Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep paralysis or paranormal??

AmberU

I’m not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place but anyway, when I was younger I used to experience sleep paralysis a lot but this one has stayed with me ever since and I’ve always thought it was sleep paralysis but now I don’t know. 

On Christmas in 2013 I was having this dream and I started sinking into the floor (still in the dream) and it’s like I shifted into sleep paralysis. I was lifting off my bed with both arms in the air and it felt like someone was grabbing my wrists and pulling me up and I think I was trying to pull myself back, but at the same time I was just laying there asleep. After I just dropped back down and I remember my wrists felt weird as if it had actually just happened. Ever since I’ve always thought it was sleep paralysis but now I’m thinking it sounds more paranormal.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it have been an OBE and paralysis together or just sleep paralysis with hallucinations?

Its difficult to say with this one. Our mind is very powerful so sometimes what we feel in a dream can feel as if its just happened in real life. Lacking physical evidence such as marks on the wrist its hard to say

This is actually pretty common among people who get SP regularly. There are people who have strong opinions for and against this being paranormal. Personally I just don't know. I believe its very possible many of these experiences are paranormal. I also believe its possible it isn't.

After looking deeply into both sides, I don't think anyone really knows.

• Like 1

Based on how you describe it, my money is on sleep paralysis. Although I feel that a lot of the things that have happened to me in the past are paranormal, it was suggested to me that I likely experienced sleep paralysis before in regards to some of those events, and I tend to agree (I suggest you read up on it like I did, unless you already have--it's fascinating). My experiences with it are very similar to yours--I feel like there is someone in the room, and they have complete control; I often feel paralyzed or unable to move, sometimes as though I am being restrained; there is residual paralysis or physical feelings soon after the event. I too have experienced pain in my arms or legs, or sometimes the inability to breathe--I think this is similar to what you had with your wrists, and it is generally derived from real pain that is coming from sleeping on your limbs weird or having your face too far in the pillow so you can't breathe. Although I can't explain why it happened to me consistently and for many months, in your case (assuming it only happened once), it's a very safe bet you simply experienced this very uncomfortable phenomenon. I can definitely see why you might think it's paranormal though--it's very, very disturbing when it happens, especially when it's out-of-the-blue.

Edited by Requiem

38 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Based on how you describe it, my money is on sleep paralysis. Although I feel that a lot of the things that have happened to me in the past are paranormal, it was suggested to me that I likely experienced sleep paralysis before in regards to some of those events, and I tend to agree (I suggest you read up on it like I did, unless you already have--it's fascinating). My experiences with it are very similar to yours--I feel like there is someone in the room, and they have complete control; I often feel paralyzed or unable to move, sometimes as though I am being restrained; there is residual paralysis or physical feelings soon after the event. I too have experienced pain in my arms or legs, or sometimes the inability to breathe--I think this is similar to what you had with your wrists, and it is generally derived from real pain that is coming from sleeping on your limbs weird or having your face too far in the pillow so you can't breathe. Although I can't explain why it happened to me consistently and for many months, in your case (assuming it only happened once), it's a very safe bet you simply experienced this very uncomfortable phenomenon. I can definitely see why you might think it's paranormal though--it's very, very disturbing when it happens, especially when it's out-of-the-blue.

There are people who would lead others to believe SP is completely figured out by science. That just isn’t true. 

When you closely examine the claims, they fall way short when you examine many of the cases. 

Just cause a person experiences SP, it doesn’t mean they are not having a paranormal experience. 

Regardless, banishment works. Do the LBRP. You can find it online. 

• Like 1

It does sound like SP to me too. 

The weirdest one I had was that I was having a dream of my old primary school. The dream was in black and white, and I was walking around the school yard. When I reached the sheds at the back of the yard, in the dream I remember thinking "This is a dream". A few mins later I remember thinking "If I don't wake up now I never will". To this day I can still feel every emotion I felt in that dream, and when I did eventually woke up I was half out of SP.

As someone else has already said, the mind is very powerful.