Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawaii Missile Alert Saturday Jan., 13

bison

Hawaii was subject to an islands-wide incoming ballistic missile alert this morning. Everyone was urged to seek shelter. There was reportedly widespread panic. It was revealed only later that this had been a false alarm, supposedly due to 'human error'.  Of the five sources I consulted, only one, CNN, made the claim that the 'human error' amounted to someone pushing the wrong button at an emergency alert control center.

I wonder that they wouldn't have some sort of red cap over such a button, that'd have to be pried up before the button could be pushed. As none of the other sources mentioned this detail, I'm wondering if this cause of the false alarm was merely speculation on someone's part, perhaps someone who wasn't familiar with the equipment.

If this wan't the cause of the false alarm, one wonder what did provoke it. An investigation is promised. We'll have to wait and see what can be found out.  Please find  a link, below, to an article with further details. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/us/hawaii-missile.html

• Like 4

It makes me wonder if there was some kind of drill and someone just clicked send on the actual alert.

• Like 3

But you'd think they would have known it right away and immediately sent out a recall.

It took them a long time to tell people there was no actual threat.

• Like 4

Would like to know who is responsible for the "prank".

An emergency alert mistakenly warning of an incoming ballistic missile attack was dispatched to cellphones across Hawaii early Saturday morning, setting off widespread panic in a state that was already extremely anxious because of escalating tensions between the United States and North Korea.

Officials recalled the alert about 40 minutes after it was issued in a scramble of confusion over why it happened. Outrage was immediately expressed by state officials and among people who live in what is normally a famously tranquil part of the Pacific.

The alert went out at about 8:10 a.m., lighting up phones of people still in bed or up for an early surf. “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL,” it read.

(...)

Senator Brian Schatz, a Democrat, said that the alarm was false. “There is no missile threat,” he said. “It was a false alarm based on a human error.” “What happened today is totally inexcusable,” he said. “The whole state was terrified. There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process.”

NYT

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

No one has said that it was a prank. 

They said it was an error. Well, that's for sure. Huge **** up. 

They're saying there was no evidence of a hack. 

They plan to have the FCC investigate further. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

No one has said that it was a prank. 

They said it was an error.

We dont know yet if it was a prank or not but if it was one, its also an error, a big one.

• Like 2

Yes, the way they reacted didn't seem to fit with a straightforward error. I'm thinking it's almost as if an airborne something, looking like a missile, especially in these nervous times, was detected, and it took nearly forty minutes to decide it wasn't a weapon. 

• Like 3

Just now, toast said:

We dont know yet if it was a prank or not but if it was one, its also an error, a big one.

We know what they're saying. They're saying it was human error and not a hack. 

Human error is not the same thing as a prank. A prank is done on purpose. 

I know everyone is justifiably upset about this, but I hope an already horrid situation is not gonna be fodder for the conspiracy theorists. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bison said:

Yes, the way they reacted didn't seem to fit with a straightforward error. I'm thinking it's almost as if an airborne something, looking like a missile, especially in these nervous times, was detected, and it took nearly forty minutes to decide it wasn't a weapon. 

They're saying there was never anything detected. This was from Hawaii's alert system and not from the military.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bison said:

Hawaii was subject to an islands-wide incoming ballistic missile alert this morning. Everyone was urged to seek shelter. There was reportedly widespread panic. It was revealed only later that this had been a false alarm, supposedly due to 'human error'.  Of the five sources I consulted, only one, CNN, made the claim that the 'human error' amounted to someone pushing the wrong button at an emergency alert control center.

I wonder that they wouldn't have some sort of red cap over such a button, that'd have to be pried up before the button could be pushed. As none of the other sources mentioned this detail, I'm wondering if this cause of the false alarm was merely speculation on someone's part, perhaps someone who wasn't familiar with the equipment.

If this wan't the cause of the false alarm, one wonder what did provoke it. An investigation is promised. We'll have to wait and see what can be found out.  Please find  a link, below, to an article with further details. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/us/hawaii-missile.html

I'll have to look at what CNN actually said. I know MSNBC wondered out loud if it could be that simple as someone pushing the wrong button, but I don't think any of the news agencies have information about how the alerts are actually issued yet. 

Certainly, no one has been specifically named as the culprit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

We know what they're saying. They're saying it was human error and not a hack.  

Human error is not the same thing as a prank. A prank is done on purpose. 

I know everyone is justifiably upset about this, but I hope an already horrid situation is not gonna be fodder for the conspiracy theorists.

I`m not creating a CT here, I know what a prank is and we will see later on what caused the allert.

Edited by toast

It doesn't look like CNN made the claim. It looks like Governor Ige explained it that way. 

• Like 1

Apparently, this happened during a shift change. There are 3 shift changes a day, every day. 

I'm not sure how they've gotten by so far with no mistake, if it's that easy to make this mistake. 

And how did no alarm go off for them? That should totally happen. If you press the "red button," you should immediately be able to tell you did that. 

• Like 1

If it's not set up that way, it should be. 

Why didn't their own cell phones immediately go off, thereby alerting them to the fact that they had alerted everyone?

• Like 2

This must have been an absolut horror for the ppl on Hawaii. And its sad that we (humans) were still not able to manage to live without such stuff and the fear caused by it globally. Too much dirty old men in key positions, too much rotten minds in key positions. This must have an end soon.

• Like 1

Yeah I've heard about families huddled in garages, people sitting in their bathtub with their kids praying.

It must have been just horrible. There were many people stuck in traffic or in places with a bunch of windows. Just nowhere to go. 

• Like 2

And then there were the people on the beaches and the people surfing who didn't know anything about it because none of the sirens went off.

• Like 1

I still say how the heck didn't they know right away that they pushed the wrong button...and why didn't they immediately recall it???

You'd think that the whole building would go into alert or something. A siren should go off, lights should flash, something should happen to show everyone that the button has been pushed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lilly said:

The news is now saying that someone just, "hit the wrong button". I'd say someone just, "needs to be fired".  

Yeah, that's probably the understatement of the friggin' century.

• Like 1