Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Titanic to be turned in to a tourist attraction

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Titanic to be turned in to a tourist attraction

Wrecks of naval vessels are classified as war graves so that looting and general nosing about in them is, in theory at any rate, illegal. Shame the same doesn't seem to apply to wrecks of merchant ships. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Wrecks of naval vessels are classified as war graves so that looting and general nosing about in them is, in theory at any rate, illegal. Shame the same doesn't seem to apply to wrecks of merchant ships. 

I was going to say they need to leave that graveyard in peace.

• Like 4

I know people probably want to pay their respects and all, but to make it a tourist attraction seems very wrong to me.

• Like 4

I am uncomfortable with the idea of a Titanic tourist attraction. Leave them in peace.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Archaeologists are digging up graves every day.  How long is a respectful wait?

I'm not really against the idea, but for the sake of argument?  Probably until every surviving family member who remembers a victim is dead.

• Like 3

I know people can visit Pearl Harbor, pay their respects and leave flower wreaths. 

"Tourist attraction" does sound awful, though. 

• Like 3

The ship was rumored haunted long before its ill-fated voyage from the many perils during its construction period including those poor souls which had fallen and thus became forgotten between the various layers within the vessels hull. 

11 hours ago, Wizard Archaeus said:

The ship was rumored haunted long before its ill-fated voyage from the many perils during its construction period including those poor souls which had fallen and thus became forgotten between the various layers within the vessels hull. 

OK Hollywood - Here's a plot for a rip and slash ghost story.  Don't waste it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wizard Archaeus said:

That is not accurate. The six people who died in the shipyard were buried, not trapped or forgotten in the hull. Two people died in the works- also not in the hull. Five of the eight total have been identified by name, researchers are still trying to figure out the last three names.

Titanic actually had fewer deaths than the "expected usual" of the time. The "expected usual" amount of deaths for the Titanic according to her building costs would have been set at 15. The Titanic wasn't noted to have an unusual amount of serious or minor injuries either.

There was a ship called the Great Eastern that when dismantled in the 1880's- it had a skeleton in it's hull. This is the original attribution that gets shifted over to the Titanic legend.

• Like 4

Well they had better be quick:

However, scientists believe that in a few decades there may be nothing left of the ship at all, thanks to a species of bacteria which is slowly eating away its iron hull.

Some researchers now give the shipwreck just another 14 years before it is gone forever.

There is more to this than just a tourist attraction.....cyclops 2 is just part of it and a way of letting the people see ( yes and pay for..thr money has to come in somehow) the wonders of the deep.

The key to achieving this goal will be Cyclops 2 - a new five-person submersible that, once complete, will be the only privately owned submersible in the world capable of reaching the Titanic.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/314884/titanic-to-be-turned-in-to-a-tourist-attraction

There is still a lot of research to be done and i personally think this is fascinating;

The exploration team will conduct annual surveys of the wreck in collaboration with scientific and imaging experts from multiple organizations as part of an on-going long-term study to document the current condition of the Titanic maritime heritage site.

http://www.oceangate.com/expeditions/titanic-survey-2018.html

If they can bring the money in to cover all costs...then good for them. But tourists will not be inside the Titanic or whats left of it...surveys are still to be done. 

But just to be able to travel in the cyclops 2 and go down that deep is amazing....Titanic will be just a bonus - while there is still something to see.  But this is an amazing way to see deep beneath the see. 

Almost all the pieces are in place for a Yuletide delivery of Titanic proportions: the completion of a multimillion-dollar underwater craft that’s due to explore the world’s most famous shipwreck next year.

Cyclops 2, a five-person submersible that takes advantage of the latest in marine engineering, is taking shape at OceanGate Inc.’s headquarters on Everett’s waterfront.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.geekwire.com/2017/assembly-required-oceangate-gets-titanic-sub-ready-holidays/amp/

Jacques Cousteau would be so proud and pleased to see what the researchers are achieving...and there is still so much more to come..

Great stuff...bring it all on and well done and good luck to the Oceangate crew and team.

• Like 1

Ah, Capitalism. Any opportunity to turn a buck shall be exploited. However that said, I gotta admit I would take the trip if I could afford it. Fat chance though.

7 hours ago, seanjo said:

Next project is Graveyard Digging tours, pay to dig up a grave and play with the bones...

I once dreampt this! It was called, "Dig up a loved one day" I went with a friend to 'visit' her mother. Brains are so weird.

• Like 1

Surely, in the finale of each "show", numerous weighted dummies in period clothing will be floating agast in the deep.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AZDZ said:

Ah, Capitalism. Any opportunity to turn a buck shall be exploited. However that said, I gotta admit I would take the trip if I could afford it. Fat chance though.

Tut tut AZDZ this is not exploitation. The research is costly and so is the new Cyclops 2, but it  will be still in use after the Titanic has corroded.

I thnk all they are doing is amazing and would love to go down there, but alas doubt i could afford it, but will keep following the work from the Oceangate team.

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Surely, in the finale of each "show", numerous weighted dummies in period clothing will be floating agast in the deep.

Of course! And a giant inflatable iceberg!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rashore said:

That is not accurate. The six people who died in the shipyard were buried, not trapped or forgotten in the hull. Two people died in the works- also not in the hull. Five of the eight total have been identified by name, researchers are still trying to figure out the last three names.

Titanic actually had fewer deaths than the "expected usual" of the time. The "expected usual" amount of deaths for the Titanic according to her building costs would have been set at 15. The Titanic wasn't noted to have an unusual amount of serious or minor injuries either.

There was a ship called the Great Eastern that when dismantled in the 1880's- it had a skeleton in it's hull. This is the original attribution that gets shifted over to the Titanic legend.

Which is why I said it was rumored since it wasn't a verified fact at the time of my researching its veracity.

I would frown upon your presence during any stories of mystery and horror as you might be the one to deflate them all based merely on your fact findings. :)

Though perhaps not accurate do I often tend to favor more the "what if's" narratives which tend to prove more entertaining but then that's just my personal preference. Obviously, the truth will always be more preferred than any conspired fiction. So continue in your lashing of the whip should ever any dare stray from between the lines of authenticity.