Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chupacabra

Brandy333

Anyone hear about the chupacabra lately?  Is it real?  For a while they were making quite a sensation, but haven't heard anything about them for some time.

7 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Anyone hear about the chupacabra lately?  Is it real?  For a while they were making quite a sensation, but haven't heard anything about them for some time.

Hi Brandy, what Carnoferox has above is the real Chupacabra or 'goatsucker'. This is the root of the story, the nightjar. In the original version, brought over from Europe by the Spanish but tracing its origins at least to Ancient Greece, they suckle milk not blood from the goats. 

All the rest is nonsense tacked on recently. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

Hi Brandy, what Carnoferox has above is the real Chupacabra or 'goatsucker'. This is the root of the story, the nightjar. In the original version, brought over from Europe by the Spanish but tracing its origins at least to Ancient Greece, they suckle milk not blood from the goats. 

All the rest is nonsense tacked on recently. 

That's interesting and a theory I've never heard before.   Many years ago I raised goats, so when news about the Chupacabra first came out it was quite alarming.   It was supposedly a big ugly beast with long claws and fangs, as well as red glowing eyes.  

I did see on search what Carnoferox shows is indeed called goatsucker.   What I've seen on tv called a Chupacabra looks like something similar to a coyote, only with a longer nose, ears, and front legs,   Several years ago on my  way to work in a rural area with heavy woods I saw an animal similar to what I just described, and thought it looked sort of like a Hyena.  Perhaps I saw what some are calling Chupacabra.

Edited by Brandy333

19 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

That's interesting and a theory I've never heard before.   Many years ago I raised goats, so when news about the Chupacabra first came out it was quite alarming.   It was supposedly a big ugly beast with long claws and fangs, as well as red glowing eyes.  

I did see on search what Carnoferox shows is indeed called goatsucker.   What I've seen on tv called a Chupacabra looks like something similar to a coyote, only with a longer nose, ears, and front legs,   Several years ago on my  way to work in a rural area with heavy woods I saw an animal similar to what I just described, and thought it looked sort of like a Hyena.  Perhaps I saw what some are calling Chupacabra.

When the Chupacabra first came to media attention in the mid/late 90's the 'tradition' that was claimed for it was actually the 'goatsucker' traditions of Europe. 

Bear in mind the 90's version was actually based on the film 'Species' as Ben Radford demonstrated.  http://benjaminradford.com/investigations/chupacabra/ The whole idea of there ever having been such a creature was nonsense, but it proved very popular.

As a result it was obviously a good idea to cash in on this, sadly reptilian aliens are thin on the ground, but hairless coyotes aren't, especially not in the south western U.S, where mange is endemic, so it changed again.

• Like 5

A five-year investigation by Benjamin Radford, documented in his 2011 book Tracking the Chupacabra, concluded that the description given by the original eyewitness in Puerto Rico, Madelyne Tolentino, was based on the creature Sil in the science-fiction horror film Species.[2] The alien creature Sil is nearly identical to Tolentino’s chupacabra eyewitness account and she had seen the movie before her report: "It was a creature that looked like the chupacabra, with spines on its back and all... The resemblance to the chupacabra was really impressive," Tolentino reported.[7] Radford revealed that Tolentino "believed that the creatures and events she saw in Species were happening in reality in Puerto Rico at the time," and therefore concludes that "the most important chupacabra description cannot be trusted."[2] This, Radford believes, seriously undermines the credibility of the chupacabra as a real animal.

• Like 1