Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vet's Mother Denied Visa to Attend Funeral

Agent0range

The father of a U.S. Navy veteran who died of leukemia in December says he is "fuming mad" because his ex-wife was denied a visa to attend their son's funeral.

The father of Ngoc Truong, who served in the Navy for four years before losing his battle with cancer Dec. 17, said his ex-wife, a native of Vietnam, applied for a visa twice, but was denied both times,  WREG-TV reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/12/visa-denials-prevented-navy-vets-mom-from-attending-his-funeral-dad-says.html

Absolutely disgusting.  I guess she didn't have enough "merit points" to attend her son's funeral.

• Like 3

I looked this up because I don't trust Fox. 

Seems to be true, though. 

Very sad.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I looked this up because I don't trust Fox. 

Seems to be true, though. 

Very sad.

Trust me, I didn't initially see it on Fox...but the majority around here won't believe it if it's not a conservative source. 

• Like 1

Just now, Agent0range said:

Trust me, I didn't initially see it on Fox...but the majority around here won't believe it if it's not a conservative source. 

Ha! You could be right about that. 

4 hours ago, Agent0range said:

The majority? lol there are several of you posting hard left leaning sites everyday here. 

• Like 4

Do we know why, although it does say they can not discuss it.

Why she was not allowed to be with her son before he lost his battle with cancer? she had applied before.

I absolutely think this is awful..but there has to be a reason. Really...she could not even come here on a holiday to see her son? 

No not being heartless, obviously the father, ex husband, is upset...but there has to be a reason why she has not been back or allowed back?  

Or is it that bad that no reason ia needed for them to say no, not even to pop over as a tourist? 

10 hours ago, aztek said:

that is unfortunate, but blame lies with us embassy in Vietnam,  who is solely responsible for issuing visas.  

It's the state dept that issues the visas.  They also said that applications were confidential so they won't say why it was denied either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

It's the state dept that issues the visas.  They also said that applications were confidential so they won't say why it was denied either.

no it the embassies, as far as foreign individuals concerned,  she had to go to one, to apply for a visa.  state dept is in charge of embassies, prbly,  but decision to approve or deny is always up to people at the embassy.  most likely the same people who were there during Obama administration. or even before obama.

i'm not sure how it is a thread worthy topic to begin with, us embassies all over the world deny millions of visas every year,  always have.  

Edited by aztek

3 hours ago, aztek said:

no it the embassies, as far as foreign individuals concerned,  she had to go to one, to apply for a visa.  state dept is in charge of embassies, prbly,  but decision to approve or deny is always up to people at the embassy.  most likely the same people who were there during Obama administration. or even before obama.

i'm not sure how it is a thread worthy topic to begin with, us embassies all over the world deny millions of visas every year,  always have.  

A parent unable to be present for the funeral of their child isn't a worthy topic?  Has America really become that callous of a country?

4 hours ago, aztek said:

It’s cause they think Trump was standing in the wings ready and willing to dash the hopes of a grieving Mother because of his deep racism. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

A parent unable to be present for the funeral of their child isn't a worthy topic?  Has America really become that callous of a country?

not really, considering it happens all the time,  in embassies all over the world.  

a person  who reviews the application has all the  power to deny or reject,  if he thinks something  does not sound believable, he will reject regardless of the reason on the application,  a criminal past for the applicant affects it, also previous denials play a large role, we have no idea about who she is, besides being his mother.

Edited by aztek

Even prisoners are allowed to leave prison for a funeral on compassionate grounds.  This funeral is as much for the veteran as it is for his mother.

You know, everyone always say they support veterans. But I guess it is just all lip-speak.  Companies around here used to hire them first.  But then the companies found out that veterans tended to have physical disabilities, mental disabilities, or addictions from the stress of war.  They were "unreliable", so the companies stopped or hired just those who came back whole.

Patriotism in America these days is about wearing the Stars and Stripes on your bathing suit while waving a "Made in China" flag.  Well, Ngoc Truong, the guys you swore to protect may have turned their backs on you but I won't.

and yet we have no clue who his mother was, and why she was denied, there may have been a good reason. 

yes there is always a opposite side of the coin, and honestly i can't blame the companies for doing what they do.  they are not acting on emotion but on reason, and their future as well as safety of their employees depends on their decision,

Edited by aztek

On 1/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, aztek said:

and yet we have no clue who his mother was, and why she was denied, there may have been a good reason. 

yes there is always a opposite side of the coin, and honestly i can't blame the companies for doing what they do.  they are not acting on emotion but on reason, and their future as well as safety of their employees depends on their decision,

His mother's name is Hoan Nguyen. 

And I know why the companies do it as well.  The veterans tend to be broken people and despite what we say, America has no use for broken resources.  Reason and profit is what makes a company survive here, not emotion or compassion.