Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Your personality changes throughout your life

Still Waters

You might be fundamentally you for your entire life, but don’t expect your personality to stay the same.

That’s according to a major study of 50,000 people over the course of several decades, which found the traditional notion of personality – as fixed and unchanged after adolescence – is mostly untrue.

People included in the sample showed a common trend as they got older, declining in all five major personality metrics that psychologists have come to trust as the gold-standard.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/psychology-study-shows-personality-changes-throughout-life-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

• Like 2

Lilly

Good grief, I sure as hades hope I'm not the same as when I was an adolescent. They needed a study to figure this one out?

• Like 6

.ZZ.

I'm not the same that's for sure. I like to think I'm more patient with people and more gracious. :lol:

• Like 3

Grandpa Greenman

Your personality changes with experience and major life events. I changed a lot in my 20's (Having kids will do that.), then beginning in my mid 40's my personality did a complete turn around.  People who had known me a long time even commented on the change.  If your personality doesn't change as you mature, then there is something wrong with you.  

• Like 2

katurian

I used to think about this a lot because I didn't know how a person could fundamentally be themselves despite continuous personality changes. What makes a person a self? I've come to realize the self is the soul, and existence, which is a soul being in a body, is what allows you to have a point of view. It's what makes you view things from your eyes always, despite internal or external changes. 

Not A Rockstar

I have been told that memory/experience is basic to one's personality, so it would make sense you would change as you aged if this is true.

• Like 1

XenoFish

We're hardly the same person we were yesterday.

Hammerclaw
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Lilly said:

Good grief, I sure as hades hope I'm not the same as when I was an adolescent. They needed a study to figure this one out?

You can get a grant to watch grass grow.

Hammerclaw

Our space-time coordinates change from second to second and over the course of a life, most of our cells die and are replaced.

• Like 1

yeplid

Good griefs. I agree. The 20s are a part of that change. I am only 23 yet I realize the changes in myself every year. Even looking back, I as a different person from last year. But hey, change for the better is good.