Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could giant lasers shoot down space debris ?

UM-Bot

Laser can push them down. When vaporizing/heating it, it create expanding gas and thrust. If the laser is in orbit it would work. And it's a clever way to put a anti-missile system in orbit, lol.

• Like 2

Whatever helps, I say... just don't inadvertently "blind" orbiting satellite sensors.

• Like 1

That solution would just compound the problem. Spacecraft equipped with lasers, however, could use them for communication and to deflect or vaporize incoming bogies.

• Like 1

I wonder what the ratio of ferrous/nonferrous metals are. Mostly aluminum I assume.  The main problem is that these objects are zipping every which way. Unfortunately,  I don't see any concrete steps to rectify this happening until something catastrophic occurs with loss of human lives involved. It would also have to be a global effort. 

Hank

Wonder at what point the Earth will appear as a metallic planet to 'outsiders'?

• Like 1

This could be bad for me, as I have put a lot of thought and effort into making money with orbital garbage collection.  On the serious side, orbital debris is becoming a serious problem, and all potential solutions need to be considered.