Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Aztec epidemic mystery may have been solved

6 posts in this topic

Piney

This is the only reason the Spanish won out. The Triple Alliance (Aztec Empire) was hammering them up until this happened.

• Like 2

UFOwatcher

Unintentional biological warfare?

• Like 5

quiXilver

Another reminder that the top predators in any system, are preyed on and consumed by the tiniest and lowest of the system.

Noxasa

That's just the way nature and evolution works.  The two populations would eventually interact together at some point in time, regardless of conquest.  Since the European populations were not devastated by diseases from the New World I guess the immune systems of Europeans were more robust at that time.  Nature's a cruel mistress sometimes.

Jarocal
6 hours ago, Noxasa said:

That's just the way nature and evolution works.  The two populations would eventually interact together at some point in time, regardless of conquest.  Since the European populations were not devastated by diseases from the New World I guess the immune systems of Europeans were more robust at that time.  Nature's a cruel mistress sometimes.

There have been papers published on the subject, by whom evades my memory. Charles Mann gives an overview and gives names which can be used to track down the peer reviewed papers on the subject in his book 1491. If I get time I will try and chase down links to a couple of them.

Edited by Jarocal
  • Like 2