it seem. I also find it hard to believe it took 30 minutes to turn it off. Seems more like 30 minutes of "let's see what happens".

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Agreed. 

Wired

The system has been tested twice a day, every day yet I can't find any history of false alarms. Like, at all. There is one Russian incident that occurred in the '80s, and one other in Connecticut in 2005 but that's it. It seems to me like they have the alarm system down to a Science - and rightly so. 

I believe this was a Government test. I believe they chose a small, isolated population to test public reaction. I believe it's no coincidence this apparent false alarm happened when we are most at risk of a missile strike from NK. Who knows what the Government knows but I don't think this slip up is as innocent as they make it seem. I also find it hard to believe it took 30 minutes to turn it off. Seems more like 30 minutes of "let's see what happens".

I've also heard theories that this was intentional for the sake of making people fear Trump and cause him to begin talking to Kim.  

• Like 1

Apparently the same thing happened in Japan

Japan’s national public broadcasting organization erroneously issued an emergency alert Tuesday signaling an imminent North Korean missile strike.

“North Korea appears to have launched a missile,” Japan’s national public broadcaster NHK announced Tuesday evening, “The government urges people to take shelter inside buildings or underground.”

NHK was “deeply” apologetic after it mistakenly sent out the inaccurate emergency alert. The J-alert system, which broadcasts over televisions, to mobile phones, on the radio, and over loudspeakers, is set up to warn the Japanese people in the event of an attack. But, seeing as there was no missile, no alert should have been sent.

Link

Dare I suggest conspiracy?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, and then said:

I've also heard theories that this was intentional for the sake of making people fear Trump and cause him to begin talking to Kim.  

Maybe, but I don't think Trump had much to do with this. Hence his media silence. I think this was more military than Trump administration

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Apparently the same thing happened in Japan

Link

Dare I suggest conspiracy?

You may dare. This conspiracy is not based on UFO's or reptilians, it's very much down to Earth and pragmatic. It's also scary as hell if they were to start running drills for incoming missiles because again, that implies they know something the public doesn't.

• Like 3

So >1M Americans were feared to death for 38 minutes and the "president" didnt commented on the issue for 4 days meanwhile? Or did I missed something?

Because. He. Dont. Care.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, toast said:

So >1M Americans were feared to death for 38 minutes and the "president" didnt commented on the issue for 4 days meanwhile? Or did I missed something?

Because. He. Dont. Care.

Or he has bad intel or they were preparing a press release for him but 4 days is a looong time for a nation to wait for a statement

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Do you have to subscribe to this service? Are these alerts sent to everyone? How do they know everyone's phone number to send it to? What if you didn't subscribe, and you were the only one who didn't know?

No. It's like the Amber alert when a child is missing. It goes out to everyone with a cell phone. The local TV stations run it across the bottom of the screen with a beeping sound. If the situation is dire they cut into the program and make a statement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, and then said:

That's a great point. Where are the extremely important checks and balances? I have to jump through more hoops to renew my driver's license. They need to add more steps to prevent future mistakes. They also need to add two or more sources that could confirm the veracity of the information. It's bizarre to rely on just this particular system. Many people don't check with other sources to make sure that the information is correct. The Japanese accident(?) is another example that demonstrates the need for an overhaul.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

No. It's like the Amber alert when a child is missing. It goes out to everyone with a cell phone. The local TV stations run it across the bottom of the screen with a beeping sound. If the situation is dire they cut into the program and make a statement.

It makes me nostalgic for the days of the old EBS. It likely was a better and safer system. I also prefer the beep over the buzz that replaced it. The buzz is one of the most annoying sounds known to man.

• Like 2

It seems a remarkable coincidence that this sort of egregious human error could have happened twice in a few days, first in Hawaii, then in Japan. Up until now, any sort of errors in emergency alert systems have apparently been very rare.

In the case of Japan, we're told that the alert system worked properly, but there was no missile. Did the person in Japan who actually sent out the alert see information from that system that led him/her to believe that a missile was coming? Was something moving like a missile; very high, and very fast, that was mistaken for a missile for a short period of time? 

I've been skeptical of the 'human error' story in the Hawaii incident. Adding in this second instance, makes me doubt it even more.  

• Like 1

It seems a remarkable coincidence that this sort of egregious human error could have happened twice in a few days, first in Hawaii, then in Japan. Up until now, any sort of errors in emergency alert systems have apparently been very rare.

In the case of Japan, we're told that the alert system worked properly, but there was no missile. Did the person in Japan who actually sent out the alert see information from that system that led him/her to believe that a missile was coming? Was something moving like a missile; very high, and very fast, that was mistaken for a missile for a short period of time? 

I've been skeptical of the 'human error' story in the Hawaii incident. Adding in this second instance, makes me doubt it even more.  

So what would you speculate it was then?

Edited by Vlad the Mighty

On the subject of conspiracy theories, now this is, obviously, an an entirely reliable source ... :unsure:  

NBC News crew spotted inside bunker that sent Hawaii missile alert, just hours before alert went out

A return of the elusive Ghost Rockets, maybe?

These were missile-like objects, seen flying over northern Europe, mainly in 1946. They were tracked on radar, and observed by many, but could never be connected with any actual missile  launches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_rockets

Edited by bison
added information
  • Like 1